Assessing the damage

Hey guys, I went for an hour ride, got back, was a little tired, bike started to tip, and landed right on a concrete slab. :confused::worthy:?

You can watch the video for what happened... I suspect I need another $200ish to make it back to what it was, in addition to other parts to make it normal... And the best part is I got my paycheck yesterday; $27, for 2 weeks...

"Apparently, the most expense part about dirt biking is all the things you break off every week"

Seat Cover $60

New Rear Tire $75-ish for a cheapie

Grips $20

New brake lever $10 (leave the perches just a shade loose on the bars so that upon impact, they rotate.....most have a small patch of plastic sleeve inside the clamp to help prevent it from sticking).

Chain guide block....super cheap, you can make your own from teflon cutting board pieces.

That front brake line looks a little ragged.....

Don't worry about the cosmetics....I'm not trying to be mean here, but it is an older CR, ride the snot out of it and keep the running parts in good shape and forget about it being pretty.

The only reason any of my bikes have graphics is cuz the previous owners installed them. My wife's bike has none, and it runs, handles, and rides just fine without them.

Sounds like you've been buying stuff retail at a dealership, might be time to start buying stuff online from places like ThumperTalk....

http://shop.thumpertalk.com/

WAY cheaper than OEM and retail.

Seat Cover $60

New Rear Tire $75-ish for a cheapie

Grips $20

New brake lever $10 (leave the perches just a shade loose on the bars so that upon impact, they rotate.....most have a small patch of plastic sleeve inside the clamp to help prevent it from sticking).

Chain guide block....super cheap, you can make your own from teflon cutting board pieces.

That front brake line looks a little ragged.....

Don't worry about the cosmetics....I'm not trying to be mean here, but it is an older CR, ride the snot out of it and keep the running parts in good shape and forget about it being pretty.

The only reason any of my bikes have graphics is cuz the previous owners installed them. My wife's bike has none, and it runs, handles, and rides just fine without them.

Sounds like you've been buying stuff retail at a dealership, might be time to start buying stuff online from places like ThumperTalk....

http://shop.thumpertalk.com/

WAY cheaper than OEM and retail.

I'd rather just get a new chain w/ that thing, esp since I don't have any cutting tools...

I attempted to restore it, failed completely, I'm going to buy newer bikes now...

Also I bought all my stuff from ebay, cheapest you can get them.

I think it's time to retire my dirt career... I just can't afford buying parts I break off just from normal riding. As I said, I make $50/month...

I'd rather just get a new chain w/ that thing, esp since I don't have any cutting tools...

I attempted to restore it, failed completely, I'm going to buy newer bikes now...

Also I bought all my stuff from ebay, cheapest you can get them.

I think it's time to retire my dirt career... I just can't afford buying parts I break off just from normal riding. As I said, I make $50/month...

I'd concentrate on the income thing....don't matter if you're riding a Huffy, at that income level it's too expensive.:confused:

That is the pitfall of older bikes, they are harder to get parts for, and the parts end up costing much more, so in the end you may as well have bought a newer bike.

A good restoration job....well, you'll have about 3x's into it what the bike is actually worth, and in many cases, more than even a new-ish bike would have cost.

Don't get discouraged, breaking stuff isn't as common as you think....I haven't broken anything in quite a while (knocks on wood). Unless you count the velcro on my knee pad strap coming off, but that was a DIY repair with a sewing needle and fish line.?

I'd concentrate on the income thing....don't matter if you're riding a Huffy, at that income level it's too expensive.:confused:

That is the pitfall of older bikes, they are harder to get parts for, and the parts end up costing much more, so in the end you may as well have bought a newer bike.

A good restoration job....well, you'll have about 3x's into it what the bike is actually worth, and in many cases, more than even a new-ish bike would have cost.

Don't get discouraged, breaking stuff isn't as common as you think....I haven't broken anything in quite a while (knocks on wood). Unless you count the velcro on my knee pad strap coming off, but that was a DIY repair with a sewing needle and fish line.?

Yeah, I'm getting pretty discourage about motorcycles in general, I've ridden them, they're fun, but I'm 17, have the worst job in the world, and some how my co-worker drives a highly-modified $5000 sport car??? I'm thinking my job is a personal issue.. That in and of itself is discouraging knowing that I will not ever get a better position working there.

idk if I said this earlier but I'll probably sell it after fixing the clutch lever, and that chain thing...

If there's one thing I'm *not* good at, it's fixing cosmetic problems, I. Can't. Do. It.

Maybe I will buy a Huffy :worthy:

A highly modified $5,000 sportscar?

He bought it for $4500, and put custom body work on it, and now he's buying all kinds of superchargers and stuff. I wonder if he's sleeping with the boss or something... Even the boss drives a $1200 POS car, wth?

Either dope or mommy and daddy's money.

Yeah he is kinda weird and lives in the ghetto part of town also hangs out with "the" drugies in town, so I wouldn't be surprised... at the same time he's out classing me, so it's a little irritating.

Anyone know any hobbies like motorsports that isn't so freaking expensive??

I'm not the kind of guy to play around with a piece of wood, I like big "manly" things, shooting sounds appealing, but my father just so happens to be anti gun, great... Any ideas?

All the cool, manly like hobbies that I can think of are also expensive ones. ?

:/

btw when you said to loosen the clutch perch, I remember that after I had bought the brand new one, the salesman came out and told me that I should loosen it up and it wouldn't break as easy. Of course I thought to myself "well, I'm just going for a little ride, I'll take it easy and it probably won't come off, and I can do it when I get back". :confused:

Shooting isn't exactly a cheap hobby either. I'm the guy that spends $3K on a shotgun.?

Paintball sounds fun, I wish you didn't have to get 10 friends together to go play a game... Has anyone ever tried getting more then two people to go out the same night? Apparently it's impossible..

Twisted, first order of business, get a new job. Second, don't worry about fixing half that stuff.

I know what it's like to fix a bike on a budget. Just plan on getting a few things every month until you're well stocked and can replace parts when necessary.

Where in Utah are ya?

Paintball sounds fun, I wish you didn't have to get 10 friends together to go play a game... Has anyone ever tried getting more then two people to go out the same night? Apparently it's impossible..

Paintball place near where I live has a rule...unless you want to fork out the big bucks and rent the whole field, then you have to accept walk-ins into your group.

On more than one occasion I have just wandered in and paid my field fees and joined up with a group. I had one evening that NOBODY that was there came with anybody else.

The least expensive hobby I can think of is walking, walking everywhere, it talks lots of time and keeps you from having any other hobbies. If you walk, you can save money from your job for your next hobby. At 17 I guess you can still get reasonably priced sneaks from your parents. Fifty dollars a month, I was making more than that when I was 17, 35 years ago. Get a job where you can get some more hrs, keep this till you find a new one then move on. Get a clutch lever and chain guide and ride the snot outta that thing. Tape the grips for now......... at 17 with little cash you have to be creative.

Twisted, first order of business, get a new job. Second, don't worry about fixing half that stuff.

I know what it's like to fix a bike on a budget. Just plan on getting a few things every month until you're well stocked and can replace parts when necessary.

Where in Utah are ya?

Yeah, problem is I wanna sell it, and a couple $30 parts ups the value $100, in my experience.

And I'm in the Sevier/Paiute area.

Paintball place near where I live has a rule...unless you want to fork out the big bucks and rent the whole field, then you have to accept walk-ins into your group.

On more than one occasion I have just wandered in and paid my field fees and joined up with a group. I had one evening that NOBODY that was there came with anybody else.

Yeah, how do I say this, we're not a large enough town to have that kind of business anywhere? There's *1* PB field you can play at, and they charge a minimum group fee of $300 (unlim co2, paintballs, free rentals etc), so if you have enough people, each one can spend $20 and it's a deal!

Other then that you can play on the hills, but still need friends for that haha..

The least expensive hobby I can think of is walking, walking everywhere, it talks lots of time and keeps you from having any other hobbies. If you walk, you can save money from your job for your next hobby. At 17 I guess you can still get reasonably priced sneaks from your parents. Fifty dollars a month, I was making more than that when I was 17, 35 years ago. Get a job where you can get some more hrs, keep this till you find a new one then move on. Get a clutch lever and chain guide and ride the snot outta that thing. Tape the grips for now......... at 17 with little cash you have to be creative.

lol good idea on taping the grips, I'm usually not the "redneck" fix type guy, but I might have to become one!

Twisted, first order of business, get a new job.

Do motorcycle dealers hire people to keep clean / wash their bikes?

Is there an easy job at a dealer?

I don't want to be too involved in their business, because my dad hates their accountant, but I wouldn't mind doing a little job there to make an extra $100.