Sign in to follow this  

how to mount go pro helmet cam?

I just got a new gopro hero.

today was the first day with it and I couldnt figure out the side mount so I just stuck it on the top of the visor.

after getting home I realize that I dont like the angle at which it was filmed it.

so, what is the best way/angle to mount a gopro helmet cam? thanks.

We stick it in the center of our chest protectors. Best place to avoid losing it, video is fine when standing, blocked by bars partially when sitting. Drill some small holes in the mount and zip tie it to whatever you are attaching to, I also tie the camera to those zip ties just in case. We lost a $300 Vholder during a scramble, now using a $160 GoPro that's non HD. That still hurts my feelings!

I like the visor mount but since my helmet is an Airoh it can't be mounted on the visor because it's curved right there. So for me the best option is the side mount and it really looks good when filming. I also tried the chest mount but the problem is that if you're standed it only films the cockpit and the handlebars...you have to sit all the time to capture the trail. Here's a vid i made: http://vimeo.com/22945283

I like the visor mount but since my helmet is an Airoh it can't be mounted on the visor because it's curved right there. So for me the best option is the side mount and it really looks good when filming. I also tried the chest mount but the problem is that if you're standed it only films the cockpit and the handlebars...you have to sit all the time to capture the trail. Here's a vid i made: http://vimeo.com/22945283

I cant see your video, and I dont think I can mount it on my chest protector as I use a pressure suit not a chest protector.

I really like the idea of mounting it on the helmet. I think I had it mounted in the wrong spot and at the wrong angle for being on top of the helmet.

I really do like the side view mount though.. but cant figure out how to use the helmet strap side mount that came with the gopro. could you provide a picture of what your helmet/gopro mount looks like please?

thanks.

I cant see your video, and I dont think I can mount it on my chest protector as I use a pressure suit not a chest protector.

I really like the idea of mounting it on the helmet. I think I had it mounted in the wrong spot and at the wrong angle for being on top of the helmet.

I really do like the side view mount though.. but cant figure out how to use the helmet strap side mount that came with the gopro. could you provide a picture of what your helmet/gopro mount looks like please?

thanks.

You can see my video now. Here's a pic of the helmet mount: SDC13184.jpg

I think that your angle is a little off. Here is my chest mount and the view is not bad for both sitting and standing.

I've also run the side mount as well. I like it but i run a tear off at all times so that i don't scratch my lenses so the camera has to go on the right side of my helmet. That puts the lens right up against the helmet and you loose a little bit of your field of view. I'm going to try to side mount it upside down on the right side to see if it improves the field of view.

this is standard mount on the right side.

I think that your angle is a little off. Here is my chest mount and the view is not bad for both sitting and standing.

Great view indeed! Could you post a pic of your chest mount to see the angle of the camera?

Great view indeed! Could you post a pic of your chest mount to see the angle of the camera?

I don't have a picture but i'll work on that.

If your tall like me when we stand up we are more bent over then a shorter person, so the chest cam aims down at the handle bars when standing, but looks fine sitting.

If your tall like me when we stand up we are more bent over then a shorter person, so the chest cam aims down at the handle bars when standing, but looks fine sitting.

Never really thought about that being an issue. I'm only 5'10

Hmmm, I got my husband a GoPro helmet cam for Christmas and we mounted it to the top of the helmet, right behind the visor. In retrospect, we should have moved it a tiny bit back to make the camera easier to slide in/remove it. We experimented a bit with the proper angle.....pretty much straight if the helmet is sitting flat on a table works well. He was not interested in the side mount.

We also bought a 6-pack of the mounts, so now we have one for my helmet, one for his extra helmet, and ones we can sell to any of our friends who want to use the cam at our track.

I have mine on the jaw of my helmet, mounted upside down. Be careful with it on the top of your helmet. If you hit a low branch with your head it may take it off. Upside down on the jaw piece gives me a lower pov but it also follows my vision.

I just got a new gopro hero.

today was the first day with it and I couldnt figure out the side mount so I just stuck it on the top of the visor.

after getting home I realize that I dont like the angle at which it was filmed it.

so, what is the best way/angle to mount a gopro helmet cam? thanks.

This might be an option for you;

http://www.thumpertalk.com/forum/showpost.php?p=10399092&postcount=27

After trying a few other things I wont use anything other than under the visor, above the visor I cought branches all the time, every other view is unrealistic looking. Try this. (not my picture...just one i found mounted like I did mine)

Picture1389.jpg

After trying a few other things I wont use anything other than under the visor, above the visor I cought branches all the time, every other view is unrealistic looking. Try this. (not my picture...just one i found mounted like I did mine)

Picture1389.jpg

CDbiker

With the camera mounted under your visor do you have much issue with it being in your line of sight? or just being enough there to be a distraction?

I'm thinking of mounting mine this way because I really like that POV but I'm afraid it may bug me too much if I can constantly see it.

Thanks - YZRider67 :ride:

CDbiker

With the camera mounted under your visor do you have much issue with it being in your line of sight? or just being enough there to be a distraction?

I'm thinking of mounting mine this way because I really like that POV but I'm afraid it may bug me too much if I can constantly see it.

Thanks - YZRider67 :ride:

I thought it was mentioned it's not too obtrusive under the visor, and can barely be seen. HOWEVER, did you see how high up you have to put the visor to get it mounted there... and keep an unobstructed view?? I couldn't deal with that, as I USE my visor for what it was intended. :lol: