Sign in to follow this  

Since my bike is down anyhow? Anyone have mod ideas?

Well since my bike is gonna be down for a bit I figured I would do some other mods while I'm waiting on parts and working on getting her back into running shape. I am going to post a list of things I have to have and some things that I think I might add since I am replacing parts anyway.

What I NEED:

Head pipe

Skidplate

Odometer

Handlebars

Bar risers

possibly triple clamps

I haven't torn all the broken parts off the bike yet as I am having a hard time getting around. I might find other broken parts, but that's the list of what is obvious. Bike starts and runs fine so that's good.

Parts I am thinking about adding since I'm working on it anyhow:

Aftermarket silencer

Bark busters

Radiator guards and braces

Jet kit

Cut airbox

Anyone have anything to add while I have the bike out of commission? I would like keep it simple and not go too crazy.

The following parts are MUST DO and not a consider...

Jet kit

Cut airbox

Aftermarket silencer

Do these the same time you replace your broken parts.

:thumbsup:

Well, now that I am finally all healed up, and have all my parts together, other than the skid plate which I am gonna order tonight I can get to work on the bike. I ended up getting some Pro taper Countours, Cyrcra barkbusters/handguards, the JD jetting kit, Zipty fuel screw, and an MRD full exhaust. Excited about getting back in the saddle.

The following parts are MUST DO and not a consider...

Jet kit

Cut airbox

Aftermarket silencer

Do these the same time you replace your broken parts.

:eek:

Make sure it's a BRASS fuel screw, not aluminum

Add a 50 leak jet

Don't forget the accelerator pump spring upgrade ('07 and earlier)

Thanks Krannie, why is the Brass screw such a big deal? Are the alum more prone to break? I have been searching the jetting thread and see a lot of different setups. What would you recommend for mine?

'09 X, usually ride from 1000-3000 ft elevation, mildly cut airbox, full MRD exhaust, was planning on sticking with the stock (45) pilot, 170 main, and a 50 leak due to your advice. Sound about right?

Thanks Krannie, why is the Brass screw such a big deal? Are the alum more prone to break? I have been searching the jetting thread and see a lot of different setups. What would you recommend for mine?

'09 X, usually ride from 1000-3000 ft elevation, mildly cut airbox, full MRD exhaust, was planning on sticking with the stock (45) pilot, 170 main, and a 50 leak due to your advice. Sound about right?

Aluminum corrodes and breaks. No fun trying to get that little tip out of the carb body.............

Your set up sounds perfect. Now hunt down an '02 R cam and drop that in there for instant steroids.

Aluminum corrodes and breaks. No fun trying to get that little tip out of the carb body.............

I take it you've experienced that little adventure? Haha, doesn't sound fun...

I take it you've experienced that little adventure? Haha, doesn't sound fun...

My broken tip did not get stuck on my WR450. But many others have had it happen.

ha, to be fair the whole carb and engine are a PIA to work on with this bike!

Haha, yeah I am experiencing that first hand, stuff is packed in there quite tight. After reading about some peoples experience with the fuel screw, I'm sure glad that the o-ring, washer and spring dropped right out with no issues for me. lol

ha, to be fair the whole carb and engine are a PIA to work on with this bike!

You should be grateful. The Yamaha YZ's and WR's are twice as difficult to reach......and use a cheaper version of the FCR CR-MX carb, which is just plain not as good.....

Well, I got to take a little spin in a field by my house, nothing big, but got to open her up a couple times. WOW! Uncorking these bikes really helps. Starts easier, idles better, quite a bit more power, sounds great with the MRD exhaust. Can't wait to actually go out and ride! I am sticking with the stock leak jet right now, but if I encounter any problems I have the 50 on order, 4 different places locally didn't have one. :eek: