Sign in to follow this  

Dirt bike carrying

I built this so I can have my fowheeler and 2 bikes in the bed of my truck at the same time, I also think I could fit 5 bikes in my truck if I put some more tie points. I am thinking about making them and wanted to get some feed back and see if it would be something there would be a market for ?

IMG_0010.jpg

• Like 1

how do you load the bikes?

Ride up a ramp? :thumbsup:

pics loading those bikes would be cool. Also what about the over hang on the bars? I like the idea though. Im sure someone would buy a setup like that from you.

I have to say I would be a little skepticle about loading my bike on my truck like that but I have to admit that is pretty BAD @$$ !!!!

Great ingenuity! :thumbsup: I would have to admit, loading it up on the rail like that would make me a little nervous. Please explain how your loading process goes. Do you need two people to get them up there? the only way I could see getting them up there would be to load one bike into the pickup bed, then pick up the front tire and place it in the rail, then pick up and place the rear tire in the rail. Then move on to the next bike, then load the quad last. Or have a really long stable ramp and plenty of step stools.

looks cool... but couldnt you just put 1 bike and the quad in the bed of the truck and the 2nd bike on a hitch carrier? or are you towing also?

I would rather have it securely strapped on the rail than on a hitch carrier. Those things put a lot of bounce on the bike.

I'd accidentally do through a drive through and clip the bikes on the roof:smirk:

Gear bags, tools, gas cans, shelter, sleeping bags, ice chest ? Buy a trailer and secure your load. I hate to cram.

Gear bags, tools, gas cans, shelter, sleeping bags, ice chest ? Buy a trailer and secure your load. I hate to cram.

It's great idea, but I have to agree, I like to have some peace of mind while I'm carrying precious cargo.:thumbsup:

looks cool... but couldnt you just put 1 bike and the quad in the bed of the truck and the 2nd bike on a hitch carrier? or are you towing also?

Yes I was also towing a travel trailer.

I actually designed it so its pretty hard for them to fall out, and to load them you just put one in the bed first then lift the front tire in put the tie downs on and then lift the back up and strap it in, then you do second bike and drive the fowheeler in the middle it is really fast. It really only takes about the same effort at putting your bike on a pit stand. next time I use it I will make a video of me loading them in.

wow, you have a lot of friends still on training wheels, convert them to bikes!

Pretty cool setup, particularly for those of us with travel trailers. As long as the bikes are secure, how it "looks" is irrelevant IMO. I once saw a guy with a platform mounted across the bed rails of his truck on which he had 4 bikes mounted. It basically looked like a big sheet of diamond plate with some tie down points attached and a raised lip on each side, presumably to keep the rear wheel from bouncing off on the outside bikes. That left him with a ton of secured space under the platform where you could store all kinds of stuff - gas cans, ramps, gear bags, etc.