Tearing up dirt for mx track section the hard/fun way!!

Just wanted to pick some brains from my fellow TT members on backyard MX track building. Still hunting for some free dirt/fill to get some jumps, burms, and whoops on the open sections of my track/trail. I'm not looking to build a full on expert level suppercross/mx track, but rather a novice play track for friends and family to have fun on during BBQ's and such. I have 5 and a half acres, half wooded, half clear. I already have a nice trail system built throughout the wooded area. I have very little natural elevation changes in the 2 and a half acres that are clear. Right now I'm using construction flags to mark the track/trail to keep people on a specific path. ($9.99 per 50 at lowes) It's win win for friends that come over to ride, and myself, since I'm getting my trails made for free! ? I learned that after paying $25 for a poker run on private property. He made lots of $$$ off it, and had about 200 riders to blaze a 30 mile trail for him!

Here's some questions I could sure use some help in answering:

Novice level table top-Departure/landing grade/angles, length and height of the jump.

Novice Level double-departure/landing grade angles, space in between, height.

Whoops-height, spacing.

A guestimate on how many yards I'm looking at for each of the jumps.

Composition of the jumps, I don't want them rutted out and crumpling away shortly after I build them I'm thinking rock/dirt fill, followed by clay/dirt mix. Am I on track with this?

Anyone have pics of there track designs?

And any other helpful info from the experts!

I'm also considering an obsticle course as well, if I can find enough old tractor tires, large rocks, and such.

I understand these answers from you will be guesstimations, since you are not standing in my backyard, but it would give me a rough starting point.

Thanks, Mike

Having fun on about 4 yards of dumped dirt.

IMAG0432.jpg

The WR fully compressed, after landing, It doesn't take much, it ain't no YZF!

I think that mound of dirt will be my first table top built. I'm thinking three times as high, twice as wide, and three times as long?

IMAG0430.jpg

Here's what I'll be working with. Not the best tool for the job, but all I've got at the moment. She's an oldie, but goodie! She's prettier now, with a freshly painted hood.

picture_or_video_136.jpg

picture_or_video_139.jpg

Edited by mikewrf18

you have a tractor and a trailer you could look for someone clearing a pad to build a house and offeer to cart the dirt off for them,also have you thought about digging a graduated pit in front of you jumps?you could use the dirt to build up you jumps,though you might make huge deep puddles if it rains alot near you

If you have a swimming pool installer close, contact them. They always need to dispose of dirt after excavation.

I live in the Great Pacific Northwest, so not too many pools around here, but I'll keep that in mind. Thanks, Mike

Free dirt is hard to come by. It's not so much the dirt that cost money, it's the fuel and the dump truck driver's time.

I see alot of free dirt delivered in the Seattle area, but nothing down here I live. I've been looking for months now, Hopefully something will come up, if not, I'm going to just pay for it. I'm having a hard time convincing the wife it's a necessity though! ?

Look for a greating contractor alway moving drit

Thanks, looks like I need to get out the phone book and start making some phone calls.

also have you thought about digging a graduated pit in front of you jumps?you could use the dirt to build up you jumps,though you might make huge deep puddles if it rains alot near you

I thought about this, I considered digging down about 6-12" all the way around the track, and pushing that dirt onto the jumps. However, with all the rain we get here, I'd need a jetski to get around the track about half of the year! :confused:

I've already posted in the TT Northwest forum, looking for dirt, and received lots of good advice on what I need to do to get dirt. I appreciate your advice as well. Does anyone have advice though on jump construction? EI: types of soil to use to minimize deterioration, jump angles/width/Length/height, drainage, and also if anyone has pictures or diagrams of their backyard track that I could use for ideas would be greatly appreciated.

Edited by mikewrf18

contractors are your best bet..also you can call up tree pruning/cutting compains and ask if they would ither give you/sell you wood chips. within a year the wood chips turn into some wicked stuff to ride in, perfect for berms/rest of the track. it also helps keep it dry and less muddy. then all you have to worry about is getting dirt for jumps.

contractors are your best bet..also you can call up tree pruning/cutting compains and ask if they would ither give you/sell you wood chips. within a year the wood chips turn into some wicked stuff to ride in, perfect for berms/rest of the track. it also helps keep it dry and less muddy. then all you have to worry about is getting dirt for jumps.

Never thought of wood chips! That is a great idea. Now I have an excuse to buy a wood chipper. :smirk:I have plenty of fallen timber on my property to get rid of.

You can use old tires to build up the jumps. Overlap them then fill in with dirt. As far as dimensions try this site.

http://www.dirtwurx.com/track_tips.php

Old tires. Another great idea, thanks for the idea and link.

Convince your ol' lady your family needs a bass pond or that she needs a pretty koi pond. There's your dirt solution!

As soon as I get my loader attached to my tractor, that is my first order of business. Dig a pond and use the dirt. I'd love a bass pond, really considered it when I first bought the property, but I think a koi pond will have do for now. I was doing research for a half acre bass pond, but finances aren't allowing it at this time. Besides that, it would take away from track and trails. I only have five and a half acres, and I'm aready invading some of my wife's garden space! ?