Sign in to follow this  

Dirt Bike. October 1984. 500cc Shootout.

Dirt Bike. October 1984. Honda CR500RE. Yamaha YZ490L. Suzuki RM500E. Husqvarna 500CR. KTM 495MX. MStar 500 Supercross.

You can smell the two stroke smoke coming through the computer monitor !

http://davestestsandarticles.weebly.com/uploads/4/8/4/5/4845046/dirt_bike_october_1984_honda_cr500re_yamaha_yz490l_suzuki_rm500e_husqvarna_500cr_ktm_495mx_mstar_500_supercross.pdf

Link to site homepage : http://davestestsandarticles.weebly.com/index.html

Dave R

You mean to tell me a YZ490 won a shootout!? The dirtbike world must have fell on its ear after that came out. Keep these comin' I thoroughly enjoy them.

You mean to tell me a YZ490 won a shootout!

A 4 speed version as well ! I was very surprised.

Still, as they say ' every dog has it's day ' !

Dave R

Haha thanks for posting! :thumbsup:

In stock form the 84 CR500 is a pretty big disappointment imo (I own one)--that said it being surpassed by the YZ490 blows my mind. I don't think anyone has fond memories of those YZ's!?! lol :confused::worthy:

Thanks for posting that, easy to forget there was a day we had so many open bikes to choose from. My Brother had an '83 CR480 back then, by '85 my Step-Bro bought the new CR500, and I had an '86.

Back then we had a place that was awesome to ride those big bores, open trails and coal piles (big ones). By the early 90's that area closed down, and we have been riding 250's in tighter trails since. There's nothing like the sound of a couple 500's running full up.

never seen a yz490 win any shootout ever. obviously the people testing the bikes were payed off. theres a list somewhere floating the web of 10 worst bikes of all time and im almost postitve the 490 was on that list. 99.9% certain 490 was on the list the more i think about it.

never seen a yz490 win any shootout ever. obviously the people testing the bikes were payed off. theres a list somewhere floating the web of 10 worst bikes of all time and im almost postitve the 490 was on that list. 99.9% certain 490 was on the list the more i think about it.

It is number four on that list written by Super Hunky, who happens to be the editor of the magazine this shootout is in. Last time I saw Rick we talked about that list, he's a helluva nice guy. You may be on to something here. I race with a couple guys with RM500s that would beg to differ with this shootout.

It is number four on that list written by Super Hunky, who happens to be the editor of the magazine this shootout is in. Last time I saw Rick we talked about that list, he's a helluva nice guy. You may be on to something here. I race with a couple guys with RM500s that would beg to differ with this shootout.

We don't see a lot of those 490's on the starting line anymore, do we? Maico's, Honda's and a few RM 500's are the bulk of the big bores in my neck of the woods. I never rode one, so I can't knock 'em.