Sign in to follow this  

Question? Is there anyway I can adjust the throttle travel?

HI guys

Anyway is there someway I can shorten the throttle travel on my girlfriends 250X? She had a bad wreck last year and due to panic throttle. Her fingers are pretty short so when she tried to grab the front brake she pulled the throttle too and ran into a pickup.

We did all kinds of modifications to help the bike fit her. We had the suspension modified to lower the bike and and a Durelle Racing seat to get the seat height to her comfort level. Also we had a Rukluse clutch and Rukluse rear brake installed too.

If any of you guys have suggestions on what I can do to limit the throttle travel I would really appreciate the info. Is there a thumb throttle kit available for dirt bikes. I haven't noticed any on the dirtbike online stores.

I haven't actually seen a kit to limit throttle travel, i thought you were asking if there was a way to adjust the cable.

Here is the honest truth, if she can't cope with the power delivery and size of the 250 she needs to be on a smaller bike. Like a 150r or 230 or something. Cutting the max rmp in half is just going to neuter the bike on the trail or track but have the same weight. Get her a smaller and lighter bike.

HI guys

Is there a thumb throttle kit available for dirt bikes. I haven't noticed any on the dirtbike online stores.

Wouldn't that be available from an ATV dealer for a quad bike etc?

I have had good success at moving the levers closer to the handlebars for my kids with small hands on full sized bikes. Basically I find a spot to drill a hole, tap threads in, then screw in a small bolt for the adjuster. Throttle limiters teach bad habits in my experience. You do not learn throttle control which actually is learned very quickly with a full travel throttle.

Motion Pro makes a kit with 3 or 4 different size throttle cams for adjusting the amount of travel, which will give you faster or slower throttle response.

That just changes the ratio on how much turn at the grip effects the butterfly in the carb. It wouldn't do what he's wanting. Unless he could put in a throttle tube that would take like 1 full rotation of the grip to open the carb, then i doubt it would be ridable.

That just changes the ratio on how much turn at the grip effects the butterfly in the carb. It wouldn't do what he's wanting. Unless he could put in a throttle tube that would take like 1 full rotation of the grip to open the carb, then i doubt it would be ridable.

Agreed, it's not a throttle stop, just a way to adjust how quickly the throttle opens.

i second that motion,if she can get full throttle with a shorter throw shes gonna get in trouble faster

You can get longer throttle stop screws for the FCR-MX. I be if you put a wanted ad in the Yamaha classifieds for a WR250F orignial long throttle stop screw, 50 guys will offer you a free one. It limits total throttle travel to about 1/2~2/3.

Are you jokeing:lol:.If she cant ride the bike,then get something she can!Panic throttled into the back of a truck you say.Bless her,thought people only panic throttled on jumps and flipping it.crf50 could be on the cards for her me thinks:ride:

I would try a CRF150 before a 50. On a 150 you two can still ride together. No way on a 50.