Sign in to follow this  

A slightly different tail light question

hey I may have a stupid question but it is causing some head scratching here. I just wired up tail lights and turn signals on an old xt 125. Now when the signals blink so does the tail light. When I step on the brakes it stops the signals with the brake light. I am guessing that it is a ground problem but I can't figure out what I have connected wrong. any thoughts on where to start would be great. Again sorry if this turns out to be an obvious mistake that I have made. Cheers John

Is the motor running?

My dual-sported XR400 does that when the battery needs a charge. Not enough power for all of the lights. Charge up or replace the battery, then test it.

Are the blinkers factory or aftermarket, I bought some aftermarket that were o.e.m. style and the fronts were wired backward from the rears, they switched wiring so on fronts green was ground and on the rears black with stripe was ground. I had the same kind of problem, took the lights apart and saw how they were wired, thought "it figures...cheap crap", and wired correctly, all is good now.

Without being there all I can say is go through it all one wire at a time, make sure all grounds are correct in the light, ground outer shell of light, hot contacts on bottom of bulbs. blinkers one center contact, tail/brake light two center contacts. Sorry if I'm insulting your ability, don't mean to, just sayin start at zero, it's easy to overlook the simple stuff.

Thanks for the help guys, don't worry about insulting my ability. If I have learned one thing its that normally the problem is the most basic problem you can have and you just didn't think of it. I think the lights are the stock ones but that is a good thought I will check that the grounds are right on the lights. The battery should be fully charged but I can give it another charge just in case.

Thanks again guys.

strange as it may sound, the light bulb itself could be shorting internally and the fix may be as simple as changing the bulb

Thanks for the help guys, don't worry about insulting my ability. If I have learned one thing its that normally the problem is the most basic problem you can have and you just didn't think of it. I think the lights are the stock ones but that is a good thought I will check that the grounds are right on the lights. The battery should be fully charged but I can give it another charge just in case.

Thanks again guys.

Leave the charger on the battery and test the turn signals. No need to fire up the bike.

My tail light blinks when the batter is low and the signals are on. Always has.

Easy to tell, if the tail light blinking is in sync to the turn signal, it might be a power problem.

This is really starting to anger me..... Now I don't have any lights with out the bike started and none of the signals work running or not. AAAAGGGGGHHHHH. Back to the searching for grounds...

Is the motor running?

My dual-sported XR400 does that when the battery needs a charge. Not enough power for all of the lights. Charge up or replace the battery, then test it.

Very normal for a 6V system to do what you are describing when the bike is not running and the battery is not fully charged. I think the first response you got here is right on.

Nope, sorry I wish it was that simple. It doesn't matter if the bike is running or not. Also the battery is only a year old and I left it on a charger over night.