xr600 clucth cover seal?

hey guys,

quick question...

Can anybody tell me if the clucth cover seal on my xr600, the one that rides the crankshaft is honda specific? or can it be found at a bearing and seal place?

Looking at it it has a slight mark or out fo roundness to it, but is still pliable and is a tight fit on the shaft....I just want to know how tight and wheter it can be found easily.

Im hoping Im ok, bit dont want to risk another rebuild AGAIN!

cheers and thanks as always for the great help and info,

Christian

been looking for a cheap one, but wont have one till maybe next week...

steve said his bearing shop had it in stock, but the way I see the seal its flared inside...making it a harder seal to find, no?

anywhoo...

anybody else bought this seal other than from honda?

thanks brian,

christian

well I took the seal out, it was tough! the seal is screwed up, so no point dwelling about it now...Ill look for one around here...it has some numbers on there hopefully thats enough...

Its definitely out of round and wrinkled were the runout was(up and down) so thats that..

thanks!

wish me luck as usual!

christian

• 2 weeks later...

guys I would really love some ideas or opinions here...please???????????????

Ok, found out some stuff...

the stock crank oil seal is VITON(you can see the red on the inside and black rubber outside and the marks VS) so even if I found the right size it would not stand the heat, as I found a slightly smaller one and the guy said it would only withstand 70c, sooo then he said he can have one made out of viton with a outer metal ring for $45.! great I say...

the thing is his seals(he showed me them) have an extra lip(concave too just like oem) that he says are for helping keep the pressure in...

the busted one I took out of the clutch cover is smooth and concave on the inside sooo......

I NEED EXPERT OPINIONS HERE!

1. Does anybody see this "lip" as detrimental?

2. have the seal made?

3. dont risk it and simply buy the new seal and wait a month?

Any help appreciated, please all comments welcome!

christian

Can anybody tell me if the clucth cover seal on my xr600, the one that rides the crankshaft is honda specific?

Ummm, my short term memory may be mangled from years of partying, but I don't remember a seal on either side of the crank.

At any rate you can get aftermarket seal kits for the entire engine for less than $45:

http://lukesracing.com/Merchant2/merchant.mvc?Screen=PROD&Store_Code=LR&Product_Code=51-1042&Category_Code=KSOSH

Not sure if they ship international or not...

Oh.........and as for running a double lip seal on the crank,no prob there........it`s just not needed on this app because the XR runs basically zip for oil pressure........below 2 psi when hot.........it`s all about flow on these bikes......pressure means nothing...

Pressure is needed on a plain bearing engine.........not a ball bearing engine.........

But...........no way in hell i`d have someone "make" me a seal down there........i`ve seen there work on that cylinder they f`ed up for ya..?

B

Ummm, my short term memory may be mangled from years of partying, but I don't remember a seal on either side of the crank.

At any rate you can get aftermarket seal kits for the entire engine for less than $45:

http://lukesracing.com/Merchant2/merchant.mvc?Screen=PROD&Store_Code=LR&Product_Code=51-1042&Category_Code=KSOSH

Not sure if they ship international or not...

Seal is in the clutch cover.the end of the crank sticks into it.........and the oil filter feeds oil through the clutch cover,through the hollow crank to the rod bearing...

B

But...........no way in hell i`d have someone "make" me a seal down there........i`ve seen there work on that cylinder they f`ed up for ya..?

B

ahh the cylinder...youre so right man,

ill do the ebay direct to me express... I got a quote on a set...

now its a k and s kit, is that a no no? or this seal?the kit says viton and standard rubber where needed...

Ill express ship to me...

hopefully it gets here!

thanks for keeping me in line brian...as always!

christian

buy a honda seal thats what it's meant to have mate

I couldnt find a place that would send me the oem seal at a reasonable price to el salvador....

I usually buy all my OEM stuff from cheapcycleparts, they are a great site but international shipping is killer and they really take a long time sometimes...

so I looked on ebay at k and s kits and the oil seal looked exactly like stock, it was viton and red just like oem, so I bought the kit cheaper from lukes racing at $22 plus $35 express shipping to me here in el salvador(3-5 days) not bad at all!

wish me luck, ill update soon:thumbsup:

christian

You suffer the same fate as us..A set of rings for an XL600 here ex Japan from the dealer..$260.00 NZ dollars.

A set of rings from B/bandit..roughly $70.00 US or about $100.00 NZ..Cost to ship the rings to NZ..$111.00 US dollars..No options on shipping,,there way or the highway..

Shocking thing for you is you're actually connected to the States..we are at the bottom of the Earth. I don't mean to be a dick from some puny place of no supposed consequence but that sort of cost for shipping a box with a set of rings in it is outrageous,,Business shouldn't be all about the large market. Llittle needs inclusion as a sign of efficiency and the ability to go the extra mile for the customer.

Edited by Horri

thanks for the support on all fronts, the shocking thing is Im two doors down yet you would think Im in china!

believe it or not it used to be much worse ordering stuff, you would pay 100% to %200 duties and shipping on most stuff and risk never getting it.

Now we pay about 30-40 percent total on items bought from the states.

So for instance I just bought some parts from cheapcycle about $300 and rocky mountain $200 and paid just under $200 for shipping and import duties...

so all in all its a hassle but not as bad as it used to be...

SORRY YOU HAVE TO PAY SO MUCH TOOOOO!

here hoping I get my seals soon! Im excited to get my bike rebuilt again, this time with goodies and mods!

yay!

ordered a kit from lukes racing, express to me(they ship international)it has already shipped, lets hope this k&s kit works out well, they say viton where needed...anybody bought one of these kits?

thanks to all!

Shouldn`t be a prob with those seals.....get er done:smirk:

B

You suffer the same fate as us..A set of rings for an XL600 here ex Japan from the dealer..$260.00 NZ dollars.

A set of rings from B/bandit..roughly $70.00 US or about $100.00 NZ..Cost to ship the rings to NZ..$111.00 US dollars..No options on shipping,,there way or the highway..

Shocking thing for you is you're actually connected to the States..we are at the bottom of the Earth. I don't mean to be a dick from some puny place of no supposed consequence but that sort of cost for shipping a box with a set of rings in it is outrageous,,Business shouldn't be all about the large market. Llittle needs inclusion as a sign of efficiency and the ability to go the extra mile for the customer.

Yup,rippin someone a new hole with those shipping cost amounts to being a crook in my book.....send it fair or don`t offer it,bloody crooks..

B