Sign in to follow this  

Painting plastics

My wife has been wanting black number plates for her klx140 for a while now, problem is, no one makes them. Even the "monster energy" edition has white plates. Sooo... I found a spray paint that supposedly is very good on plastics. It's called "Krylon Fusion for plastic". Has anyone tried this? I would only be painting the side number plates, not the front one. The side ones don't get pelted by rocks as much and they have no scratches on them, so her boots don't really touch them either. What do you guys think? Should I try it, or will I regret it?

honestly,i wouldnt try it. but if you are see if you have some extra fenders or like plastic thats almost the same as the number plate.test it out because once you paint you cant go back.What if it peels or sumthin

For side number plates, it would be ...Okay. The problem is that it scratches fairly easy and black doesn't take long to look, ....less than perfect. I used it on my wife's XR200 and was not satisfied with the results.

The Krylon works well for plastic. I don't think it will peel, but it will look pretty bad if scratched.

What about just getting some black precut backgrounds?

I thought about that too, but I only want the side number plates and I haven't been able to find a place that makes them for the klx140.

I used krylon fusion on my fork guards last year and it works pretty damn good. I was honestly surprised. They are out there in the front of the bike and im a mid pack rider so they get hammered pretty good and it hasnt peeled or chipped off at all. I used black on my white fork guards so you will know if it starts coming off. Just follow the directions on the can. Hell I didnt even clean them that well just wiped them down with some contact cleaner before spraying them.

you could buy some black backgrounds for a larger number plate and cut them to fit

Go to a Napa store that has a paint department, buy a can of black paint or the the krylon fusion if you want, buy adhesion promoter, and buy a scotch bright pad the brownish red ones, scuff the surface with the scotch bright pad, use some paint thinner to get all the dust off, let ALL of the thinner evaporate off the surface, apply the adhesion promoter apply a coat of paint let dry and do 3-5 coats of paint let it fully cure for a couple of days. if you do it this way it will be a pretty durable finish. i did it to my trucks grill emblem and engine cover about a year ago and have not had any problems other than one tiny rock chip in the emblem. I also live in minnesota so the plastics are constantly expanding and shrinking due to the temperature, which in turn causes the paint to want to crack or chip if not prepped properly prior to spraying. painting plastic is not impossible it just depends how good of a job you do prior to spraying take your time and follow the correct steps and the key is in PREPPING ! good luck

Go to a Napa store that has a paint department, buy a can of black paint or the the krylon fusion if you want, buy adhesion promoter, and buy a scotch bright pad the brownish red ones, scuff the surface with the scotch bright pad, use some paint thinner to get all the dust off, let ALL of the thinner evaporate off the surface, apply the adhesion promoter apply a coat of paint let dry and do 3-5 coats of paint let it fully cure for a couple of days. if you do it this way it will be a pretty durable finish. i did it to my trucks grill emblem and engine cover about a year ago and have not had any problems other than one tiny rock chip in the emblem. I also live in minnesota so the plastics are constantly expanding and shrinking due to the temperature, which in turn causes the paint to want to crack or chip if not prepped properly prior to spraying. painting plastic is not impossible it just depends how good of a job you do prior to spraying take your time and follow the correct steps and the key is in PREPPING ! good luck

Yeah, I'm definitely going to take my time and do it right. Thanks for the advice!

You could also use this stuff called "Plastidip" they sell it at home depot and lowes for about $6 a can. just clean and and spray. if it ever gets scratched or anything the stuff just peels right off and you can spray it again. if you do a google search on it you'll see alot of people have used it for different things. pretty cool stuff.

Y'know Rockymountainatv sells "attack" graphics. There $29.00 for the set, they have them for your KLX and you can order them in black. Easy:thumbsup: