Sticky Front Disc brakes, 96 XR250

hi all.

got my bike out of my garage after 3 years so had to fix up quite a bit of things. I live close to the sea so bad things happen fast :confused:

Got a few issues sorted but the latest hurdle i can't seem to clear is my front brakes not properly releasing itself after being applied.

I stripped the caliper up to see what was wrong...found one of the cylinders to be stuck. it would come out when brakes are applied but wouldn't go back in...

so with the help of a compressor and a c-clamp i managed to force out both cylinders.

cleaned up the oxidations and gunk, put new seals and assembled everything back.

brakes apply fine but still the pads are getting stuck and not releasing...I have brand new pads, new oil, new seals... what can be the problem now????

as far as i can see...the disc is straight and don't see it dragging only in selected spots...

caliper is mounted straight...

Other than bad seals/pistons or a crooked disc...what else can cause a sticky brakes???

appreciate any help guys...

I gotta a 7 day ride coming up and don't want to take the chance of riding with sticky brakes ?

I think my caliper is frozen with the caliper bracket. caliper pins must've dried out...

how can i seperate the bracket from the caliper...they don't appear to be held by any bolts but it's pretty darn tough to get them apart....what am i doing wrong?

Thanks red47403

I did horrible things to the caliper before it gave in and came off :confused:

Made up my mind to get a new one if a busted the one i had so...cut the seals out, sprayed loads of wd40, heated it up and after lots of hammering it came apart...

The pins had got rusted in place so they were not budging let alone sliding...

Will be greasing them pins eachtime i change pads from now on and save the trouble ?

Thanks red47403

I did horrible things to the caliper before it gave in and came off :confused:

Made up my mind to get a new one if a busted the one i had so...cut the seals out, sprayed loads of wd40, heated it up and after lots of hammering it came apart...

The pins had got rusted in place so they were not budging let alone sliding...

Will be greasing them pins eachtime i change pads from now on and save the trouble ?

If they are that rusted it may be worth replacing the pins. They are threaded in. Make sure your dust boots are not cracked. Good luck.

Thanks Red

The longer pin was the one that had rust on it...other one was fine. Cleaner up the rust with a wire brush and some steel wool. Looks to be ok so i'm gonna put this one on and see how it goes.

THe dust boots got badly damaged when i was trying to get the caliper come off.

Couldn't find replacements here so jerry rigging some boots off a car to fit until i get a set shipped down.

Boomman

I have never greased the front brake pins ? hence the hassle now :confused:

I've read that you can use automotive CV joint grease or any other high temp grease.

I'm gonna either use CV joint grease on this or a high temp bearing grease i have at home...