2002 400 MXC - ? for current/past owners

I am about ready to pull the trigger on a 2002 400MXC.

My question is... how often do/did you adjust the valves? When I was probing the current owner about the last time he checked them, he said "never. The Previous owner told me you do it when it won't start and it starts with one tap of the button every time so I haven't done anything with them."

This is making me a little nervous but I don't know much about these motors... or any KTM motors for that matter. So I don't know if this is reasonable or if this should be a warning sign that the two previous owners didn't do a "regular interval" valve check.

Your thoughts? He does seem to do fluid changes regularly. Said he bought a multi-pack of oil filters and has two left that he'd give to me with the bike. He's owned it for a year.

the book calls for 15hrs, I tried 50 hrs not racing. Each time I did them the intake was close to zero. Never have had a starting problem. I now am testing 40hrs and have to do them soon. Evidence of it going too long is the hard start and sometimes you will see black carbon in the carb throat from the intakes leaking backwards. If it is that bad then the intake seats may be damaged.

the book calls for 15hrs, I tried 50 hrs not racing. Each time I did them the intake was close to zero. Never have had a starting problem. I now am testing 40hrs and have to do them soon. Evidence of it going too long is the hard start and sometimes you will see black carbon in the carb throat from the intakes leaking backwards. If it is that bad then the intake seats may be damaged.

Good info! Thanks Mike!