Sign in to follow this  

class I or class II hitch to haul 2 450s?

i'm looking to put a hitch on my old subaru legacy and pull a harbor freight trailer(250?lbs). i saw a class I hitch with a tongue weight of 200lbs, and tow weight of 2000lbs. would the tongue rating be OK for towing 2 full size dirtbikes?

NOTE: Never tow a trailer with a gross trailer weight greater than the vehicle manufacture's rating. It could cause damage to the vehicle's engine transmission and frame. And could void any manufacture's warranties. A higher class of hitch DOES NOT increase the vehicle's tow capacity.

Anyone have a more relevant answer? I know the tow weight of around 900lbs is not a problem. Just wondering what the tongue weight of 1 or 2 450swould equal out to be?

The tongue weight is only a MINOR fraction of what the weight is on the trailer. If you have a massively overgross load of say a compressed cube of copper weighing 4000 pounds, the tongue could buckle.

Your looking at towing about 500 pounds, which really isn't that much at all. Your car can fit about 4-5 people all weighing a total of 500 pounds, so towing that much is not going to be an issue. I would just go with the class 1 hitch, cause at 500 pounds your not going to exceed the tongue weight rating of 200 IMO.

Tongue weight is dependant on how you load the trailer as well. In a properly balanced trailer, with 500 lbs of bike on it, no problem you are well below the 200 lbs. If you can pick up the tongue with the bikes loaded, you are good to go!

Tongue weight is dependant on how you load the trailer as well. In a properly balanced trailer, with 500 lbs of bike on it, no problem you are well below the 200 lbs. If you can pick up the tongue with the bikes loaded, you are good to go!

I'd go with his answer. :thumbsup:

I have one of those fold up harbour freight trailers around here somewhere, and they are balanced well enough to haul that load properly. Fully loaded, you're getting near the 900lbs towing capacity of the car though.

Certainly no where near 200lbs of tongue weight.

For many years I hauled my bikes on trailers and it is a convenient and easy alternative to a PU truck. Tongue weight should be between 5% and 10% of the trailer weight plus load. Below 5% and there can be negative weight on the tongue while traveling, you'll feel jerking motions while driving. Above 10% puts too much weight on the hitch. For your example of two bikes on a light weight trailer the tongue weight sould be less than 100lbs, and depending on total trailer and load weight could be as low as 40lbs. At those weights the trailer tongue can be lifted and the trailer maneuvered by hand on level ground. A Class I hitch should work, check out: Brads Trailer

back in the day (1972 chevy vaga gt wagon 4-sp) had a 2 rail bike trailer and hauled 2 bikes all the time. no problems.

1st thing, check the tow rating of your tow vehicle and then the weight carrying capacity of your trailer, don't exceed either one. For safety's sake, particularly considering the minimal cost of a buying a heavier hitch (go class 2, if not class 3); always error in favor of safety. 9 times out of 10, if you exceed the tow/weight carrying rating of your vehicle or trailer you're not going to have a problem. However, I'm aware of a person who got in an accident in which there was a fatality. He was found criminally negligent and civilly liable because he knowingly towed a trailer that exceeded the combined gvwr of his tow vehicle. He lost the civil judgement, his insurance didn't cover his loss or the judgement against him, went to prison for manslaughter, and lost everything, including his wife.

back in the day (1972 chevy vaga gt wagon 4-sp) had a 2 rail bike trailer and hauled 2 bikes all the time. no problems.

wow man, this brings back memories. i had the same vega, hauled 3 bikes on a 3 railed trailer all the time