Oil Pump Priming - Thanks thumpertalk members

I just want to thank the thumpertalk community because without this forum I probably would have damaged my engine today. I remember reading a while back that you really have to double check to make sure you have good oil flow when you do a motor job or even just changing the oil filter. Because of this tip, I always crack open the oil pipe going to the valve cover to make sure I have oil coming out when just turning over the engine with the starter. It had always seemed like a tedious thing to do because prior to today because I had always had oil flow. Well today I just finished installing the 2nd and 5th gear mods on my bike and as always I cracked the oil line and it turned over for a minute and there was no oil flow. I came to this forum and was looking for a solution and immediately found that by putting compressed air into the hose that connects to the valve cover will aid in priming my oil pump. Within seconds I primed my pump.

I just want to say a big thank you to those that came here to share their unfortunate experiences because it helps the rest of us.

Sweet.so she`s running then.........and yes putting air in the hose or just putting low air pressure where the dipstick goes works everytime........you are lucky,alot of people find this out the hard way,which really sucks...

B

you are lucky,alot of people find this out the hard way,which really sucks...

B

Yep, I was one of the "unlucky" ones, and it did suck. But, it's all good now!

Sweet.so she`s running then.........and yes putting air in the hose or just putting low air pressure where the dipstick goes works everytime........you are lucky,alot of people find this out the hard way,which really sucks...

B

Yeah she's running great Now lol! I had to tear the friggin engine apart twice though. Yeah you heard me TWICE. I was so pissed. I had it back in the frame and only had the carb, tank, and seat to put back on. The @#$%!*&% spring on the gear-shifter shaft inside the tranny become unhooked without me noticing. This spring makes the gear shift lever come back to the middle after pressing it when making a gear change. I had bench tested it after putting the 2 halves together and everything seemed fine. I shifted from 1st to 5th then back to neutral and it worked beautifully. I hadn't noticed that the lever being slack using my hand. With this spring being unhooked the shift lever was still pretty snug in neutral through to 4th gear because the lower and higher gear held the gear shift lever in its middle position but in 1st gear the lever just stayed depressed after shifting. In 5th gravity returned the lever to its middle position so it was even less noticeable on the bench. I feel so stupid for not catching it but when using your hands its not like using your foot, as soon as I put the gear shift lever on I tested it again with my foot my jaw dropped and and few choice words came out that I won't mention here :thumbsup: I got off I must of sat on that little stool just staring at the engine for a good 15 minutes before the wife called me in for supper. All the anticipation of finishing the project and trying her out was replaced by determination after supper and I tell ya I had it out and totally apart within an hour. I saw my error as soon as I opened up the halves again and cursed that spring when I had it in my hands. I put it together in about 2 hours because all the gasket surfaces were already cleaned and in the frame. I took my time double and triple checking the timing chain marks and did my valve clearances. I reused all the gaskets and re-ordered another set of top gaskets because I don't hold much faith in re-using the head and valve cover gaskets after they have been compressed but they'll stay in till they fail. I might throw a stage 1 or 2 cam in it this summer. The cylinder base gasket and the crankcase gasket were cleaned and re-used as they came off nicely and didn't rip.

I had it out this afternoon using the stock 45T rear sprocket. The second gear is notably better spaced to the 1st gear now. The power transfer is smoother from first to second now and the gap between 2nd and 3rd isn't as noticeable as I thought it would be at those speeds. The 5th gear ratio is too low with the 45T at normal highway speeds so the 48T will definitely be a must. With the teraflex I might even try a 49T-50T rear sprocket but I'm going to give it some time first on the 48T that I already have and make a decision after doing some testing. I was going to throw it on this afternoon but will wait till I get my new teraflex 140/80 tire due in Monday or Tuesday. No sense tearing the rear wheel off twice, besides the clouds were very dark and I wanted to have a little fun before showers began.