Wiseco Piston Question

I have a 1999 RM 250. All of the parts sites that show OEM part #'s and diagrams for each year show that 1996 through 1999 use the same pistons. But if you go out to Wiseco's site, they show a different part # for the 1996-97, 1998 and 1999 pistons. What is different about the Wiseco pistons? Why don't they have the same part # for 1996 - 1999? I know that Wiseco pistons are forged. So, I guess the real question would be.....Is a Wiseco piston for a 1996 RM 250 the same as a Wiseco piston for a 1999 RM 250?

Thanks

I have a 1999 RM 250. All of the parts sites that show OEM part #'s and diagrams for each year show that 1996 through 1999 use the same pistons. But if you go out to Wiseco's site, they show a different part # for the 1996-97, 1998 and 1999 pistons. What is different about the Wiseco pistons? Why don't they have the same part # for 1996 - 1999? I know that Wiseco pistons are forged. So, I guess the real question would be.....Is a Wiseco piston for a 1996 RM 250 the same as a Wiseco piston for a 1999 RM 250?

Thanks

I would call Wiseco to verify the correct part number, to be on the safe side.

I just ordered the OEM Suzuki Piston Kit for my bike, it included everything rings/wrist-pin/bearing/clips/gaskets and I bought the entire gasket kit as well it has the centercase and everything else. Just to have on hand (gasket kit), I do not like having parts when I need them. Plus, it always seems you need the parts either on a Sunday after Church or Monday.

:thumbsup:

The 1996 - 1997 RM250 ran a domed piston - 1998 - 2000, a flat top. That doesn't answer your questions really, but I suspect it's the root cause of the funny model-year numbering you're finding..

Some dome/flat-top info here:

http://www.eric-gorr.com/pdfs/modeltuningtipsSuzuki.pdf

HEAD MODS

In 1998. Suzuki switched from a dome*shaped pisron to a flat-top design. The flat top design works well. Wiseco makes a flat-top piston (part number 705PS) for rhe 1996 to 2000 RM250. When this piston is used on domed heads, it requires that the head is modi*fied

Thanks for the replys. So, if the difference is domed vs flat top, then the sites (ie. Bike Bandit, etc.) that show the OEM pistons being the same are wrong.

Thanks for the replys. So, if the difference is domed vs flat top, then the sites (ie. Bike Bandit, etc.) that show the OEM pistons being the same are wrong.

I have ordered from Bikebandit but I call them to order the parts, sometimes they have to go back to the 'fishe' and get the correct part numbers. However, if in doubt I go to the shop and/or call.

http://www.partforyamaha.com/pages/OemParts?aribrand=SUZ

I do a lot of my research here, to get the OEM part numbers, if I am needed to buy VP fuel, then I just go to the dealer to order. If not then I will call and have it shipped to work.

:thumbsup:

Funny thing is I have gotten wrong OEM part numbers from their internet site before too. I always thought they were standard Suzuki issue but maybe something gets screwed up in the doc install process or something.

I talked to Wiseco today about the piston differences. Seems that Suzuki changed each year for a while with the piston config that they were using.

1996-97 used a domed piston with no reed holes

1998 used a flat top piston with no reed holes

1999 used a domed piston with reed holes

2000 used a flat top piston with reed holes

2001-02 used the same as 2000

So, he told me a 96-97 piston will work in a 99 but the powerband would be different. A piston without the reed holes would cause the bike to have less low end grunt compared to a piston with reed holes. The same would apply to 98 and 00-02 pistons (but they are flat top).

I talked to Wiseco today about the piston differences. Seems that Suzuki changed each year for a while with the piston config that they were using.

1996-97 used a domed piston with no reed holes

1998 used a flat top piston with no reed holes

1999 used a domed piston with reed holes

2000 used a flat top piston with reed holes

2001-02 used the same as 2000

So, he told me a 96-97 piston will work in a 99 but the powerband would be different. A piston without the reed holes would cause the bike to have less low end grunt compared to a piston with reed holes. The same would apply to 98 and 00-02 pistons (but they are flat top).

Just wondering if this goes for 125's also because i got a 97 RM125 and it's got the domed piston without reeds holes, and seems to have little low end grunt.

Good question.....