Sign in to follow this  

Stator Grommet Leak (Yes I have searched)

So, I just got a KLX400 and oil is spitting out of the stator grommet. I have no idea if it is stock or not, but it appears to have two holes that are open (ie: no wires passing through) and the oil seems to be spitting out of these two holes.

I have searched, and it seems the Moose branded stator had instances of having two holes as it has 9 holes--apparently, stock, the stator only puts out 7 wires.

From the searches, it seems like many have tried RTVs or SuzukiBond type stuff, with either success, or failures. Most of the OPs never really reported back on solving it or not. So it is hard to tell which path to take.

I don't think the oil is seeping AROUND the grommet, just through the holes in the grommet. I noticed a bunch of oil when I bought the bike, but figured it was the CS seal but it isn't.

So, my question is, attempt the get RTV/SuzukiBond over the holes, or I had an idea of using some really small screws, just a tiny bit bigger than the wire sized holes and putting the screws in to plug up the two unused holes? Ideas?

Unless you get the holes really clean and dry, most RTV's will not adhere. A little Threebond (RTV like, only a lot, lot better) on the threads of a few set screws souynds good. But you have to wonder why the hols are they to begine with.

The way i did mine was when it was apart i cleaned the area well with brakleen and let it dry , then pressed rtv up into the grommet and all over the outside of the grommet and made sure it was in inbetween the wires and up in the holes . You do not want rtv floating around inside your motor so keep it on the outside . Let it dry 24 hours before you fire up the bike . Worked fine for me and no leaks.

Secret is take it apart and clean well with brakleen and you should be fine ,the rtv will not seal if oil is on your wires.

Unless you get the holes really clean and dry, most RTV's will not adhere. A little Threebond (RTV like, only a lot, lot better) on the threads of a few set screws souynds good. But you have to wonder why the hols are they to begine with.

I got you. I might try the threebond (suzukibond) on the threads of some screws trick.

I have no idea, but apparently some Moose stators in the past came with wire pass through grommets that had too many holes in them. It seems like a manufacturer eff up, as there ARE cases of this, just not many to be found from searching.

The way i did mine was when it was apart i cleaned the area well with brakleen and let it dry , then pressed rtv up into the grommet and all over the outside of the grommet and made sure it was in inbetween the wires and up in the holes . You do not want rtv floating around inside your motor so keep it on the outside . Let it dry 24 hours before you fire up the bike . Worked fine for me and no leaks.

Secret is take it apart and clean well with brakleen and you should be fine ,the rtv will not seal if oil is on your wires.

This is the most correct way I think of doing it as well. I was hoping to avoid taking the case off, as, I really do not have anywhere to work on it at my present living residence.

I know that RTV inside is baaaaad times.

Just so stupid! I mean, how hard is it to build this part properly?

Thanks for the replies. Either way I decide to go, I WILL report back, unlike all those damn threads I searched.

If you cant fix it with RTV give us a call and we can send a good grommet for the price of shipping to fix the Moose/Electrosport stator. But to install the grommet you will need to remove all the connectors from the stator and reinstall them after you slide the grommet on.

If you cant fix it with RTV give us a call and we can send a good grommet for the price of shipping to fix the Moose/Electrosport stator. But to install the grommet you will need to remove all the connectors from the stator and reinstall them after you slide the grommet on.

That is some seriously awesome customer service, considering I am not even a customer!

I will try my mickey mouse ideas first, then go to RickyStator. Hell, I might even just buy one of their stators-since I'll be opening it up anyway, might as well put a known good product in.

And, regarding superglue, I am concerned the superglue will eat into the seal more than it will help it?

If Eddie says to use Super Glue, then you know it works.

I figured I shouldn't question one of the DRZs TTGods. :thumbsup:

Alright, yes I am slow to getting around to this. I just smeared KrazyGlue over the two holes that I am like 99% sure the oil was spitting from. I'll let it set up for 24 hours, and turn it on, and see what happens.....

Would be freakin awesome if this was all I had to do. Even though I have only ridden 20 miles since buying this bike, it is BY far the most fun.

Should have some 606s and new wheel bearings installed this coming week, and then, if this glue holds and no leaks, I'll be riding!!!!!!!!!!

Alright checking back in....super glue seemed to have worked. No leaks in 20 miles of riding.:eek:

Mine came with the two extra holes plus oversize holes where the wires go thru. Couldn't make it stop leaking so I just park it next to the Jeep. :foul:Moose and :foul:Jeeps.

Mine came with the two extra holes plus oversize holes where the wires go thru. Couldn't make it stop leaking so I just park it next to the Jeep. :foul:Moose and :foul:Jeeps.

Next time go with the Ricky Stator if you use an aftermarket.

The grommet can be sealed, if degreased, dried and sealed with a good quality RTV like Permatex Ultra Black.

Next time go with the Ricky Stator if you use an aftermarket.

The grommet can be sealed, if degreased, dried and sealed with a good quality RTV like Permatex Ultra Black.

It was one of those 'gifts' you find from previous owners. I would never use anyone BUT Ricky Stator.