Sign in to follow this  

XR650R head cover oil leak

hey guys, i just got my new TM40 carb in the mail today and am excited to put it in, but i have an oil leak problem that should be addressed first. and am wondering...what should i use to seal this up correctly since what i used last time didn't work.

The cover may be a bit warped,put it on a flat plate with 800 grit and lite oil. It will show the high spots.

I've never had any luck with that stuff,i use the 'generic yamabond' Permatex motoseal works great!

http://www.permatex.com/products/automotive/automotive_gasketing/specialty_gasket_maker/MotoSeal_1_Ultimate_Gasket_Maker_Grey.htm

i'll have to go find something a bit more tailored to what i'm doing. i'm so anxious that i'll have to wait until tomorrow to ride the thing once i get the head cover sealed up.

another question about motseal. what is the average dry time? i'll probably give it a full 24+ hours, but i was just curious. Does one put it on both the head cover and head, or just one or the other? TIA

It dries fast to a semi soft condition. I put it on one side,let dry for a short time. The key is to get the cases oil free before putting it on.(contact cleaner or something...)

It dries fast to a semi soft condition. I put it on one side,let dry for a short time. The key is to get the cases oil free before putting it on.(contact cleaner or something...)

i just put some on my finger and smoothed it on both top and bottom, wiped off any that got on the inside, let it cure for about 3 hrs, then ran it. and yes i wiped and cleaned the contact points of the cases, with rubbing alcohol.

i just put some on my finger and smoothed it on both top and bottom, wiped off any that got on the inside, let it cure for about 3 hrs, then ran it. and yes i wiped and cleaned the contact points of the cases, with rubbing alcohol.

this thread.....case closed.... Thanks guys