'04 450R airbox...geez!

This isn't a problem as much as it is a rant, and feel free to regard it as such, but here goes:

Doing routine air filter cleaning on my bike, (Twin-Air filter, stock cage) so, i take out the filter and cage together, separate them, clean and dry the filter, oil it, put it back on the cage, and re-install it. I always make a point of stuffing a clean rag into the airbox throat tightly to keep any foreign stuff out. Decided to clean the nooks and crannies out of the airbox with mild solvent and compressed air (definitely left the rag in the throat for the box cleaning). Made sure to clean out throat with rag after box was clean, just to be sure.

Anyways, got it all done, rotated and installed the filter, checking around the whole seam to make sure it fit snug to the cage all the way around.

Just wondering why the frick this setup is so tight? Admittedly, it works, and that's what matters, but between the width of the airbox, and the endless corners in it, seems like it could have been done a little better. Not hating the bike, it's a great machine, but the airbox is a pain.

You're just now coming to that conclusion? ?

Ive looked at it and looked at it and have come to the conclusion that if you really wanted to make it easier on yourself all you'd have to do is move the brace between the subframe spars back about 10mm. Then the air filter would fall in and out of there with ease. If I still had my TIG (some prick stole it from me) I would have done it already.

There is a rotational move that once you learn it, its pretty easy to get the filter in and out. But I agree, there's really no good reason why its gotta be such an acrobatic move to get the filter in and out.

yeah? can you tell me where you get those at? sounds like a great idea!

i'm always really anal about cleaning the air filter/intake system on this, and i know i'm being excessive about it, but id rather take an hour and some elbow grease now, than be down a week and out a couple bills for a valve job later, and seeing as how i just got kibblewhite ss intakes installed over the winter, i want to make sure that the intake is clean as can be.

Thanks!

yeah, saw that, thought the same thing! and yeah, it is a bit of pretzel move to get it in and out of it's "cavity", and the rotating the assembly is essential. Definitely different than the YZ i used to ride. Like I said, I love the bike! The filter is a little challenging though

http://www.motosport.com/dirtbike/product/TWIN-AIR-POWER-FLOW-AIR-FILTER-KIT/?id=117474&sMMY=HONDA;CRF450R;2003

I want to ge the Twin Air version but they dont list it for 2002. Just 2003 on up. Will a 2003 airbox work on a 2002 450R??

the part for the 03 should fit the 02 box. But the 02-04 all had the same basic shaped box, but they changed the boot from 02 to 03 because they thought the boots were leaking and causing the valve issues.

the part for the 03 should fit the 02 box. But the 02-04 all had the same basic shaped box, but they changed the boot from 02 to 03 because they thought the boots were leaking and causing the valve issues.

Right on! Thanks Shawn!! I was hoping that the box itself was the same shape. So I should be fine ordering the Twin Air for an '03.

?:ride: