Sign in to follow this  

Powder Coating Questions

what do i need to do to prep rims, clutch, ignition, and valve cover for powder coating? thanks

Clean, clean, clean...I put my smaller parts thru mr blasting cabinet with play sand as the medium after washing then washed again but the larger parts get a very thorough cleaning with a degreaser and then with a scotch brite pad and dishwashing soap. Any powder company can supply you with a solution to promote adhesion and I do recommend it. Are you doing the powder or are you taking the parts to a shop?

I had my rims (but not spokes) powder coated by a friend of ours. I had to tape (duct tape I believe) around each spoke nipple (and up about an inch on each spoke). Then the rims were sandblasted. Then I had to remove the tape and put special heat-resistant tape on. And of course, remove the tape (another PITA, lol) after powder-coating.

The end result was pretty good. Minor flaws since my taping job was not perfect, but it's not anything noticable except under very close inspection.

4395951141_d4772ab142.jpg

CRF150woman, I'm very surprised that your friend agreed to powder your rims without taking your wheel apart, sooooo much more work than actually breaking them down. Now your spokes are part of the rim on the tube side at least.

To the OP, I hope this is not what you are planning.

The rims will probably just need to be roughed up a bit, with sand paper prolly, whoever is doing the powder coating will probably sandblast the other parts or dip them in a chemical that strips them bare

They look nice crf150woman. Some have to show how smart they are by bashing on others. What I do is to never check the spokes cause I have better things to do and if the rim gets bent,buy a new one and be done with it. Its a hobby, its expensive, and its fun. Dont sweat the small stuff.

Well, I do know that no one (including my husband) was willing to re-lace the spokes.....

My husband and the two powder-coating/sandblasting guys are riders and never once had any concerns about what we did. And I'm not an aggressive rider who has EVER dented a rim or broken a spoke. But whatever. I love my purple rims and get a lot of compliments on them.

Thanks tl1000rlt.

rider119, what color(s) are you planning on? I don't suppose purple is your color of choice, lol.

I want those purple rims!!!

I love putting pink, purple, lime green ect on my bike and gear. It looks different,and I stand out.

Be aware that the part will be heated to about 400° F, so any plastic or rubber parts need to be removed.

thanks for the info guys/gals, i plan on doing the powder coating myself, i really like the gun from eastwood co. (dual setting one that is) this way i can do my own stuff and learn how to do it. so sand blasting isn't a nessecity? but when it is needed what texture of medium do i need to shoot? rough, fine, somewhere inbetween? thanks for the help i'm probably going to go with black for most everything i do but i really do dig the purple!!!

They look nice crf150woman. Some have to show how smart they are by bashing on others. What I do is to never check the spokes cause I have better things to do and if the rim gets bent,buy a new one and be done with it. Its a hobby, its expensive, and its fun. Dont sweat the small stuff.

Interesting take on what I said. My offering was not 'bashing' it was an observation to help answer the original posters question. Also, I hope you were being sarcastic with your response.

Well, I do know that no one (including my husband) was willing to re-lace the spokes.....

My husband and the two powder-coating/sandblasting guys are riders and never once had any concerns about what we did. And I'm not an aggressive rider who has EVER dented a rim or broken a spoke. But whatever. I love my purple rims and get a lot of compliments on them.

I just want to be clear here with you so more don't misread my response...I'm sure your wheels look great and will suit your purposes fine. My response was to guide the OP to break his wheels down and prep them properly because that's how I would do it. He did ask for opinions from us, I'm sorry if you were offended by my response. I hope you weren't. Larry

how about ovens? what do i need as far as that goes?

A household type oven can be used, but I've seen warnings not to use an oven that will be again be used to cook food.

Eastwood sells infrared heating lamps, but even those start at >$300.

A household type oven can be used, but I've seen warnings not to use an oven that will be again be used to cook food.

Eastwood sells infrared heating lamps, but even those start at >$300.

You can use the propane fired space heaters (infrared style) you find at Lowes/Home depot for your rims. Be creative, you'll want a sheet metal backsplash to try and hold some heat. The household oven is good for smaller parts but it needs to be strictly for PC, not for cooking.

founda double oven on craigslist for 150, thought about cutting out the middle between the top and bottom to make it one tall oven so i can hang rims inside of it