Riding near Lake Tahoe/Reno?

California

I am going on a trip to Lake Tahoe in July and I was wondering if there were any good places to ride in that area. Anybody have any suggestions????

The Rubicon trail is right there starting from Icehouse road off of the 50 and ending in Tahoma. I made a trip up there last august for the sole purpose of riding the 22 miles of the Rubicon. I'm sure some people that don't live 500 miles away could probably recommend some more cool trails. You can get free forest maps of the area here: http://www.fs.fed.us/r5/eldorado/maps/ and plan your trails ahead of time.

Shameless pic whoring:

DSCN0513.jpg

DSCN0533.jpg

DSCN0517.jpg

DSCN0520.jpg

DSCN0508.jpg

Awesome pictures. I have been through there in my bothers rock crawler. He keeps telling me to bring my bike but I don't like rock riding. Thought about getting a trials bike for it. That would be fun.

I am going on a trip to Lake Tahoe in July and I was wondering if there were any good places to ride in that area. Anybody have any suggestions????

George Town is good but you can also go to Forrest Hill. I am sure there are other area's right in Tahoe but I don't know.

The Rubicon has a bad reputation. Everyone on a Dirt Bike wants to do it once. I have never heard of anyone doing it twice. :thumbsup:

There is all kinds of riding up near Tahoe. This time of year your only limitation is SNOW.

My suggestion is to try a search in this forum, you'll have SO many suggestions.

Have fun!

Which part of Tahoe are you going to be at? How far do you mind driving to ride. There is a few trails on the South shore area.I hear good things about Pinenuts in Nevada. North Tahoe/Truckee has Posser Pit/ Boca area. Farther north is Packer Lake/Downeville.

Here's a map

http://www.southbayriders.com/maps/ridingareas/index.php?show=offroad

sand track in south lake,gets old in about 5 min!reno area is endless, prosser dam,moonrocks is cool,lemon valley,silver springs.carson city area jhonson lane,pine nuts ,wilson canyon,blue lakes horse canyon.so many ,im missin alot

Yeah, Honda is right! Reno is endless! Tons of spots to ride up here! The only thing is the weather, it can be dry and dusty in the summer but can also get thundershowers too. Feel free to PM me for more info if you have questions, I live up in Reno

Nevada. :thumbsup:

North shore or south shore? It makes a big difference in where we send you.

I am going to be in Truckee but I will drive to where the good riding is.

My in-laws have a cabin outside of Truckee (Carnelian Bay) and I did a short ride at Prosser Pitts last year and would love to find some more areas to ride that are nearby.

I am going to be in Truckee but I will drive to where the good riding is.

OK, saying you're going to Tahoe is like saying you live in California, the north and south are connected, but a bit different.

I lived up in Truckee decades ago. There is a MX track near Prosser Lake, about 15 miles from Truckee. Where you can ride somewhat depends on your bike. If you have a loud desert racer, you'll be restricted to where you can ride. A quiet muffler with a S/A and a trials tire will open up a lot of areas and not have Mr Ranger called out. Lots of jeep trails in the area if your bike is a dual-sport.

You'll be riding around 5000-6000 feet, so plan on doing some rejetting.

Plenty of options, almost any kind of terrain, other than swamp within 40 miles. You might want to hook up with some local riders so you don't end up on a hiking trail or mtn biking trail.

You can ride in Truckee on fire roads and a small hardpack MX track, its fun but nothing to special.

Go 89 North out of Truckee 1st rt on prosser rd and follow signs to prosser pits.

10 minutes away

The better option is to go to Reno (hwy 80)

North on 395

Off at Lemmon Dr go right

Drive about 10 miles and turn right on Chickadee Rd. Stage in dirt and has a map.

About 50-55 minutes from Truckee , single track, sand, rocks and whoops!:thumbsup:

OK, OK, OK,

I know, I know, I know!

But I'm going to go out on a limb here and tell a TT Brother some OUT OF YOUR MIND super secret spots (SSS) are in Truckee. Riding that will BLOW YOUR MIND! :thumbsup:

Views, Singletrack, River Crossings, Rock Gardens, Hillclimbs, Grassy Meadows, Easy or Hard, whatever you want. Specially tailored to your needs & wants.

If you only knew where ................. you would do it in a heartbeat! :confused: There is riding there that is OUT OF THIS WORLD.

Heck! I wanna go! Calling the Sierra Nazi's! Calling the Sierra Nazi's! Time to plan a trip! :worthy:

Edited by superslyko
This smells green!?!
OK, OK, OK,

I know, I know, I know!

But I'm going to go out on a limb here and tell a TT Brother some OUT OF YOUR MIND super secret spots (SSS) are in Truckee. Riding that will BLOW YOUR MIND! :smirk:

Views, Singletrack, River Crossings, Rock Gardens, Hillclimbs, Grassy Meadows, Easy or Hard, whatever you want. Specially tailored to your needs & wants.

If you only knew where ................. you would do it in a heartbeat! :smirk: There is riding there that is OUT OF THIS WORLD.

Heck! I wanna go! Calling the Sierra Nazi's! Calling the Sierra Nazi's! Time to plan a trip! :prof:

Let me know if there is a Truckee group ride.

I'd like to go back there for a visit and ride.

A number of TT'ers LIVE in that area. It's Paradise!

I've had the privilege of riding with a few locals & we've left from their front door!

There is also a OHV trail within 2 miles that is FANTASTIC, right next to Prossner Pits. I'm not a track guy, never have been. Boca, Fallen Leaf, Bowman, Meadow Lake, The Broken Toe, The Stage Coach Trail, The Train Tracks, Ciscue, the list is endless. It's all on the map. The guys in the know rightfully hold these special trails in the highest secrecy.

Combine a search with Google Earth & it's all right there.

All the beer you can drink. :smirk:

I'm on it. :smirk:

P.S. "uhhhhh, Sir, I've never been there, it wasn't me, I don't know what you're talking about."

Edited by superslyko
The world is beautiful. Open your eyes & enjoy it. Share it. Take advantage of it - Drama Boy!
OK, OK, OK,

I know, I know, I know!

But I'm going to go out on a limb here and tell a TT Brother some OUT OF YOUR MIND super secret spots (SSS) are in Truckee. Riding that will BLOW YOUR MIND! :smirk:

If you only knew where ................. you would do it in a heartbeat! :smirk: There is riding there that is OUT OF THIS WORLD.

Heck! I wanna go! Calling the Sierra Nazi's! Calling the Sierra Nazi's! Time to plan a trip! :lol:

The Official Sierra Nazi press release will be out May 22nd (no use printing one if the world is gonna end) :prof:

Hi boys. New to TT. Contrary to popular opinion, I have ridden the Rubicon twice. It's not all rocks, just seems like it. Those rocks in the photo's are Little Sluicebox and Big Sluicebox. Other features are massive rounded Granite hills with trees growing through the cracks (traction is great), stream crossings, a beautiful little lake in the granite- Spider Lake. A guy is buried on the Rubicon, and a couple of dead 4x4's are on the trail. The Rubicon is an experience you should try at least once. Start at Wentworth Springs and end up in So. Lake Tahoe.