Sign in to follow this  

California Repacking help

I have a 2005 CRF450r. I am trying to repack the silencer/muffler. I drilled out the rivets but I cannot slip off the muffler. Any suggestions? Thanks.

Don't quit. They are a bear to pull apart the first time. Rubber mallet, in a vise, sticking something in the exhaust end to beat it out.....use your imagination, but eventually it will come apart.

Well I got'er done. It just needed a little persuasion. However, it did not come without some carnage. Me and tools sometime have disagreements which leads to tool DV and I was the victim again. While drilling out stainless steel rivets, the hot, dull drill bit snapped and of course my finger had a magnetic pull for the broken drill. Luckily it only went in a little.

Now I get to buy some packing material and put it back together. I swear if I do not pass 96dbs I will flip out.

Randy after I wrapped my sons bike with packing I wire tied it to make it stay together while I slid it in. It worked good.

Randy, if you use a layer of coarse steel wool under the fiberglass, it will last much longer, and absorb the 'low' pulses better. Wrap everything up tight in 3-M blue tape, and it will 'un-tape' itself when it gets hot.

Steel wool will rust, so you have to keep it dry when washing. Or use stainless, which everybody talks about, but I've never found....

250px-Steel-wool.jpg

Randy, if you use a layer of coarse steel wool under the fiberglass, it will last much longer, and absorb the 'low' pulses better. Wrap everything up tight in 3-M blue tape, and it will 'un-tape' itself when it gets hot.

Steel wool will rust, so you have to keep it dry when washing. Or use stainless, which everybody talks about, but I've never found....

250px-Steel-wool.jpg

When I opened my bikes's muffler underneath the packing but over the exhaust pipe was a metal wrap with another metal mesh wrapped around that. This appears to be used in lieu of steel wool. I may even wrap steel wool around this. That depends how much space I have, as I want to use all the Lexx Premium packing I just ordered.

After doing all these upgrades, I need to do some test riding and put some time on the bike to break everything in, but being RED it is difficult. Maybe an early morning run (6am-8am) up to Rowher Saturday morning. Anyone interested?

250px-Steel-wool.jpg

http://www.google.com/search?sourceid=ie7&q=Moose+Racing+steel+wool&rls=com.microsoft:en-us:IE-SearchBox&ie=UTF-8&oe=UTF-8&rlz=1I7TSNF_en#q=Moose+Racing+steel+wool&hl=en&rls=com.microsoft:en-us:IE-SearchBox&rlz=1I7TSNF_en&prmd=ivns&source=univ&tbm=shop&tbo=u&sa=X&ei=QNnJTZOVDYqssAOzhIGjAw&ved=0CG4QrQQ&bav=on.2,or.r_gc.r_pw.&fp=4a6afda2e5e8ee6f&biw=1267&bih=562

Moose Racing has stainless wool