Sign in to follow this  

2 Broken Kick Shafts in 12 Months

Last year I got my 295 together and had a great day riding. I went riding the next day, April 2010, and I the 1st kick of the day I snapped the kick start shaft. See picture:

So today it was deja f*cking vu. My buddy stalled his Honda pig 450 and couldn't get it cranked so I cut my beast off. He finally gets the pig kicked over, first kick on my beast and I felt it snap. I looked down and everything looked good, but I knew better. I reached down and I pulled the kick lever and about 1" piece of the shaft out of the bike. W T F? That is 2 shafts that snapped in 12 months:banghead:

Anyone else snapped the starter shaft? Can anyone explain why I would go through 2 in 12 months? The original shaft did last 4 years so I guess I can't really complain about that. Can anyone find an oem schematic that shows this part with pricing. All of the schematics that I have found show the part but no reference number or pricing.

MAX!!!

IMG00073-20100422-1135.jpg

2011-05-07_13-43-07_963.jpg

http://www.yamahapart.com/

This site has all of the parts listed with pricing.

Sometimes I will order from Bikebandit.com, sometimes I will go to the dealer because they sell VP and it is 45 minutes away but they are into motocross and I like to support them.

:thumbsup:

Nope, same as every other oem schematic I have looked up, they show the starter shaft but no reference number or pricing.

MAX!!!

I'm lucky or just overdue... 5 years I've been kicking with the same shaft and just reached the 1 year anniversary of the 295.

Isn't the pre-03 shaft stronger? Maybe you could go that route.

Unfortunately, the shaft is not called out separately. It appears Yamaha only sells the complete assembly. :thumbsup:

KICK SHAFT ASSY 5NX-15601-10-00 $154.36

http://shop.thumpertalk.com/oem.asp?partcategory=282919&manufacturer=6&category=3&year=2006&model=6858

The last time Yamaha listed the shaft separately was model year 1998 (for $168.33!), but of course it won't fit your bike.

I believe there was talk that the cover be replaced as well. It sounds like shaft breakage can be traced to wear in the supporting area.

My 295 is 110 olney and ive yet to brake the shaft. I have probly 200 hours on my 295. I think it comes down to how you kick the bike over too. I have a yz426 this is were I learned to kick big bikes.

I still think the fix for this is to drill/machiene the center of the shaft out to one size. then find some hardened steel to press in the center of the shaft with sleeve retainer loctite. Shaft wont flex and brake at the hole for the spring any more.

I always keep a spare inner clutch cover and spare kick shaft just incase. I did as stated above and im yet to brake one.

If I snap this one im going to make a cad program and just cut my own shafts from blanks made of harder steel.

I had an 01 shaft machined down to fit the 02+ kickstart nuckle.

If you put a solid piece through the shaft you will need to drill it to fit the spring.

I do think it has something to do with the way you kick it as quite a few who have broken the shaft have repeat failures.