Sign in to follow this  

larger gas tank for 2010 KLX250S?

I am trading in my pos 2004 KX250F for a 2010 KLX250S and so far I like what I see. My only problem is that me and dad are going on a touring trip this summer through Canada and Alaska and would like a bigger gas tank, preferably 6 gallons. Is there a aftermarket tank I can buy for it? My dad is trying to get me to get a KLR650 like he has but that thing is just too big and heavy (400lbs) and I still want to be able to throw my new KLX250S around like I did my KX250F. So if there is a place that sells larger gas tanks for this bike could someone please direct me to it? Thanks!:thumbsup:

Is there a aftermarket tank I can buy for it? My dad is trying to get me to get a KLR650 like he has but that thing is just too big and heavy (400lbs) and I still want to be able to throw my new KLX250S around like I did my KX250F. So if there is a place that sells larger gas tanks for this bike could someone please direct me to it? Thanks!:thumbsup:

Right now, the only tank I know for the 2010 is Baker's 1.1 gallon Auxillary tank....if he has any remaining. I love mine. IF anyone comes out with a larger one to replace the stock tank, I'll still have the 1.1 Auxillary tank in addition to whatever bigger tank they make. I sincerely doubt it will be anywhere near 6 gallons, though.

I also have a KLR650...you're kidding yourself if you think they only weigh 400 lbs. It's heavier for sure! It's perfect for the longer off-road rides, as I don't get beat up as much on the KLR compared to when I ride my KLX all day long. That's partly due to the superior aftermarket suspension on my KLR (although I also have upgraded aftermarket suspension on my KLX...it just isn't as sophisticated as the one on the KLR), and partly due to the additional mass of the KLR simply makes for a smoother ride.

idk what they weigh but i guessed that when i rode it, too damn heavy lol! The KLX only weighs 298lbs which is what i like and it isn't as bulky, the 650 would never be able to fit on some of the trails i go on.

Hey all....I just purchased a 2010 KLX250S back in January and LOVE IT!! I just got a recall from Kawasaki regarding the tank, spacing, stress...telling me to stop riding and take to my dealer so they can fix...fine...so in the meantime, I am looking for an IMS, Acerbis, etc. (Husband has a 2006 KLR650 with an IMS tank and swears by it)....well, I contacted a few places and this particular place told me that NOTHING is going to fit the 2010 bike, it is completely different from 2009 and older...my Rad Guards fit cuz my buddy has an older KLX, but that is about it...they don't have much out there for that bike...if any of you want to contact this place....have at it...maybe he will tell you something different....I was told that so far there is no pressing need/request for the tanks. Guess I am taking the bike to the dealer. :ride:

http://www.cyclebuy.com/shopping/gas_tanks/kawasaki.htm

Hey all....I just purchased a 2010 KLX250S back in January and LOVE IT!! I just got a recall from Kawasaki regarding the tank, spacing, stress...telling me to stop riding and take to my dealer so they can fix...fine...so in the meantime, I am looking for an IMS, Acerbis, etc. (Husband has a 2006 KLR650 with an IMS tank and swears by it)....well, I contacted a few places and this particular place told me that NOTHING is going to fit the 2010 bike, it is completely different from 2009 and older...my Rad Guards fit cuz my buddy has an older KLX, but that is about it...they don't have much out there for that bike...if any of you want to contact this place....have at it...maybe he will tell you something different....I was told that so far there is no pressing need/request for the tanks. Guess I am taking the bike to the dealer. :ride:

http://www.cyclebuy.com/shopping/gas_tanks/kawasaki.htm

Whats this recal I just bought a 2010 klx 250 a couple months ago and I never had this recall, whats the actual problem with the tank ?

Go to this link and type in your VIN #, I received a letter from Kawasaki and they have this posted on their site as well.

http://www.kawasaki.com//OwnerInfo/landing.aspx

P . O . B o x 2 5 2 5 2 9 4 9 / 7 7 0 - 0 4 0 0 9 9 5 0 J e r o n i m o R o a d

S a n t a A n a , C a l i f o r n i a F a x 9 4 9 / 4 6 0 - 5 6 0 0 I r v i n e , C a l i f o r n i a

9 2 7 9 9 - 5 2 5 2 w w w . k a w a s a k i . c o m 9 2 6 1 8 – 2 0 8 4

2009-2010 KLX ™ 250 FUEL TANK INSPECTION

WARNING AND RECALL NOTICE

MC 11-04

Dear Kawasaki Motorcycle Owner:

This notice has been sent to you in accordance with requirements of the National Traffic and Motor Vehicle Safety Act.

The reason for this notice:

Kawasaki Motors Corp., U.S.A. has decided that a defect which relates to motor vehicle safety exists in 2009-2010 KLX™ 250 models. On eligible units, the fuel tank could leak from cracks at the spot weld(s) on the side mount tabs due to stress caused by excessive clearance between the fuel tank and a frame-mounted rubber damper. Fuel leakage in the presence of spark or flame could cause a fire or explosion possibly resulting in injury or death. Our records indicate that you have purchased one of these units.

What Kawasaki and your dealer will do:

Your Kawasaki dealer will correct this problem for you at no charge. The correction will consist of inspecting the fuel tank and repairing or replacing as required. The actual repair will take up to one hour but may take longer due to scheduling at the dealership and the time needed to obtain required parts.

What you must to do to ensure your safety:

Please call your authorized Kawasaki motorcycle dealer to schedule an appointment and take this letter with you at the time of your appointment.

DO NOT RIDE YOUR MOTORCYCLE UNTIL THE REPAIR HAS BEEN COMPLETED.

If you need help:

If you have questions or concerns that your dealer is not able to resolve, please contact Kawasaki’s Consumer Services Department at (866) 802-9381 (toll-free) between 8:00 a.m. and 5:00 p.m. PT Monday through Friday. Please have your Vehicle Identification Number ready when calling.

If your dealer fails or is unable to remedy this defect without charge within a reasonable amount of time (60 days after your first attempt to obtain remedy), you may submit a written complaint to the Administrator, National Highway Traffic Safety Administration, 1200 New Jersey Ave. S.E., Washington, D.C. 20590, or call the toll-free Vehicle Safety Hotline at 1(888) 327-4236 (TTY: 1-800-424-9153); or go to www.safercar.gov.

If you received this notice in error:

Our records indicate you are the current owner of the 2009 or 2010 KLX 250 described in this letter. If you no longer have the vehicle described in this letter, please help us to update our records at www.Kawasaki.com by clicking on the “OWNER INFO” link or by calling Kawasaki toll free at (866) 802-9381. Federal regulation requires that any vehicle lessor receiving this recall notice must forward a copy of this notice to the lessee within ten days.

Reimbursement:

If you have experienced the failure described above prior to receiving this letter and have paid to have it corrected, you may be eligible for full or partial reimbursement for your documented cost of repair(s). To apply for reimbursement, please send copies of current owner and VIN information along with copies of repair orders and payment confirmation to the following address:

Kawasaki Motors Corp., U.S.A.

ATTN: Consumer Services Department

P.O. Box 25252

Santa Ana, California 92799-5252

Please note the following conditions for reimbursement:

Only repairs specifically related to this recall are eligible for reimbursement. Other expenses such as towing, rental, and accommodations will not be refunded.

Claims may be excluded if proper documentation is not included. Current owner and VIN information along with copies of repair orders and payment confirmation must be provided.

We are sorry for any inconvenience this may cause, but we have taken this action in the interest of your safety and your continued satisfaction with your Kawasaki motorcycle.

Sincerely,

Kawasaki Motors Corp., U.S.A.

Good News My 2009 & 2010 KLX Owners/Riders....I went straight to the source...I am going to post something below and hopefully this will bring a ray of sunshine/hope to your lives (I have omitted email addresses and telephone numbers for privacy)..these emails are as of June 21st and 22nd!!

Hi Julia – yeah, the ‘09 and ‘10 are the same, at least where the tank is concerned. I don’t think there was an official 2011 model released by Kawasaki from what I can gather. 2012 is showing on their site, and it looks like it might be another redesign. That would be awesome if our tank will fit that one as well, but as always, I’m sure time will tell.

Talk to you soon!

Jack

Hey Jack,

Yeah, he's been very happy to say the least. I did want to ask you though...the bike pics you sent for the new tank "fit"....is that an '09. I am being told that the '09/'10 are pretty much the same when it comes to frame/hardware. My current tank is black, which I am sure you are aware of with the'10's, I will definitely get it in black. I don't think neutral would look very good on my bike...I mean..yeah I like to ride, but I AM A GIRL TOO....it's all about color coordination. Well, I won't take up anymore of your time...you go get cranking on my new 3.0 gallon tank....take care!

Best regards-

Julia

Hi Julia,

Great to hear your husband likes his tank. The KLR tank has been a big hit, and despite only fitting up to 2007 models, still sells incredibly well. People love them!

If this tank goes the same way most new model tanks have been, it will probably be available only in black and natural, at least right off the bat. We will have to wait until we get closer to completion to see what they are going to do ultimately, but I do know that they typically run a bunch of natural and black before they do anything else. So in terms of getting one in green, my best answer would be to say that it is probably more a matter of when, rather than if.

Hopefully they can get those cranking sooner rather than later!

Jack

IMS

Thank you Jack....I greatly appreciate your quick response! My husband has a 2006 KLR 650 and he bought an IMS/Green Tank last year and loves it...makes his bike look like a green monster HA!! This may be too early to ask, but will there be an available green or just black? The pictures look great and 3 gallons sounds even better! Again, thank you for the information and I will keep an eye out for your e-mails and I will try not to get my hopes up come August!

Take care-

Julia

Hi Julia,

Many have been anticipating this tank! Glad to see so many people excited about it. The last information I was given from our R&D manager was that he is hoping to have the project completed by late July / early August. That estimate comes with a huge warning – don’t hold us to it, only because we can never fully predict any problems that might be arise, but the above time frame is what it is looking like currently. They are shooting for about 3 gallons. I’ve attached some photos of what they have come up with so far, and will at the very least give you an idea of what it will look like when it is complete. Hope you like what you see!

Thank you, and take care,

Jack

IMS

Good Afternoon-

I have been reading on forum after forum about trying to find aftermarket tanks for my '10 KLX 250S...no luck....I just received a recall notice from Kawasaki regarding my tank (i.e., leaks, stress, spacing)...so it is going to the dealer to be repaired. On one of the forums someone was saying that you all were going to be making tanks to fit this model, no ETA on the final product....but was told to get on your email list. So, if you guys have the plans in the hopper PLEASE PLEASE email me at your earliest convenience because I will be the FIRST to buy!!

Julia