Cleaning Airbox???

Hey guys, my airbox is nasty so i wanted to know what the best way to do it is. Should i get one of those airbox covers? because with those i heard that u remove the filter, screw that thing in, then you can pressure wash the airbox!! That would be nice. If y'all have any tips/tricks/methods please let me know.

Alright thanks guys.

-bai

The covers are nice, I have used them. I wouldn't turn a pressure washer on it directly, but a hose would probably be ok. As an extra measure of precaution you can stuff a plastic bag or a some paper towels under the cover just in case some water gets by.

How about you just remove the airbox from the bike? soak it in simple green and then power wash it.

I clean mine with simple green and a tooth brush.

take the subframe/airbox off the bike and wash like that no need for the cover

+1:thumbsup:

don't do that lol Mx is enough work as it is just get a cover and have at it man but do put some paper under to catch any water.

I wouldnt recommend this for every time, but my airbox was a bit dirty from the last sand trip and wiping it off wouldnt do anything. I took the subframe completely off, and then hosed the sand off and scrubbed off all the sand with a toothbrush. My airbox has never been so clean. Ive heard good things about those airbox covers though, and ill probably pick one up eventually. But for regular riding my wipe down method works just fine.

Pull it out and clean it properly!!!!

Everytime i clean my filter, i wipe out the airbox,,

30 seconds and its spotless,

its what i do

This is what I used to do, mudflap and everything (other than exhaust) and soak in degreaser or what-have-you until you get to the car wash. Once there set the hose to degreaser and give it a good spray down again, then power wash with soap, then rinse. I used maxima FFT which is some real tacky stuff that is really hard to clean unless you use a degreaser or solvent and brush (diesel, gas etc).

I have the twin air cover and it lets water through, its a terrible design, instead of using a rubber seal that is a circle, they used a strip and glued it together around the cover. This allows the seem to let water through when you hose it off. It even lets simple green through when I spray the box. Now it is easily fixed by putting a towel under the area but for $20 it should just work.

Do yourself a favor take the extra time remove the subframe and airbox clean it right and let it dry. It is the only right way to do it those twin air covers are junk plus you can clean the air track leading to the carb with it removed.

Do yourself a favor take the extra time remove the subframe and airbox clean it right and let it dry. It is the only right way to do it those twin air covers are junk plus you can clean the air track leading to the carb with it removed.

This might be something that I would do during winter maintenance, or if I happened to have the subframe off, but every time you wash the bike is a bit much. The air box cover and some wadded up paper towels in the carb throat will check any water. A quick spray with a hose and wipe it out, done.

I ride a CRF, which are very difficult to access the filter without dropping dirt in the airboot, so I always pull the airbox when I service the filter. I soak the inside with WD40 for a few minutes, then soak it with Shout for a few minutes before hosing it out with my garden hose. No scrubbing required and it looks like a new part when I'm done. It's also much easier to get the filter into the airbox with the subframe out of the way and I can be sure that dirt never drops in my engine during filter service.

003.jpg

005-2.jpg

006.jpg

Never any problems with the Twin Air cover and Mr Clean,then the hose. I always put a couple of towels under it , plus a little grease on the seal.

This is gonna sound like a noob question, but is the subframe and airbox easy to remove?

This is gonna sound like a noob question, but is the subframe and airbox easy to remove?

The subframe is very easy. There are three bolts; two side ones and one in the middle under where the seat is. The airbox will come off with it, Ive never taken the actual airbox out of the subframe because theres rivets that need to be popped out, and its easier to take the whole subframe off.