looking for my first bike

So i have been riding my dads Raptor 650 (i think) and i want to get myself a dirt bike now. This would be my first bike. I have little to no experiance with them, but i have been riding that atv and i use to be a bmx rider and skateboarder, if that means anything lol. Im 21 , about 5'11, and 200ish lb. I want to be able to ride this bike on trails and roads( mostly to get to the trails) also i want to be able to jump some ramps. Also my price range is really low i would like to find one under $1000.

Thank you for any help.

So i have been riding my dads Raptor 650 (i think) and i want to get myself a dirt bike now. This would be my first bike. I have little to no experiance with them, but i have been riding that atv and i use to be a bmx rider and skateboarder, if that means anything lol. Im 21 , about 5'11, and 200ish lb. I want to be able to ride this bike on trails and roads( mostly to get to the trails) also i want to be able to jump some ramps. Also my price range is really low i would like to find one under $1000.

Thank you for any help.

Under $1000 is going to get you none of the above, unless it's a bike that's not currently running.

Assuming you have zero budget for maintenance, stay away from four strokes. While they're going to be better for trail riding, they're SO expensive to maintain. Unfortunately you won't find a street legal two stroke, though. Legal bikes are going to add a couple thousand to cost to buy as well.

we just picked up a near mint cr250 for $750...

look around..

P5060195.jpg?t=1304795314

look around..

Stolen?

I kid... but realistically, that's hard to come by.

Im more just looking for what bikes to look at i can hunt for the right price.

My dad say i should get a 150 because i have never rode a dirt bike before, what do yall think?

I was looking at some kawasakis are they any good? I think they were kx 250.

Im more just looking for what bikes to look at i can hunt for the right price.

My dad say i should get a 150 because i have never rode a dirt bike before, what do yall think?

I was looking at some kawasakis are they any good? I think they were kx 250.

You're way too big for 150... assuming you're talking 4 stroke. KX250 is a two stroke, which IMO is the equivalent of a 450 four stroke. If you have good throttle control and feel comfortable on powersports go for the 250. I'm a 5'4" chick and I started on one.

:thumbsup:I just picked this up for $500 with title and runs great 92 yz 250

pics208.jpg

And just sold this for $300 running 84 cr250

23.jpg

So just keep searching you'll find a great deal,as far as what to get I would say go with a 125 2 stroke till your ready to get a bigger bike:thumbsup:

I think i would rather a 2 stroke because its easier to take care of.

I can control the throttle on the raptor, but thats different i assume. As i said i have never rode a dirt bike.

Look for a 125 I bought a very clean 01 YZ125 for 1200.00 about two years ago. Your weight would be more suited for a 250 2 stroke but a 125 will pull you fine and it will make you a better rider. The good thing about older bikes is the value has dropped alomost as low as it ever will. So you can buy a 125 ride it for a year or two to get better then sell it for all or most of your money back and get a 250 when you are ready for more power. Good Luck and welcome to the best sport ever! IMHO.

look around..

Awesome find.

So a 125 would be a good bike to start off on? i can get a kx125 for $1300, but at the same time i can get a kx250 for between $1500 and $2100. Would those be good bikes for me to start on? i haven't checked the price of other makes yet, but i think im leaning towards a kawasaki, any reason i should look at others?

Thank you

I have always heard KX's are rear wheel turning bikes. For me I like a well balanced bike that the front end will stick. I have never ridden a KX but this trait they talk about has made me not interested. It depends on the year of bike no matter what brand you buy. Find a bike and then ask a lot of questions. for instance I know the 93 CR250 was a great handling bike for it's time and the 97 sucked. It was the first year honda made the aluminum frame and they blew it. I had an 01 and it was great. So findae then do your research. There are brand specific forums on here you can check. Of corse the Yamaha forum will say KX's suck and vise versa but you can figure out what years to stay away from anyway. I just told a guy the other day to get an 06 YZ in stead of the 05. Not that the 05 is crap but for almost the same money the 06 has better suspension. Good luck