Sign in to follow this  

Counter Shaft Sprocket leak?

Went on a good Texas Dual Sport ride today,

And funny thing is me and my buddy sander had the same problem happen to our bikes.

He noticed his counter Shaft sprocket leaking ( dripping ) on his

KLR650, Then i happened just to peak at mine because for a few days

i have been smelling a hot oil burn type smell,

Well, mine is not dripping, as bad as his, but it is leaking a little bit.

My question, Is this a common problem like the petcock failure?

easily fixable? can a generous user send me a link to the parts that i need?

Thank you

You might not need new seals. You'll need to remove the C/s nut and take inspect. You'll need red loctite at least to re install your sprocket. Take a look at the FAQS page to read a little more on the fix. Fairly common. My sprocket didn't need fixing till about the 15,000 mile mark. Some see it straight forM dealer. If entire seAl needs replaced it shouldn't be more then $30http://www.thumpertalk.com/forum/showthread.php?t=625998

The spacer behind the sprocket rusts and then cuts into the seal and a leak starts,if you can get a stainless steel spacer and a new gasket then locktight the nut that should be the end and wont leak again.

Just FYI, are you sure that it is your CS seal?

I thought mine was leaking and replaced it but it still leaked.

Turned out it was oil leaking through the stator grommit that seals the stator wires as they pass through the case. Sealed it up with RTV and fixed the problem.

They look similar and you can't always tell where the oil is coming from

Just FYI, are you sure that it is your CS seal?

I thought mine was leaking and replaced it but it still leaked.

Turned out it was oil leaking through the stator grommit that seals the stator wires as they pass through the case. Sealed it up with RTV and fixed the problem.

They look similar and you can't always tell where the oil is coming from

Yea man,

It very may well be the same problem you had, Not 100% sure it's the counter shaft sprocket, but that' what it looks like, Will try the loc-tight fix, if that doesn't work i will

check the stator grommit,

Thanks for giving me the tip!!

Yea man,

It very may well be the same problem you had, Not 100% sure it's the counter shaft sprocket, but that' what it looks like, Will try the loc-tight fix, if that doesn't work i will

check the stator grommit,

Thanks for giving me the tip!!

Take off the counter sprocket cover (if fitted).

Spray area with engine degreaser.

Wash, let dry.

Ride SLOWLY around the block. Slow so that air, sprocket, or chain can't fling the oil and hide it's true source. See where drip is from.

I thought my CS was leaking (nut was loose, ordered replacement parts), but turns out my stator grommet has two extra holes that are spitting oil while running. Will patch that up.

May still install the CS repair parts, just because the nut was loose, but there appears to be no oil leak there as I had thought.

If you pull the old seal out and take it to a bearing supplier they should be able to measure it and sell you a replacement.

I did and mine cost $2.50 or something like that.

Bloke that gave it to me said that it was a better quality and slightly tighter on the shaft than the original one.

Worked fine for me

Stainless steel spacer and new seal , install the seal over the spacer off the bike so not the damage the seal should be ok then for years just like mine.