Sign in to follow this  

First Ride, TXC-511

We picked up TXC-511, serial number 12, from GP Motorcycle in San Diego and finally got an afternoon to give it a thrashing.

Both my 22 year old son, and I, rode all three generations of the Husky's that we have: the 2007 TE-510, the final edition of that frame (2004-2007), the 2010 TE-510, final edition of that frame (2008-2010), and the new bike.

While the TXC-511 is certainly a new framed bike, the motor has been around a few years on the BMW G450X. Still, it doesn't seem quite fair to compare it to bikes that were each individually at the peak of their respective multi-year development.

Round ONE had my son on the new machine, and me on the 2007 at Pala Raceway, in San Diego, California. My son is still recovering from shoulder surgery, so he's not quite 100% with his left arm. I don't have any excuses; I just suck.

We stopped after 20 minutes or so, and swapped bikes.

Oh, I forgot to mention: for all you Husky Haters that get your panties all bunched up in your female parts, yes, we took these precious, delicate machines to a motocross track (again).

Anyhoo, I jumped on the TXC-511, and I have to say, yes, it's VERY different. I don't mean visually, but in every way. My first thought was that first gear felt very tall (for a bike that's supposed to be a cross country, off road bike). It has a lot less vibration than the "legacy" bikes.

The next thing I thought was that there was something wrong with the power. Granted, this thing has less than an hour on it, and might need to loosen up a bit to make full power, but honestly; I thought this felt like a strong 250F Japanese motocross bike. Guys on the track were pulling me easy with their typical 450 bikes. My 2007 bike can smoke it.

This bike has the tuning done at the dealer, and has the "race" muffler (the stock muffler/spark arrestor was delivered in a box), so I don't know if there's a problem with it, or if this is all there is.

Next thought, the front brake is grabby. Not a big deal. Front forks are completely insane, and we backed off the compression about 5 or 6 clicks (my son made all the adjustments here, so not sure the exact numbers).

Loved the "CTS" thingy (the coaxial swing arm pivot and drive sprocket). It really did seem to want to stick in the corner groove. To pound this point home, later in the day, while riding my 2007 again, I tried to stick a loose berm like the TXC did, and ended up on my head. No scratches, nice loose dirt.

The seat on the TXC is grossly too hard. My butt did end up feeling that gas cap and goofy rear fender "wings" thingy.

Round ONE over, I went back and grabbed the camera to get some shots of my son on the TXC on the national motocross track. I'll throw some of those in later.

I did jump on the 2010 bike, and holly crap, that huge Safari tank is like riding a pregnant mare. Plus, I wear knee braces, so I wasn't having fun. But, the suspension is definitely there, the power is great, brakes good, great throttle response. I didn't feel like riding the mare any more, so I took it back. My son loves it, though; definitely his favorite of the three bikes.

I did take the TXC out for a second round, with my son on the 2010. I tried to concentrate on what I could actually do with the bike, and I think came to grips with many of the oddities.

We've got a little work to do. The chain stretched a lot. The seat pin fell off, so the only thing holding the seat was the front 1/4 turn fastener. Then, at the end of the day, my son took a digger, and broke the left hand guard. We'll tear it apart tomorrow and see what's broke, service it, and do it all again.

Hey, I still really like my 2007 ;-)

Edited by Tony Williams

Three generations of modern Husqvarna 4 strokes, left to right:

2011 TXC-511, serial number 12, 2007 TE-510, 2010 TE-510.

2011pictures4.jpg

At the track, Pala Raceway, San Diego County:

2011pictures5.jpg

Getting warmed up:

2011pictures7.jpg

2011pictures8.jpg

IMG_0033.jpg

IMG_0031.jpg

IMG_0028.jpg

IMG_0027.jpg

2011pictures11.jpg

2011pictures10.jpg

IMG_0026.jpg

IMG_0025.jpg

Those last few pics of "big air" were, in my son's words, "all this bike's got". There was no reserve power on the launch (this is the same jump that you'll watch in the final round of the AMA motocross series in September).

Plus, there was quite a bit of wind to fight in the air today.

Not bad for a trail bike ;-) Hope everyone enjoys, even the Haters.

:thumbsup:

When you keep referencing the haters are you referring to yourself? :thumbsup:

It is great to read your reviews. I do have to say that this was less exhaustive than usual, but I can understand because you were out riding instead of just taking notes. I'm a little surprised to hear that it was underpowered and I'm looking forward to updates on how the power changes as the bike breaks in.

BTW, that picture in the driveway looks familiar (except there wasn't a 511 too)!

When you keep referencing the haters are you referring to yourself? :confused:

Don't hate the playa; hate the game :thumbsup:

Ya, I didn't really get into anything detailed because I want to get more used to the bike, and let it get the suspension and engine broke in.

Edited by Tony Williams

You are difficult to read and understand as far as... well, your latest history with the brand (07, 10, 11) which vary greatly amongst and between those years. Would be interesting to read your son's (you mention him so much) description of the characteristics from his "mouth" here regarding +/- since he seems to be the primary rider.

Can he speak for himself? Good and/or bad. Is that allowed?

Three generations of modern Husqvarna 4 strokes, left to right:

2011pictures4.jpg

I think this picture pretty much sums it up.... Tony owns three generations of Huskys.

He also visited the Husqvarna factory when in Italy recently and posted some really fun insight in that thread.

I'd have to say Tony and his son are both very loyal and dedicated Husqvarna enthusiast. :thumbsup:

Thanks for the review! Seems a little unfair to judge an off road bike by it's performance on the motocross track, but I'm sure you will get around to that another day.

What sprockets are on your TXC511? Under powered would not be a common characteristic of a 511, however it is a very linear smooth power I'd admit and very deceiving. RMZ450's are typically a pretty powerful MX'er and on the same dyno I've seen one with full Akra and PCV produce 41rwhp where a G450X with Akra and PCV made 45rwhp, but the RMZ "felt" faster as it had a pronounced spike/hit in power. With the 511 having 480cc's of juice there are reports of it producing up to 50rwhp which isn't a slouch by any means.

I'm sure the TXC511 will loosen up as it breaks in and perhaps find some more of it's strengths.

Thanks for the report. Interested in more details and info as your experience continues. Can you give us a list of mods on the other bikes as from the pix and time you have them I'm sure they are far from stock. This would give us a better idea of what we are comparing.

As for power I think you described it right on, it feels like a powerful 250F but I think you will find with time it is more of a accommodating feeling and not really a lack of forward thrust. I agree it is not the fastest bike built but has super EZ power and I had no issues hanging with a KTM 530 that "felt" a LOT faster.

Nice pics and comparisons. Your son looks like he's ripping and its's cool to see some feedback from MX. How dare you jump that pohw, pohw bike!! For the record the '07 is a TE, is the '10 also a TE? By backing off the clickers is it safe to say the suspension on the 511 wasn't feeling overly soft/hampering performance? JL said it felt firm and capable at high-speeds/jumping. Looks like pleanty of air and a great test, Pala is pretty gnarly! Get in there personalize it for him and keep the MX feedback coming!!:thumbsup: That's all the "hate" I can muster!! Weak, huh?

What sprockets are on your TXC511?

The bike is absolutely 100% stock. 15/50 is the stock sprocket set on the TXC. The TXC and TC share exactly the same gear box, with 6th gear removed for the TC.

The bike is absolutely 100% stock. 15/50 is the stock sprocket set on the TXC. The TXC and TC share exactly the same gear box, with 6th gear removed for the TC.

that seems a bit tall even with the close ratio 6 speed. I'd try a 14/48 or 14/50 myself and see what you think.

Nice pics and comparisons. Your son looks like he's ripping and its's cool to see some feedback from MX.

We use motocross tracks because they are closer to the house than the desert / mountains / trails. I seriously don't want to get too far from a tool box with a brand new bike. Particularly a Husky :confused:

My son really wasn't up to speed yet, and I don't have speed.:worthy:

For the record the '07 is a TE, is the '10 also a TE? By backing off the clickers is it safe to say the suspension on the 511 wasn't feeling overly soft/hampering performance?

Yes, two TE's, and the TXC-511. Yes, the forks were pogo sticks. But, working good now with the clickers backed off.

That's all the "hate" I can muster!! Weak, huh?

Don't worry, the Haters will train you. :thumbsup:

Some thoughts on the power issue. It looks like the TC has bumped compression, different camshafts, and different ECU with dual mapping switch, and a "single flap" Keihin throttle body. Certainly all doable.

"The TC 449... motorcross version stands for the engine which has been specifically tuned for MX use, delivering significantly more power than the Enduro version.

The timing and camshaft profiles are completely different as is the compression ratio which has increased to 13:1 instead of 12:1 in the Enduro version. The electronic injection system still uses a 46mm Keihin throttle body but is fitted with a single flap instead of the Enduro twin flap version to provide a sharper, more aggressive throttle response. Additionally, the TC449 is fitted with a dual mode switch on the handlebars, which allows access to two different fuel injection / ignition timing maps to provide a softer power delivery for low traction conditions."

Thanks for the report. Interested in more details and info as your experience continues. Can you give us a list of mods on the other bikes as from the pix and time you have them I'm sure they are far from stock. This would give us a better idea of what we are comparing.

2011 TXC-511 > 100% stock, as delivered. Clickers adjusted on Kayaba forks during the day. Added gas, oiled chain, tire pressures front/rear, 12/14 psi, Pirelli tires stock. Stock 15/50 gearing.

2010 TE-510 > Motor / exhaust / fuel delivery / ECU, all stock. Suspension modified with heavier springs, front/rear, Noleen setup valving, big F-ing gas tank. Headlight/tail light removed. Running Dunlop MX-71 tires, 12/14 psi. [Edit; forgot steering damper and bigger radiators, high flow water pump] Stock, 13/47 gearing.

2007 TE-510 > 99% stock, including catalytic converter (Euro-3) still installed. Crappy tires. Clickers cranked in a bit on stock 50mm Marzocchi's. Acerbis handguards, 13/46 modified gearing (taller gearing).

As for power I think you described it right on, it feels like a powerful 250F but I think you will find with time it is more of a accommodating feeling and not really a lack of forward thrust. I agree it is not the fastest bike built but has super EZ power and I had no issues hanging with a KTM 530 that "felt" a LOT faster.

I can't compare it to a KTM 530, 'cuz I've never rode one.

I do agree that this power would work great where you don't need big hit power, like tight trails and woods.

Edited by Tony Williams

Thanks for the review! Seems a little unfair to judge an off road bike by it's performance on the motocross track, but I'm sure you will get around to that another day.

Oh ya, that's what the bikes are for; off road. While I agree it would be a bit unfair to judge this bike solely by it's prepared track performance, all three bikes were ridden by the same riders on the same track on the same day.

Looking forward for the snow to melt up in the high mountains for some solid trail rides.

Edited by Tony Williams

You are difficult to read and understand as far as... well, your latest history with the brand (07, 10, 11) which vary greatly amongst and between those years.

My point with the opening comments was that the 2007 bike was the last bike in it's series, therefore, containing the culmination of development of that series (2004-07). Let's just call that Generation 1 of the modern Husky 4 stroke.

Then, the frame changed and fuel injection was added. At the end, Kayaba forks were added for 2010. I'll call that Gen 2.

With the introduction of BMW developed assemblies in 2011, all new frame, Kayaba rear suspension, well let's call that Gen 3.

My point was that this Gen 3 bike does not have the benefit of the preceding years of development on that specific model. I'm reminded of my first ride on a 2004 Husky with the 45mm forks. Holy crap, those were bad. But, Husky improved it with the 50mm forks by 2007.

Who knows what a 2013 TXC-511 will be like, compared to our bike?

Would be interesting to read your son's (you mention him so much) description of the characteristics from his "mouth" here regarding +/- since he seems to be the primary rider. Can he speak for himself? Good and/or bad. Is that allowed?

No, he can't speak for himself here. That's because he doesn't waste his time on the internet blathering with arm chair experts.

I did ask him, in response to your comment, how he would sum things up:

Ratings:

TXC511....TE510

10............9........Suspension

6............10.......Power

He commented on the popping noises in the exhaust, and the free wheeling effect, requiring much more rear brake than typical 4 stroke bikes.

He does like the bike overall, and we'll work on the power thing.

Edited by Tony Williams