First ride with the DEP pipe (with pics)

Got my DEP pipe installed Thursday night and took half a day off Friday to go ride. I was a little worried about losing bottom end coming from the Gnarly but there was little to no difference to me, at least with the short silencer. I tried both the r304 long and fmf shorty. I like the shorty better in the woods, I'm going to try them both at the track next.

What was different about the pipe was the mid-rpm hit, holy smokes! I found myself on the back tire a few times when I was not expecting it. I also felt like I could stay in the gears a bit longer...and could run in a lower gear in places it seemed I could not before.

Here's a few pics I took, I've got some helmet cam video too that I'll try and post later...

2011-05-05_21-27-51_1.jpg

2011-05-06_16-29-17_446.jpg

2011-05-06_16-34-01_985.jpg

2011-05-06_17-13-57_997.jpg

Nice bike,looks like a fun trail to ride:ride:

FMF shorty for the woods? You guys aren't required to have spark arrestors in NC?

looks sweet and looks like an awesome trail

what are you using as frame protectors?or is it just worn to metal?

That's grip tape on the frame but yes it is worn to metal in spots.

Yeah, I think you are supposed to have a spark arrestor but it's not really enforced as far as I know. I don't think it's as important on a two stroke anyhow.

any chance you could put up a close up pic of the grip tape?or send me a pm with one. im dieing to get rid of my ugly frame guards

sweet bike :thumbsup:

I'm thinking about trying a new pipe for my '98 since all I ride is single track. Went to DEP USA's website, can't find one offered for it. Currently running a PC Platinum and it works well, but will probably try out the FMF Gnarly...

I'm thinking about trying a new pipe for my '98 since all I ride is single track. Went to DEP USA's website, can't find one offered for it. Currently running a PC Platinum and it works well, but will probably try out the FMF Gnarly...

On my 99 YZ250... I had a DOMA pipe with an FMF silencer. That DOMA pipe was really really good in the low and mid and the top revved out further than stock too.

On my 99 YZ250... I had a DOMA pipe with an FMF silencer. That DOMA pipe was really really good in the low and mid and the top revved out further than stock too.

DOMA doesn't seem to offer one either...plus I bet its expensive importing from Belgium if you go direct.

I've tried a few pipes on my 2010 YZ250 and none are as good as my DEP.