Sign in to follow this  

electric start not working after hiting rhino

Satuerday at gorman .riding backbone mostly one way . There one part freemount where it two way .That where i hit the rhino almost miss it .Hit front tire with my foot peg .Danage only my foot peg and boot.The rhino tire was push back side wall the well . After getting up 10 ft. away .My electric start not working. Any idea what to check .

Is your bike starting at all by kicking? Your bike can be flooded right now. Clear out the gas in the engine and carb by turning the gas off, draining the bowl, and kick the bike over multiple times with your hand on the kill switch and full throttle.

Check your battery connection for loose or no connection

Checj your fuses

If you still have your stock clutch interlock I'd check that. Then remove it.

How do I remove it ?

How do I remove it ?

Two wires are running to the clutch perch, which has the 'interupt' switch inside it. Your goal is to connect those two wires together. Do it on the bar, or follow the wires back behind the headlight and splice them there.

Also, check your kill switch. They are fragile.

Two wires are running to the clutch perch, which has the 'interupt' switch inside it. Your goal is to connect those two wires together. Do it on the bar, or follow the wires back behind the headlight and splice them there.

I agree cut and splice them behind your headlight. Get it out of the way.

On a buddies 06 crf 450x he had a couple wires behind the headlight that rubbed against the frame, rubbed the wires bare, and shorted out the fuse (located behind the side plate by airbox). We just cut out the affected section and popped in a new fuse and everything worked.

Jumping out clutch switch is a good idea , but wood that stop it from kick starting ?

Jumping out clutch switch is a good idea , but wood that stop it from kick starting ?

Frayed wires to your starter button definately would still alow u to kick start it.

I agree cut and splice them behind your headlight. Get it out of the way.

On a buddies 06 crf 450x he had a couple wires behind the headlight that rubbed against the frame, rubbed the wires bare, and shorted out the fuse (located behind the side plate by airbox). We just cut out the affected section and popped in a new fuse and everything worked.

I had the same problem. Blew that fuse. Fixed the wire replaced the fuse.

I bypass the clutch interlock . Did not help but a must do any way .As krannie said check harness going through plugs . I think it was the big plug cover with plastic under the side plate . It started up :confused: thank you everone for good ideas .krannie what can i say If you open a repair shop call me . :thumbsup:

Harness short found at steering columm cut open and repair do i need to replace the main harness .

Harness short found at steering columm cut open and repair do i need to replace the main harness .

No. But, if you do make a splice, solder it, and seal it in Shrink Tubing. Don't use a 'solder-less (crimp) connector' because it will corrode in short order. Even if you use a 'corrosion free' version.