Sign in to follow this  

whats the magic process?

I just got a 1990 Xr250r. Well the guy I bought it from got it kicked started right off the get go. So I buy it and take ot home. Only to find myself kicking the guts outta of it and my leg falling off. Is there some kind of method to the maddness to start this bike. I also cleaned the carb 2 times and hasnt helped a bit. Thanks

Apply full choke. Open the throttle, pull in the compression release, hold it in and kick the engine through 4-5 times. Close the throttle, let go of the compression release, turn the idle speed knob in a turn or so. Push the kickstarter slowly until you feel compression, then push the kickstarter another couple of inches. Return the kickstarter to the top of the travel and give it a good boot. Keep trying, it will take a while to get the procedure down pat. When the engine fires, move the choke lever to the mid position until the engine warms up. Minor variations on this procedure may be necessary to discover the best way for your particular bike.

it's a 250, you don't need the 'starting drill', turn the choke on full, don't touch the throttle, kick it.

Hell, you could cycle the kicker with your hand. :thumbsup:

Once it starts, move the choke to 1/2 open position for a couple of minutes, they are cold blooded beasts.

it's a 250, you don't need the 'starting drill', turn the choke on full, don't touch the throttle, kick it.

Hell, you could cycle the kicker with your hand. :confused:

Once it starts, move the choke to 1/2 open position for a couple of minutes, they are cold blooded beasts.

Exactly!

With my 250 its full choke, NEVER touch the throttle, push kicker till you find TDC (high resistance on the kicker), go slightly past tdc, and give it a big boot!

Mine starts 1st or second kick from stone cold, and usually first when hot.

Kicking these things shouldnt be hard,

UNLESS-

Your slightly opening the throttle when kicking----- DONT DO IT!!!!

Or youve got a crby jetting problem, but considering the P.O kicked it so easly id say its your technique

Goodluck! :thumbsup:

well i got it to fire on the first kick. now when it warms up it just falls on its face and dies. cleaned the carb four times but it hasnt helped???? any ideas? it has stock jetting but has a super trap slip on. could jetting to lean make it die when it gets up to operating temp?

Is it really warmed up? I have the XR400 and before I got the Mikuni pumper it would roll over and die if you really cranked the throttle if it was low in the RPMs. A little opened up exhaust shouldn't make that much of a problem. I wouldn't keep "cleaning the carb". It's clean by now already.

Try sticking the choke between off and the half way on point and see if it revs better. What's your air filter look like? Fresh gas? Spark plug?

Before you rejet, take it for a half hour ride. When you're approaching home wind it out for a good 10 seconds in like third gear on level ground. Shut it down with the kill switch and let off the throttle. Check your plug. That will tell you if you need to rejet.

I have an 89, and my procedure is simple, full choke, 3 kicks and it will start, then die before I can reach the choke lever, 1/2 choke 1-2 kicks and its running, let idle for a few seconds, then give it a lil gas just to speed up the warm up cause I'm impatient, then drop it in first while flipping the choke off and away we go

I just got a 1990 Xr250r. Well the guy I bought it from got it kicked started right off the get go. So I buy it and take ot home. Only to find myself kicking the guts outta of it and my leg falling off. Is there some kind of method to the maddness to start this bike. I also cleaned the carb 2 times and hasnt helped a bit. Thanks

On my '93, I find that if I set the idle screw a bit high, choke it, she will start OK, but then as it warms up, I have to lower the idle. If I don't step up the idle setting, its a kick-fest with no flame....

I was having the same staring problem with my 2002 XR250. From a stone cold start, I decided one day to lean the bike over like if you fell on the trail to the point where it is leaking gas from the carb vent tube. bring the bike back up and fully choke it and kick it. My usually starts in the first or second kick after this procedure. I also found that after a ride when we get back to the truck before turning the bike off I turn the idle knob up to the point where I want it to be next time I start it from cold, that way I can just choke it and kick it to start. it just takes a step out of the process but I feel it helps me get it started faster. Try the process of leaning the bike over. LEt us know how it turns out. I would also check your valve clearances and your spark plug before taking the carb apart again. Also this is really stupid but make sure that your fuel valve is in the "ON" position and that the spark plug is tight in the head. Ill admit that in the past my bike has not started because I was in such a hurry I forgot to turn on the fuel and another time the bike wouldn't start because I forgot to tighten down the spark plug in the head. Simple mistakes like that can make a bike problematic.

I have an 89, and my procedure is simple, full choke, 3 kicks and it will start, then die before I can reach the choke lever, 1/2 choke 1-2 kicks and its running, let idle for a few seconds, then give it a lil gas just to speed up the warm up cause I'm impatient, then drop it in first while flipping the choke off and away we go

LOL, other times I can find the choke instantly.

But when the bike has started, and I have a few seconds before it sputters to get it to 1/2 way, you think I can find that MF'er more than 50% of the time!!

it's like some little fairy is down there covering it up!! :smirk: