Antigravity Batteries Giveaways: Winners Announced! Read more... ×
Sign in to follow this  

How to lower heart rate while racing

So I just finished a 2 hour hare and hound race where I wore my heart rate monitor. I did OK and had a lot of speed early on but just couldn't maintain it. Even after slowing down and resting I couldn't press for very long as I was just spent.

After the race I looked at my heart rate results - 182 bpm average over the 2 hours with a max at 198 bpm. First of all, I'm 35 - is this bad for me to push this hard? (I'm going to ask my doctor at the next visit)

Second, at this level I'm in the anearobic range and not getting enough oxygen which would explain why I can't seem to find that second wind. What type of training do I need to focus on to improve my heart rate during a race? I don't want to necessarily slow down rather improve my health and racing technique to keep it in control.

The best advice I can give is to start any long distance race slowly to allow your cardiovascular system time to get warmed up. A two hour race is in no way a sprint and you're not ready to go fast immediately. Would you start a marathon with a full on quarter mile sprint?

Can't tell you what you need to train because I don't know what strengths and weaknesses you have. I have always preferred short intense training sessions to long slow distance work.

The best advice I can give is to start any long distance race slowly to allow your cardiovascular system time to get warmed up. A two hour race is in no way a sprint and you're not ready to go fast immediately. Would you start a marathon with a full on quarter mile sprint?

Can't tell you what you need to train because I don't know what strengths and weaknesses you have. I have always preferred short intense training sessions to long slow distance work.

Isn't this the exact reason the Pro's warm up on an exercise bike before a moto?

Yes,it is. But how many amateurs riding on there own dime bring an exercise bike to the track?

So,get in the best shape possible and ease into the race. Pick off riders who do what you used to do. You may not win,but every race is practice for the next one.