Sign in to follow this  

Beginning racer mods!

Hey guys! i have a 2004 CRF250R, and id like to start racing at some local tracks. I have some track experience, ive gone to some practices. Im getting my AMA membership this weekend. Im looking for some advice on mods to my bike. Im not looking to put a TON of money into my bike, but yet, i dont mind some if its going to make my bike easier to control/faster. I know i could use a new exhaust, im a trail rider, so i have a white brothers E2, so it has the spark arrestor and everything, what kind of suggestions are there for exhaust? Also, steering stabilizer? Is it worth the money? What is a good aftermarket stabilizer? How about PowerNow intake fins? Give me anything you guys can think of that is very well needed. Holeshot device? Thanks guys!

put the stock exhaust on.....dont buy an aftermarket exhaust since you are just starting and im sure you cant ride the bike 100% of what it is capatable of doing....in stead invest in some comfortable grips. good levers make sure your clutch cable is in good working order and not rough...make sure you have good tires. and if you have to spend money on parts spend money on getting your suspession setup for your weight....hole shot device's arent that great.....i pull hole shots with out one...hell i pulled two hole shot back to back last weekend and 3-4 other guys had the device and i blasted them off the line....

So with that being said. ride the bike and dont waiste big money untill you can dominate on the bike you have now.

put the stock exhaust on.....dont buy an aftermarket exhaust since you are just starting and im sure you cant ride the bike 100% of what it is capatable of doing....in stead invest in some comfortable grips. good levers make sure your clutch cable is in good working order and not rough...make sure you have good tires. and if you have to spend money on parts spend money on getting your suspession setup for your weight....hole shot device's arent that great.....i pull hole shots with out one...hell i pulled two hole shot back to back last weekend and 3-4 other guys had the device and i blasted them off the line....

So with that being said. ride the bike and dont waiste big money untill you can dominate on the bike you have now.

Best advice anyone can give. The bike is pleanty fast enough.

stock bikes are fine until you get into competitive B class as long as you have learne the ike itseld, best adjustment is suspension

1. Suspension

2. Gas for practice laps

Though I myself have my suspension done, I dont agree with it being the "first" mod. Most new riders (and sometimes experienced) have no idea how to set up suspension correctly (stock or modified). IMO, it's not going to make much of a difference to spend all that money and have it still feel bad because you havent spent anytime learning about setting it up properly. Until you have tried with the stock susppension to get it close to "the best you can, with what you got", I would never even consider it. Heck, most people dont even set their sag correctly. My first choice would be springs (depending on weight). Then try different things with the stock equipment first like sliding the fork tubes up or down, more oil, less oil in the forks, proper sag, then adding +/-5mm sag, clicker adjustment (rebound/compression). Then when you have a fairly close idea to what you want and were you feel the bike is bad/good/great then look into suspension work. Other then that, gas is the only second option as money spent. Again this is just my opinion and I believe it is the cheapest option.

spend money on getting your suspession setup for your weight....

What did I miss?

Pro Action and a few other companies go around to the local tracks and charge $20 to set you up. They set the sag and ask lots of questions and fine tune your suspension to fit the ride and the riders needs.

I had my kids 08 250 suspension set up with over $1200 worth of work (GR2 valves, rebound springs, the whole 9 yards). Was it worth it? Hell yeh it was worth it. His confidence level went through the roof. At the beginning of the season, he was a mid pack C-rider coming off a stock 06 CRF250 with springs for his weight only. The suspension was done prior to him even riding the 08. The difference after a few rides on the 08 was night and day. By the end of the season, he was front of the pack B and 90% of the time 1st, 2nd or 3rd. Completely stock bike besides the suspension. Believe what you want, but the proof is in the results.

spend money on getting your suspession setup for your weight....

What did I miss?

Pro Action and a few other companies go around to the local tracks and charge $20 to set you up. They set the sag and ask lots of questions and fine tune your suspension to fit the ride and the riders needs.

I had my kids 08 250 suspension set up with over $1200 worth of work (GR2 valves, rebound springs, the whole 9 yards). Was it worth it? Hell yeh it was worth it. His confidence level went through the roof. At the beginning of the season, he was a mid pack C-rider coming off a stock 06 CRF250 with springs for his weight only. The suspension was done prior to him even riding the 08. The difference after a few rides on the 08 was night and day. By the end of the season, he was front of the pack B and 90% of the time 1st, 2nd or 3rd. Completely stock bike besides the suspension. Believe what you want, but the proof is in the results.

Understand, I wasnt saying re-worked suspension is bad, I was saying re-worked suspension with a bad set-up isnt going to make any difference!

Understand, I wasnt saying re-worked suspension is bad, I was saying re-worked suspension with a bad set-up isnt going to make any difference!

Makes more sense now!

Thanks guys! The guy i bought the bike from had the suspension done by Tech-Care in waterford, MI. He had it set for a 160 lb rider. Seeing as I am at about 205, i think thats a good investment. I will probly go to Tech-Care, unless someone has a sugestion in the state of michigan. I live in Lansing, but i dont mind driving a lil ways if I know im getting good work done for a good price.