Looking at getting my next 20-year gas truck

I'm kicking around getting a rig to last me the next 20 years (fingers crossed on that last one). I really dislike spending money on cars and trucks, so I prefer to make them last as long as possible. Now, if only I could practice that. :confused:

The kids are getting older and the Ranger just isn't going to cut it much longer. I don't drive my truck a lot as I commute 80 miles/day and do it on my BMW bike. The only time I drive to work is when it's icy which is probably about 20-30 days a year. I don't tow a lot now but eventually that may change with a boat, toyhauler, etc. I also want to be able to tow a bobcat or excavator if I choose to rent one. Mileage isn't a huge factor for me so I don't think a diesel is really necessary.

At first I was leaning towards letting the EcoBoosts prove themselves and see what they were starting to go for next year, but the difference between $15k and $35k buys a lot of fuel. Now I'm thinking about just looking for a nice used rig with low miles and what I need.

Must have:

1) crew cab

2) 4x4

3) long bed

4) fullsize (I'm 6-6)

5) prefer stick but not dealbreaker

I'm looking at 3/4 and 1-ton rigs from about 2004. I've never been a big GM fan due to the IFS, but when I consider that 95% of my driving is on the road it really doesn't seem to be a big deal. I seem to be leaning towards finding a Chevy/GMC 2500/3500 with an 8.1/allison combo. I don't really know if the 8.1 is that much of an advantage over the 6.0, but I know it has the Allison. The ideal rig would have a Whipple Charger on it as well. :thumbsup: I really like Ford diesels but for some reason I've never been a huge V10 fan for the obnoxious MPG, but I suppose the 8.1 is exactly the same. The 5.4 is probably comparable to the 6.0 for the most part. I don't know much about the Dodges so I haven't really considered them, but maybe I'm missing something good there.

Any big factors I should be considering? My price range will probably be $15-20k when the time comes. Thanks.

If you're only going to use this truck in bad weather when you can't ride or for hauling heavy stuff, I'd stick with the gasser, it takes a lot of miles to make up for that higher purchase price (especially if you're like me and get every useful mile out of a ride).

As for engines....the 5.4 in the Super Duty chassis is just a slug for work/towing duty....no power, gutless wonder, and drinks almost as much gas as the V10. Heavily loaded, it seems like it drinks more. It's OK until you start wanting to work the chassis like it's designed, then it really comes up short.

I've had a variety of big blocks, diesels, and V10's. I actually loved the V10's, especially the later ones. But as you stated mileage will never be good. I used to get a best of around 11mpg with a crewcab 3/4 ton and a crewcab dually...both 4x4s. Around 17mpg was the best I ever got with my diesels (and excursion 4x4 and a crewcab dually 2wd. I have kind of a heavy right foot so the turbo was always singing. If you can stay out of the turbo, you should be able to do better on mileage. The 8.1 and 6.0 won't do any better than the V10 in a big truck.

I'm kicking around getting a rig to last me the next 20 years (fingers crossed on that last one). I really dislike spending money on cars and trucks, so I prefer to make them last as long as possible. Now, if only I could practice that. :confused:

The kids are getting older and the Ranger just isn't going to cut it much longer. I don't drive my truck a lot as I commute 80 miles/day and do it on my BMW bike. The only time I drive to work is when it's icy which is probably about 20-30 days a year. I don't tow a lot now but eventually that may change with a boat, toyhauler, etc. I also want to be able to tow a bobcat or excavator if I choose to rent one. Mileage isn't a huge factor for me so I don't think a diesel is really necessary.

At first I was leaning towards letting the EcoBoosts prove themselves and see what they were starting to go for next year, but the difference between $15k and $35k buys a lot of fuel. Now I'm thinking about just looking for a nice used rig with low miles and what I need.

Must have:

1) crew cab

2) 4x4

3) long bed

4) fullsize (I'm 6-6)

5) prefer stick but not dealbreaker

I'm looking at 3/4 and 1-ton rigs from about 2004. I've never been a big GM fan due to the IFS, but when I consider that 95% of my driving is on the road it really doesn't seem to be a big deal. I seem to be leaning towards finding a Chevy/GMC 2500/3500 with an 8.1/allison combo. I don't really know if the 8.1 is that much of an advantage over the 6.0, but I know it has the Allison. The ideal rig would have a Whipple Charger on it as well. :thumbsup: I really like Ford diesels but for some reason I've never been a huge V10 fan for the obnoxious MPG, but I suppose the 8.1 is exactly the same. The 5.4 is probably comparable to the 6.0 for the most part. I don't know much about the Dodges so I haven't really considered them, but maybe I'm missing something good there.

Any big factors I should be considering? My price range will probably be $15-20k when the time comes. Thanks.

If you really are considering towing a mini excavator, no rental place will let you tow it out of there unless you have a HD 3/4 or a 1 ton. Otherwise, seems all your options are reasonable. I like the Chevy/GMC for the nicer ride. IMHO, easier to work on that a Ford. I have no comment on Dodge except I did buy a new 2010, sounds like I got almost exactly what you was after, ie crew cab, long bed, 4WD, manual tranny except I did get the diesel.

If you really are considering towing a mini excavator, no rental place will let you tow it out of there unless you have a HD 3/4 or a 1 ton. Otherwise, seems all your options are reasonable. I like the Chevy/GMC for the nicer ride. IMHO, easier to work on that a Ford. I have no comment on Dodge except I did buy a new 2010, sounds like I got almost exactly what you was after, ie crew cab, long bed, 4WD, manual tranny except I did get the diesel.

I depends on how mini the excavator is....the 324 Bobcat is only 3400 lbs....but it's scoop isn't much bigger than a round top shovel. Same goes for the Cat 301 series.

I depends on how mini the excavator is....the 324 Bobcat is only 3400 lbs....but it's scoop isn't much bigger than a round top shovel. Same goes for the Cat 301 series.

I had a buddy who was renting a skid steer (Bobcat) and they asked him what he was towing it with, he said "I have a 1 ton", he said, "no problem" come on down and we'll get you hooked up. He rolls in with his 1985 Toyota std cab long bed 1 ton. He wasnt lying and they said that it would be fine. They dropped it off and picked it up for free because of their error. :thumbsup:

Pro Marinero, I'd consider the diesel if I was you. I think it would be your best bet all around. Mileage is really good on a large diesel compared to a gasser. And it will always pull anything you put behind it "easily"

Well... at probably no more than 7k miles a year I don't think the diesel will pay itself off. The diesel premium cost plus the extra fuel and maintenance costs buys a lot of 87 octane. :thumbsup:

I'm looking more at the V10's. From the earlier comment and what I've read elsewhere those look like a dependable motor, plus the mpg isn't more than 1-2 off of a 6.0/5.4 depending on your right foot. Given the cost of fuel it may be a buyer's market for these trucks before too long.

Well... at probably no more than 7k miles a year I don't think the diesel will pay itself off. The diesel premium cost plus the extra fuel and maintenance costs buys a lot of 87 octane. :thumbsup:

I'm looking more at the V10's. From the earlier comment and what I've read elsewhere those look like a dependable motor, plus the mpg isn't more than 1-2 off of a 6.0/5.4 depending on your right foot. Given the cost of fuel it may be a buyer's market for these trucks before too long.

My parents had a V10 in a Class A RV, and nothing but trouble. I still believe that problem was caused by the coach builders choice of location for the air filter and intake, not Ford.

At 20k, it had plugged up the cats. Ford warrantied that. Nobody dug further to try to figure out why.

25k it starts losing power...drastically. Hard to start. Ford says the heads are shot due to ingesting water from a poorly located air intake pickup. New heads, relocate air intake.

At 36K, it started missing and spluttering, more so on hard pulls and cold starts....fired up like an old school diesel with no pre-heating system.

Ford digs into it, says they're over mileage on warranty (36.6k miles) and tells them the engine is junk....pistons coming apart. After much wrangling, it's brought up that the coach was not delivered to the customer until it had 900 miles on it, thus there is still 300 miles of warranty. Ford rebuilds engine.

At 60k, it's doing it all over again. Pistons were flaking apart, cylinder walls are scored, etc etc. Dad cons me into installing a reman engine and we guts the cats (they're plugged again).

107k....misfiring, compression is down, and the trans is starting to slip. Traded it on a 08 39' triple slide with the GM workhorse chassis.

This is the only V10 I know of that was that big of a pile, though.