5x8 enclosed trailer for 2 bikes, yes or no?

I have been thinking about a 5x8 enclosed trailer for my 2 bikes. I know it will be cramped, but I have limited space to store it, and I am pulling it with an 08 Mercury Mountaineer. I dont plan on adding shelves, cabinets or anything to the inside of the trailer. Good idea or bad? I currently have a 5x8 utility trailer that looks like a landscape trailer. Any thoughts would be much appreciated!

I have been thinking about a 5x8 enclosed trailer for my 2 bikes. I know it will be cramped, but I have limited space to store it, and I am pulling it with an 08 Mercury Mountaineer. I dont plan on adding shelves, cabinets or anything to the inside of the trailer. Good idea or bad? I currently have a 5x8 utility trailer that looks like a landscape trailer. Any thoughts would be much appreciated!

It will work, like you said, not much room left. But certainly plenty for gearbags etc. And if you had to sleep in it overnight, let say a 2 day trail ride/race/enduro event, you could, just chain the pair of bikes to the trailer at night. The Mountaineer will pull that thing with ease. That rig is rated for much more than that trailer even with your bikes and gear. I think with your limited space as you say, that is a good way to go.

no problem, do it in my 5x8 all the time, even had a XR70 in there at the same time also:thumbsup:

my titan pulls my haulmark 5x8 like its not even there

I have a 5x10 + V-nose and get four full sized bikes in there plus tools, gearbags, gas cans, stands, EZ-up, lawn chairs, cooler, etc.

I just brought this home 2 nights ago. Stole it for $500!!!! It's a 2001 5x8 haulmark. The jeep pulled it empty just fine like it wasn't even there on the power and brakes. I could feel a little difference in handling though. Loaded I'm confident power and brakes will be fine. On a windy day though I may be the jerk cruising down the highway at 55mph but I've got no problem going a bit slower to make it home safe.

My intention is to make 2 wheel chocks to put bikes on either side. With the little space against the front wall that would be in between the bikes I'd like to build one vertical row of shelving to throw a spare parts crate, a tool box, and a shelf for chemicals. The depth of that shelf is going to be dictated by a 3rd wheel chock that will offset a center bike back a bit. Basically I'll set it up so my personal bike could be hauled in the center for the very rare occasion that there's 3 bikes being towed.

On the sides I'd like to figure out how to secure some tires, air pump and other misc stuff. I plan to mount a first aid kid on the swing out door and on the floor will screw down a couple pieces of wood to make sore of a spot for 2 gas cans to keep those from sliding around.

The trailer is tiny but I think with a little bit of planning you can set it up to haul 2 or possibly 3 bikes and still have some decent storage space. I'd like to basically make it my entire bike system, keep a dedicated set of tools for bike maintenance, all parts, tires, pumps, literally EVERYTHING that is bike related in my garage I want to store in the trailer so when at races or out for weekends it's all there. Leave floor space for sleeping just to be able to get out of the wind and elements if need be also! Possibly make a place to store my folding cot against the wall too. If I'm really nice I could buy a 2nd folding cot to keep in there for any friends to crash on as well I guess...

I do have some sticker peeling to do though but for the price of the trailer I'm not going to complain! LOL Oh I also need to relocate the tongue jack cause it hits the spare tire on my jeep and also want to mount the spare tire to the tongue or have it strapped to the wall inside also...

trailer-1.jpg

I just brought this home 2 nights ago. Stole it for $500!!!! It's a 2001 5x8 haulmark. The jeep pulled it empty just fine like it wasn't even there on the power and brakes. I could feel a little difference in handling though. Loaded I'm confident power and brakes will be fine. On a windy day though I may be the jerk cruising down the highway at 55mph but I've got no problem going a bit slower to make it home safe.

trailer-1.jpg

Good deal, best of luck to you towing it.

I've had a 5x8 Haulmark for about 6 years now. 4-1/2 of those years I towed it with a 01 TJ, 2" lift, 33x10.50's. Lots of white knuckle experiences. Crosswinds would often get it wagging, and a short wheelbase Jeep handles that HORRIBLY. Any situation that requires moderate braking becomes an emergency stop. Even with just 1 bike and some gear mine would weigh in around 1100 lbs, which seemed to be more than enough to shove the short wheelbase Jeep around. I don't know if you have brake upgrades where you can adjust proportioning, but mine with stock brakes (and EBC Green Stuff pads and shoes, Russel braided lines, new master, calipers, wheel cylinders, etc) would lock the front wheels with any moderate braking and the trailer on back (I learned grabbing the E-brake while stopping helped immensly). If your trailer is like mine the axle is practically centered, and it's difficult to get enough tongue weight. Even with 15% tounge weight mine would want to wag, I really needed to weigh it down to 250-300 lbs to keep it stable (added a tounge box and carried a floor jack, jack stands, tools, etc in there, which helped add a lot of weight up front). Best thing to help handling was adding some Air Lift 1000 bags that go inside the rear coils. Even just 15 psi stiffened it up enough to take a lot of sway out of the rig.

Now I drive a 92 C2500 and can't even tell the trailer is back there. Braking is amazingly better. One of the things I wished I had done before was add trailer brakes for the Jeep, I truely feel it would have been much safer that way.

Anyway, couple of pics. I later added a shelf across the front of the trailer, just above the bike's front fenders. Stowed my gear bag, boots, helmet, tire pump, etc up there. Typically kept the gas can up front as well, strapped to the floor mounted tie down loops I added. The door shelves for oil, carb cleaner, etc was one of the best things, kept it organized and in place.

Picture840.jpg

2025d429.jpg

Picture936.jpg

Wow! $500, what a steal! And great ideas. Thats the kind of deal Im looking for. Used trailers seem to be fairly scarce around here. I found a new one, side door, and the rear door that folds down for $2500. I just cant seem to pull the trigger on it yet...

Just checking back in... I built 2 wheel chocks last night. Also was the first time I'd wheeled the bikes into it. Became evident really fast that I won't be squeezing 3 of them in it like I'd hoped but not a big deal really as I can't even remember the last time I had a need to haul 3 bikes. Was just hoping to have that option. I have an open 5x8 trailer I can do that if needed...

Tonight I'm hoping to get the wheel chocks bolted down and an additional center tie down point. Then depending on time I will make a run to the hardware store tonight and possibly start on the shelving. I'm racing this sat about 2.5 hours north of here. Not sure if I'm going to try hauling this trailer or not this weekend. Might hold off and use it for some shorter runs first.

I'll post up some pictures of how the inside ends up...

This summer, when the demand is low and snowmobile trailers go on sale I plan to get one of these.

The 7' wide series trailer w/front door is awesome.

sno7e.jpg

sno7d.jpg

sno7f.jpg

So... I had my first true towing test with my setup this weekend.

From Vegas to SoCal with 40-50mph winds. On the down hills I was able to see 55mph. Flats was only pushing 50mph.

My jeep is the 3 speed auto! I'd kill for a manual and it's on my swap list someday in the future! Basically I was driving with my transmission temp gauge dictating what my foot was doing. On the way there I got a nice whopping 8 mpg! Didn't win any races that's for damn sure. Handling wise, considering my lack of speed it really wasn't bad. I had a death grip once or twice on a few cross wind areas but really as long as you realize you're driving a jeep with a loaded trailer and don't act like it's a ferrari it's fine. The semi trucks weren't really fairing much better.

Now on the way home yesterday with no wind it did great! Could've pushed it at 70-75 but chose to stay more in the 60-65mph zone. Did great on hill climbs and the trans temp never got extreme by any means unlike pushing the headwind where it was a bit of a concern a few times.

Basically, can a jeep pull it? In good weather, not a problem as long as you're not an idiot and realize what you're doing. Wind, well... It's a project!

My list of improvements... Short term, dedicated trans cooler! Long term, manual transmission so I don't have to worry about cooking it and also can get a little more power to the ground.

As for the trailer itself... This weekend was 40mph+ winds all weekend. Tossed a cot inside it and slept GREAT!!!! Sure beat a tent that's for damn sure! I've got ideas for a fold down bed on one side if not both after this weekend also! I built a shelf across the front inside above the fenders. I'm able to keep my gear bag, sleeping bag, clothes bag and a milk crate with all my tools and chemicals up there. Spare tire rests up front in front of the one wheel chock that I have set back a bit to help the bars clear on two bikes. On the floor I had spare tubes and a pump, bike stands, gas can, cooler, chairs, etc... Basically I'm stoked with this purchase and with a bit more work I really think it's going to evolve into exactly what I had hoped.

I'm thinking about building a box on the tongue to put in a deep cycle battery as well as a jack and other tools. With the battery I want to be able to power a light inside the box and maybe have at least a cig. lighter or two for 12 volt plug in accessories. Ipod and tunes kinda deal you know. My thoughts are to rig up a 5th wire for charging that battery while in tow. Maybe throw in a diode or something to allow for the charging but not draining the jeep battery while sitting over weekend in camp or something like that. Over my head but I know with a few questions my Pops could have it explained to me and I could knock it out.

trailer1.jpg

From Vegas to SoCal with 40-50mph winds. On the down hills I was able to see 55mph. Flats was only pushing 50mph.

My jeep is the 3 speed auto! I'd kill for a manual and it's on my swap list someday in the future! Basically I was driving with my transmission temp gauge dictating what my foot was doing. On the way there I got a nice whopping 8 mpg!

Sounds like my experience. When I moved out to AZ I fought 40 mph head winds in Texas. 3 spd 2001 TJ, 3.73's and 33x10.50's. Couldn't hold 55 mph, ended up running ~48 mph in 2nd gear, let me take my foot WAY off the gas. Still managed a dismal 9 mpg.

Then I stopped for gas. Hit the on-ramp afterwards, Jeep shifted to second, then nuetral, then 2nd, nuetral, 2nd, etc etc, quite violently I might add. Foot off the gas, it went to 3rd and was fine. Try to kick a downshift, no go until it could go to 1st.

Stopped, check fluid, played with kick down cable, etc etc. Everything seemed fine. Off again, same issue. Several more stops till I found a hotel.

Next morning off to a trans shop, but the Jeep was working fine. They told me to get it hot. Went and got the trailer and performed probably 50 drag runs up and down the street in front of the shop. Everything worked perfectly. One guy is saying torque convertor, other guy is saying slipping bands.

Guy in his late 70's walks over from the other side of the shop. Asks "isn't that a TorqueFlite A999 in them?" (actually 32RH, but same thing).

I said "yes".

He went on about how they used to see the same issue all the time. Run em hot, let it heat soak a little, then the valve body would would slightly warp or pinch the pistons inside, binding it up and stopping gear changes.

The employees jsut scratched their heads and said "makes sense".

I think I put about 65,000 miles on it after that before selling the Jeep, never had a problem again. Heck, I didn't even change the fluid for about 25K after that episode, as it still looked new. Guess that old guy knew a thing or two. Never found out what his experience was with that transmission.