Antigravity Batteries Product Giveaways - LAST NIGHT TO ENTER! Read more... ×
Sign in to follow this  

Supercross Best SX Season over - Who suprised you?

Wow, that was a great season right down to the last round.

At the begining of the season I was rooting for RV in SX class, Wilson for Lites East and Sipes in the west.

As the season progressed I really started to like Reed, this guy has really grown up now that he is running his own show and has a family. Back when JS and RC were dominating Reed's focus was on whining about wanting to "that guy". Now that he's matured, he is "that guy". Great season Chad!

In the lites, I just have to give the nod to Kid Roczen. He started the season as a 16 yr old and got better with every race. What a year for him, coming over from Germany and riding pro sx in lites and the big class. He is just amazing to watch, he speaks well on the podium as well.

I agree with your assessment on Roczen. Dude started off slow but really improved as the season went on.

Great run by Reed, thought he could of won it all 2-3 weeks ago. If only Stewart and him didn't get tangled up in Atlanta...

Glad RV2 won though, got to root for any Kawasaki rider lol

Since apparently from other threads I'm a Stewart "nut hugger", I'd say his inconsistency this year has been a big let down. Reeds come back performance impresses me, I've never been much of a fan of his but he did impress me this year. Poto not dominating surprised me also.

As for the lites, Roczen was awesome and the racing on both coasts was incredible. Hats off to all of them for putting on such a good show.

At the begining of the season I was rooting for RV in SX class, Wilson for Lites East and Sipes in the west.

I would pick a different west rider if I were you :thumbsup::confused:

Honestly, the biggest surprise in the SX class was just that there were so many in contention for the title, even with all of them having their share of inconsistency and problems.

Wilson is who surprised me the most in lites, I think, and not in a good way... Hopefully he can get his starts together and put together a decent run at the title next year.

Mike Alessi surprised me the most. At about the half way point he suddenly moved up from bottom of the main event line up to top 10. I know he said he really liked something the KTM changed in his bike setup, and I'm guessing that then raised his motivation and so his starts came back.

Stewart surprised me the next most. For two reasons:

1) Because after injuring so many other riders in the past 2 or 3 years, he just doesn't seem to care. I'm not talking about Vegas and KW, that's was just a simple mistake, I'm thinking about half a dozen other guys who he put in hospital.

2) Because he persisted with his no compromise "must push it hard" super stiff fork setup. Why not make a tiny compromise? I know the theory about exploiting strengths, but the major weaknesses (some bumps in turns) cannot be totally ignored.

Lastly, I was pleasantly surprised by how much fun Canard has on his CRF450R. I hope that boy can toughen up his bones and have a long career on his 450.

I was also suprised by Roczen... And I'll say that Short didn't do too bad on a 350.

-Kerry

they all surprised me by keeping it so close right up till the end......they all had bad luck and somehow (except for canard) there was no major injuries to take people out of contention.....pretty amazing considering all of stewart's crashes.....:thumbsup:

they all surprised me by keeping it so close right up till the end......they all had bad luck and somehow (except for canard) there was no major injuries to take people out of contention.....pretty amazing considering all of stewart's crashes.....:thumbsup:

Agree here. Actually I was disappointed Stewart didn't keep it upright more, maybe sacrifice a tick of speed for points. Actually for me the two most surprising were Reed and Canard; both ran much better than i anticipated. With five guys all in the same league and all pushing boundaries, ragged edge riding and some crashes are gong to happen. Just the nature of the sport. Its the one with the coolest head who will win the long haul...I'm not particularly a RV fan but have to give credit as he had the speed and kept things upright. Amazing season. RV was the best this year. Congrats to him. Can;t wait for Out door!

Wow, that was a great season right down to the last round.

In the lites, I just have to give the nod to Kid Roczen. He started the season as a 16 yr old and got better with every race. What a year for him, coming over from Germany and riding pro sx in lites and the big class. He is just amazing to watch, he speaks well on the podium as well.

It is still in the works, but expect to see him for a full season of SX next year. And, don't forget the SX invitational in October. :thumbsup:

No major injuries (barring Trey Canard) is what surprises me the most and one of the "key" to making a exciting season.

The fact if Dungey didn't get a broken chain (seriously what are the top mechanics doing in the pits?) He could of been 2x SX champion. He been on the podium almost every time. Frustration and things must of destroy Dungey's determination/confidence/etc.:/

shit i missed it i totally forgot who won 250 and 450 class?

What a season this year has been in SX. I know the mods are sure glad it's over from all of the firey "debates" everyone has posted in the last 18 weeks. Dont you worry William & Ud, Stewart will probably not race the entire outdoor season (if any) so things should be a little tamer for the rest of the MX year..:confused:

As for 2012 in SX I just hope it can hold a candle to this one and all I have to say is "go Roczen"!!:thumbsup:

Imagine the top five from this season and add Barcia...and the others fast ones graduating from the lites...wow. Future looks good for MX fans!

No major injuries (barring Trey Canard) is what surprises me the most and one of the "key" to making a exciting season.

The fact if Dungey didn't get a broken chain (seriously what are the top mechanics doing in the pits?) He could of been 2x SX champion. He been on the podium almost every time. Frustration and things must of destroy Dungey's determination/confidence/etc.:/

RV2 missed qualifying for a race. Shit happens. RV2 still took the title. :thumbsup::confused:

RV2 missed qualifying for a race. Shit happens. RV2 still took the title.
True. eg. If RV made that main, and Reed wasn't bounced over that berm by Stewart, and if Dungey didn't break his chain, then the final results would very likely be exactly the same.

True. eg. If RV made that main, and Reed wasn't bounced over that berm by Stewart, and if Dungey didn't break his chain, then the final results would very likely be exactly the same.

But.....but......where is the fun in that logic......:thumbsup:

RV2 missed qualifying for a race. Shit happens. RV2 still took the title. :thumbsup::confused:

But still! He had 2 chances to qualify for the main event and Dungey had no chance since his mechanics made a mistake. That's different. To think about it, he would of been very close to winning the championship in the last few rounds by then and would drive him to train harder. There's other things, but the broken chain was... you know. Not supposed to happen. RV had a bad day, but for Dungey, it was a unrealistic disaster and seriously pushed him back with no chances.

Sure Shit happens, but this one wasn't one of them. Think about it. Somebody can give him a chain and he would finish the race. Be 10 plus points ahead over anyone in the championship chase, otherwise he would still have the extra points and confidence to beat the top guys to the end.

I can't wait for the nationals and I'm sure Dungey's mechanics won't make the same mistake twice. Watch him, he'll be out there in front and on the podium. He's still the real deal.

Great season by several but Eli Tomac stands out as one for me, both in his riding and his personality. Great guy with great talent. His ride last night in the West Coast finale was a nail-biter. I'm a fan!

I too have to agree with alot of what's been said. Canard's talent was so noticeably increasing race after race, and the way he can do some scrubs and whips already is awesome. It's like he makes a quick focus on something, sees an opening, then nails the throttle towards it. His pass on KW in his last race was phenomenal. Jumping across lines into a turn, and riding across whoops on his rear wheel.

RV was RV. I think he's a great rider, and love to watch him race. I really like to see him throw the back of his bike around in the turns with all that roost coming from his bike. Glad to see him get his first SX championship, he deserved it!

Dungey was rock solid consistent, and as always, very courteous to other riders. I've seen him show his front wheel to CR two or three times this year for at least three laps at a time. I'm just waiting for him to finally get fed up and explode with aggression and start executing block passes and reel in some more wins. The pressure of that #1 plate really made it tough for him at times. I think riders can really feel what we expect from them, and with the #1 plate on his bike, sometimes we forget that this his only his second SX season, and not to mention the caliber of riders he was facing this season, all with the exception of Canard having more experience than him. #3 in the points, finishing right in between a pair of two time SX champs, is not bad at all when we look at it that way.

Stewart, oh boy Stewart. Just needs to learn to stay on his bike, and unlike Dungey, be a little more considerate of other riders. And that's all I can really say as a I watch all that unused raw talent start to slip away with the passing years.

And I too have a new found respect for Chad Reed. I never cared for him much in the past, but now with his own team he has definitely learned alot, and it shows in his character, and his riding. Even after Stewart ran into the back of him, he said at the post race interview, "that's racing." I remember the time when he said "if that's the way he wants it, then we can play that game too."

I'm gonna miss this season!

Disappointed with Dungey (who I picked to repeat as champ). He was in the points chase but was clearly down on speed and aggression compared to the other top guys. Did not deserve to win the championship IMO. He needs to step it up a notch or two.

I was never a Reed fan but he won me over this year. Dude deserves major props for putting his own team together and finishing in 2nd place. If he had sat out the season it would have really damaged his career future.

Never was a Stewart fan either but damn. He is so consumed by ego and fame that he has completely lost touch with reality. After his disaster of an SX season he needs to run the full outdoor season and get his groove back. Sitting out or running a partial outdoors season is a HUGE mistake for his long-term career. Wouldn't surprise me that 5 years from now he is out of racing and flat broke.

RV winning was no surprise, bummer for Cannards injury, bummer for Windhams bad luck.