Sign in to follow this  

Drz Battery Died On Me Twice - Advice

DRZ battery has now died on me twice just after getting all geared up and ready to go. I am aware that there is a "super start" kit and a "free power" mod available. To be to the point I cannot afford to do these and can't justify the cost even if I could. Question is...if I recharge the battery how long is it likely to last before the bike dies on me again or is it just a case of the bike not recharging the battery properly and I cannot use it for my 2mile journey to work? Hope you guys can give me some good info because sadly I'm getting close to giving up on the drz.

Free Power is well under $10.

Super start is basically the cost of a battery. If you need a battery, the premium cost is very little.

What you really need to do is troubleshoot and determine the basic problem. A running DRZ should never quit because of a battery. Buy/borrow a test meter and follow the troubleshooting guide in FAQ.

If the electrical system is non functional, a good battery should get you 2 miles to/from work as a total loss system. If you are really into crude, a cheap garden tractor battery strapped to the back if the seat should last several days to/from work. The battery charge in a total loss system will last much longer if you do not have to run the lights.

Am I right in saying the free power mod helps gain a better flow of charge back to the battery therefore charging it better/faster? Is the super start kit a necessity or should a 6month old standard drz battery function perfectly well(stock bike no engine mods). Thanks

Are you saying that you started yor bike and I died and then you re started your bike and died again? Within a matter of minutes or hours days???

Cant afford the free power mod??? it wire and thats it....also get a tender, acid batteries slowly lose there charge no matter what you do, without being tended.

Can the free power mod be done by myself or there something about the SSW one that is special? Happened to me 2 weeks ago outside a DIY store, jump started it took it for a long run to attempt to charge the battery. Now a week later started it and let it run for 15mins while doing some check on it. Switched it off to fill it up with petrol got my gear on when I returned to it it died.

Have you checked your voltage to confirm it's the battery? Did yoy really let it idle for 15 minutes?

get a new baatery if its old, go read the faq free power mod, which you haven't read or need to read more thoroughly, its a simple job. read all the faq while your there as all noobs should, good luck.

Got the bike 4 months ago from a friend of my fathers he claimed the battery was new so unless he was lying should the battery really need replaced as the bike has not had heavy use. Definitely ran for 15mins.

drz nor any motorcycle imo should not be idling for that long,without air rushing it, bet that thing got really hot,, not good at all very bad.no no! your risking overheating damage!!! its not a car. Poor noobs, i feel for ya younguns. As far as battery goes, did he have the battery on a tender?, how long did he let it sit? i dont trust anything a Po owner says, while trying to sell something, and it only takes 2 months for anacid battery to drain itself, so, thats why i said get a new battery, you'll know your starting point..

what i sell is just premade. many have commented that they didnt think they could make what i do for $10 which is probably true. however it can be done with out striving for a oem look cheaper.

you need to diagnos what is actually wrong first.

the cheapest thing to do is stop riding your bike until you can fix it. other wise you will likely cause more damage.

drz nor any motorcycle imo should not be idling for that long,without air rushing it, bet that thing got really hot,, not good at all very bad.no no! your risking overheating damage!!! its not a car. Poor noobs, i feel for ya younguns. As far as battery goes, did he have the battery on a tender?, how long did he let it sit? i dont trust anything a Po owner says, while trying to sell something, and it only takes 2 months for anacid battery to drain itself, so, thats why i said get a new battery, you'll know your starting point..

I was under the impression being water cooled and it being a cool day that it wouldn't be an issue, new to the DRZ's but not motorbikes and that point has never been raised to me before as everyone seems to let their bikes idle to warm up and reduce engine wear over here. Reason I asked for advice was that I am lost with the FAQ as I struggle to understand electrics and was hoping someone could enlighten me on whether or not it was as simple as bypassing part of the circuit and fully charging the battery. Didn't mean to be vague. As for a battery tender I don't have a clue what that is /does. Will find myself a sparky to help me out I guess.

A battery tender (that is a brand name but there are many other makes on the market by other names) is not a battery charger but rather a battery cycler. It keeps you battery charged and you leave your bike plugged into it all the time when not riding the bike. It cycles the battery like if you were starting and charging it on a daily basis. Here in the states they cost from $10 to $30 and are a must have for many DRZ owners. The DRZ will kill a battery fairly quickly if not used on a regular basis (daily or kept on a tender (Notice that is way different from a battery charger).

Not new huh.its says 19.i know at 19 i thought i knew stuff,i still don't know now!.water cooled makes no difference, bike should only be warmed up for about 3-4 minutes. A battery tender, keeps a trickle charge on your battery, it plugs into your wall outlet..if you get one make sure it has a float charge on it,Google battery tender.. they are about 35 dollars..Nothing wrong with being new to something, just do your research, and read before jumping into something..free powermod is as simple as it says,,clip red and black wires, rewire and run straight to battery. seal left over wires as to not touch anything. good luck

A DRZ400S or SM with a cooling fan that works will not overheat idling. But still there is no reason to warm up for more than a few minutes. What will overheat (or at least get vey hot to the point that it glows red) is the exhaust header pipe. Also a idling motor (car or motorcycle) does a poor job of charging a battery. Riding 15 min will do more good then idling 15 min.

A 6 month old battery "should" be good. But it all depends on how it was treated in that time.

Free Power is an independent mod. Does not need to be done in conjunction with anything else. Yes, it just does a better job of charging the battery. Yes, it just bypasses some wires.

Follow the advise to troubleshoot. Find someone to help you.

A battery tender is a small battery charger that can be left hooked up to a battery all the time it is parked in the garage to keep the battery fully charged without overcharging. Most useful if the motorcycle is only used occasionally. Not really needed if used daily or weekly.

You ride is just 2 miles? That is too short a ride to fully heat the bike up and recover the power (recahrge the battery) used for your startup. Add to it the engine off power consumption of the oem speedo and I am not surprised your battery is dying.

Instead of the direct way, take the 20 mile road less traveled

Do the free power mod, one way or another

You may have to replace the battery, you may not. They do not like being run down a lot.

william is right .not enough time to charge. also i changed three batteries in three yrs.did super start upgrade now going on third yr. so dont let new stock battery fool ya they are cr@p.get out and put some miles on after you determine the cause.

I know this has happened to a few members in the past. Check te wires that run from the stator. Make sure there in good condition. Second follow the wires up to the connectors on the frame to make sure it is indeed connected and or not broken.