Why doesn't the DRZ have a 6th gear?

6 would be better for cruising, especially since in the UK most common limits are 30mph and 3rd is a bit revvy for that and 4th is a bit low... that said 1st gear would probably not last too long. Don't some MX bikes have 4 gears anyway? Not too sure on the whole thing.

• 2 weeks later...

It was normal to me after 26 years of riding XRs, first mod was allways sprockets...as tall as I could live with off road has been the norm. Then get the power up to pull the new gearing, the E wasn't bad just a MRD and snorkle/rejet.

It was normal to me after 26 years of riding XRs, first mod was allways sprockets...as tall as I could live with off road has been the norm. Then get the power up to pull the new gearing, the E wasn't bad just a MRD and snorkle/rejet.

I just mean isn't the DRZ the replacement for the DR350? If so, then why the drop from 6 to 5 speed? Did Suzuki perhaps have a reason for that? Does it not make that much difference because the DRZ is more powerful or better in some other way? It just seems odd to me.

The 2004 and earlier Mustang GT came with a 5-speed, but all 2005 and newer Mustang GT's come with a 6-speed. In fact, I highly doubt you will ever see it go back to coming with a 5-speed ever again. Know what I mean? Am I missing something here?

I just mean isn't the DRZ the replacement for the DR350? If so, then why the drop from 6 to 5 speed? Did Suzuki perhaps have a reason for that? Does it not make that much difference because the DRZ is more powerful or better in some other way? It just seems odd to me.

The 2004 and earlier Mustang GT came with a 5-speed, but all 2005 and newer Mustang GT's come with a 6-speed. In fact, I highly doubt you will ever see it go back to coming with a 5-speed ever again. Know what I mean? Am I missing something here?

DR is not a comparable bike to the DRZ.. It has a 5 speed, because thats what the designers thought it needed.. If someone wants to give up the advantages of lighter weight, more power and Tq, better suspension, better brakes so they can shit one more time to go slower, on a poorly suspended bike,,, thats a choice.

And no, the S197 does not have a 6spd transmission. GT500, yes, Mustang GT, no.

It's just stupid, the DRZ with a 5-speed. If you want to think of some justification, its going to be lame. They say they developed the motor for the drz knowing it was going to be a dual sport. Another 100 bucks in cost and we could have had another gear. It wouldn't weigh any more. They could have saved weight by using a four speed, but not a 5.

It's just stupid, the DRZ with a 5-speed. If you want to think of some justification, its going to be lame. They say they developed the motor for the drz knowing it was going to be a dual sport. Another 100 bucks in cost and we could have had another gear. It wouldn't weigh any more. They could have saved weight by using a four speed, but not a 5.

Hey watch what you say....or the next DRZ will be a 4 speed.?

Just adding a 6th gear wont do it.

This transmission is a narrow ratio 5 speed, at the same ratio, adding a 6th wont make muich difference.

the whole spread of the 5 gears needs to be changed, and if adding a 6th, all the gear ratios would need to be changed to make it effective.

DR is not a comparable bike to the DRZ.. It has a 5 speed, because thats what the designers thought it needed.. If someone wants to give up the advantages of lighter weight, more power and Tq, better suspension, better brakes so they can shit one more time to go slower, on a poorly suspended bike,,, thats a choice.

But isn't a DR350 that's been bored out to 400 still lighter than the DRZ even with the 6th gear?

And no, the S197 does not have a 6spd transmission. GT500, yes, Mustang GT, no.
Like the updated V6 Mustang, the Mustang GT also gets new transmissions for 2011. Both transmissions are heavier duty versions of the same designs offered with the V6 Mustang; a Getrag/Ford MT82 6-speed manual transmission and Ford's 6R80 6-speed automatic transmission. The 6-speed manual transmission comes with a 3.31:1 rear axle while 6-speed automatics get a taller 3.15:1 rear axle. Combined with its new, more efficient V8, the new 6-speed transmissions contribute to an improvement in fuel economy in the 2011 Mustang GT over its counterpart from the 2010 model year.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ford_Mustang_(fifth_generation)

But isn't a DR350 that's been bored out to 400 still lighter than the DRZ even with the 6th gear?

Again, motor, suspension, brakes,,, have a look.. the two bikes are not comparable.. Nor is a Big Bore DRZ to a plated CRF450

The 2004 and earlier Mustang GT came with a 5-speed, but all 2005 and newer Mustang GT's come with a 6-speed.

?? same answer,,, no they don,t. 2010 and later, ok, sure...2005 and on.. no

• 2 months later...

I searched and searched but couldnt find anything. Has anyone heard of anyone looking into making the reverse in a Z400 into a 6th gear instead? Isnt the space there since they come with reverse? I have never opened up a bike transmission thought I have no idea what I am talking about....

If someone could figure this out they would be a hero!

I searched and searched but couldnt find anything. Has anyone heard of anyone looking into making the reverse in a Z400 into a 6th gear instead? Isnt the space there since they come with reverse? I have never opened up a bike transmission thought I have no idea what I am talking about....

If someone could figure this out they would be a hero!

I think you should start a new topic. I just spent 10 minutes reading through this thread thinking of responses. Then, I see your post and realize that the discussion I was thinking of responding to is 3 months old, and your question has little in common with that 3 month old discussion. You want to start a discussion about converting the Z400 quad's reverse into a sixth gear rather than continuing the previous conversation about why the designers didn't put a sixth gear on the DRZ in the first place. Hence, create a new topic/thread.