What's the story with the DRZ's evap system?

The guy I bought the bike from said it had a problem that the Suzuki dealer wasn't able to fix and that the bike would occasionally just die on him so he just pulled the evap hose and left it like that and it seems to run fine.

Is it really ok to just leave it like that? Also does that affects its street legality here in California? What about gas mileage and fuel/air mixture?

Something tells me it should at least be plugged, no?

I've also Googled it and noticed some folks actually remove the whole system completely. Please advise.

Thanks.

8f2gk.jpg

no it should not be plugged that line emits gas fumes..in cali its required by emmision laws, it just recirculates exhaust fumes back to the carb does not effect air fuel mixture, you can remove it, but you'll risk amemission ticket, it doesnt hurt anything,,it causes the bike to die only if the tank is overfilled and fuel gets into the exhaust line, not ussually a problem on an sm,po was lost ,, unless your doing lots of wheelies i guess, this is coverd in the faq under common threads, canister removal, huuuh

You can get an adapter from pepboys,extend the hose coming from the tank & route it under the bike.

Here's a pic of mine to give you an idea of what i'm talking about...I removed my whole evap system

IMG_0073-1.jpg

no it should not be plugged.... i guess, this is coverd in the faq... huuuh

That FAQ recommends "plugging the nipple on the carb"

I just left about an inch and a half of the hose/tubing on the nipple, then plugged that with an oversized flat screw and cinched it with a zip-tie.

oooh,, the one your holding comes from the fuel tank,,the nipple on the carb is on the other side of the carb on the bottom, read faq again..on the bottom of the carb on the right side is a line feeding into the carb, thats what gets plugged,, just cut it at about 2 inches and insert a screw or something,

BTW, my tank has a key lock metal gas cap, but I noticed the over-sized Clarke tank I ordered yesterday as well as many others seem to just have a rubber tube coming from the top of the plastic gas cap and running somewhere that looks like it just directs to the ground. Is that somehow involved with all this evap stuff as well and will be something I need to address when putting in the new Clarke tank?

save yourself the headache, remove it

the PO most likely over filled or dumped the bike causeing tank vent blockage

leading to a no fuel flow situation.

link from faq to remove

https://www.thumpertalk.com/forum/showthread.php?t=382414

most cali DRZ'rs have ran into this.

was second thing to get removed after kick stand switch

There are no legal issues I can run into from removing it?

This may be a dumb question but don't bikes have to get inspected in CA the same as cars? If I hollowed out the cats on my Mustang it would surely fail.

No Smog check as of now on motorcyles.... but paperwork is being shufled around

Sacramento. will it happen, who knows, we got bigger problems to deal with.

removed mine 8 years ago, but still have parts stored in a box on shelf.

if its not causing you any problems then just leave it...its not hurting the performance..thats my take..

What about the part that is supposed to be plugged?

Is that unplugged right now and possibly affecting performance?

no its not affecting performance!!!!your really confused,,,vapors from the fuel tank travel through the tube in your hand back to the canister, then go from the canister through another tube that is connected to the carb at the bottom right, in the carb these vapors are then burned like regular air. There should be a picture on the frame of your bike of the routing of this system, unless the po removed it. Stop worrying about the word nipples,or plugging things.. your fixated on it,,,its not hurting anything..do some searching if you don't want to believe me. plenty of threads on it, just cuz some people remove it, doesnt mean your going to have to also, did you even look at the bottom of the carb to find this other tube, its very easy to see, its on the bottom right,,you've got yourseld all worried over this, remove it it bothers you.

Remove it. It can and eventually will cause a problem. It won't hurt the bike but you'll get frustrated with it.

The nipple on the carb where the tube was connecting to NEEDs to be plugged. It's the vacuum and with it unplugged it will run but not well. The tube that runs from underneath the back of gas tank just needs to be re routed under the bike to vent. Everything else just toss in a bucket.

And no. It's VERY unlikely that your bike will ever get smogged or inspected. Your 100x more likely to get a ticket for your plate being in the wrong spot then SMOG.

This simple mod is very worth it. It shouldn't take more then ten minutes.

so when you say the right side of the carb are you talking about the tube coming out of the bottom of the engine side of the carb? Mine is not plugged and I am having issues with my bike returning to idle.

I have been fighting this for 2 weeks grr

?

so when you say the right side of the carb are you talking about the tube coming out of the bottom of the engine side of the carb? Mine is not plugged and I am having issues with my bike returning to idle.

I have been fighting this for 2 weeks grr

?

do you have a cali bike and did you remove the canister? what does engine sid eof carb mean,,theres top or bottom..its on the bottom of the carb right side , its only on cali bikes that have the canister