Air filter suggestions

Cleaning up the bike from a recent trip to Moab, and going over it with a fine-tooth comb. I bought it sight-unseen the day before leaving on our big trip, so I didn't have time for maintenance.

I've got the sub-frame removed for easier access, and I noticed that the air filter has a small tear in it. Not sure if I did that when removing it, or not, but it needs replaced. What brand is your recommendation? Also, is there supposed to be a screen inside the airbox? All I saw was the filter and cage. Thanks

I run the twinair power flow filter, it has the backfire filter on it so no need for the screen.

Unifilter

The filter cage should have a screen built into it. This screen prevents the air filter from catching fire if the engine backfires, or if u dump the bike and get all kinds of gas/oil and other junk pouring backwards into the airbox.

If you DO NOT have this screen then you need to get an air filter that is flame proof/backfire proof. If your cage has this screen, then you can run almost any filter. Just dont cheap out, buy a good foam twinair or even a no-toil, clean it every ride and oil it thouroughly. There are lots of threads related to filter selection. Read up and choose one you feel is best.

OEM filters are best.

The filter cage should have a screen built into it. This screen prevents the air filter from catching fire if the engine backfires, or if u dump the bike and get all kinds of gas/oil and other junk pouring backwards into the airbox.

If you DO NOT have this screen then you need to get an air filter that is flame proof/backfire proof. If your cage has this screen, then you can run almost any filter. Just dont cheap out, buy a good foam twinair or even a no-toil, clean it every ride and oil it thouroughly. There are lots of threads related to filter selection. Read up and choose one you feel is best.

X2 :thumbsup:

When you go on a trip like that to Moab, you should have at least 4 air filters with you. I like the biodegradable oil and cleaning system of No Toil filters for ease of cleaning. But Twin Airs work great too.

OEM filters are best.

im with ya on this one. tried twinair,uni, notoil etc, oem filters are a higher quality than any of the aftermarket ones ive tried.

pretty sure you ought to have a screen, so if there is not, then get one that will handle a backfire. I have a KLR 650 and have several UNIs, for me they keep dirt on the outside of filter, the stock one would show dirt inside if left too long or really dusted.....

Whatever kind you use, don't be a retard and go on a trip with just the filter on the bike. Have 4 cleaned and oiled filters in seperate bags with you on the trip. If you are going to be riding more than 4 times, you'll need buckets, cleaner and oil. but remember that you will have to wait a day for the filter to be completely dry before re-oiling.

OK, question here.

I just went to replace the Filter on my newest 04 450 and the moron PO removed the Back Fire Screen. What are my options? I cant seem to find the element listed on the parts fiche on the service Honda site unless its item 26.

Joe

It's item 26, part number 17214-MEN-670. Runs $23.99 at pro caliber.

OK, question here.

I just went to replace the Filter on my newest 04 450 and the moron PO removed the Back Fire Screen. What are my options? I cant seem to find the element listed on the parts fiche on the service Honda site unless its item 26.

Joe

No Toil makes two models of filters; one that fits over the factory backfire screen and another that comes with a plastic frame. No screen required because the foam is fire resistant and the biodegradable oil used on the filter has a much higher flashpoint than petroleum filter oils. Without the restriction of the screen, you have more air flow.

Thanks for the tip. The issue I have is I believe that Maxima FFT is the best filter oil and I think its probably best to use a Screen and give up the .1 HP I am not capable of using anyway, lol!

Joe

Just a tip. I use my wifes blow dryer to dry my air filter after cleaning it. Dries it in under 5 minutes. No need to wait overnight.

Just a tip. I use my wifes blow dryer to dry my air filter after cleaning it. Dries it in under 5 minutes. No need to wait overnight.

That still leaves water in the filter.

Im sure mine never gets completely dry before I re-oil... no issues here. Just let it sit overnight or if I'm in hurry it only gets a few hours :dunno:

Twin Air. I had two brand new OEM filters come apart. The little foam strip comes unglued. No problems with twin air.

I did that one time when I was about 12 years old and had a flash explosion in my parents bathroom. I guess the solvent fumes where building up and I created a 2' fireball right in front of me. Looked pretty cool in the mirror but I just set them in the sun after that!

Joe

OK, question here.

Joe

Why is he a moron PO, I have not used a backfire screen since 2003 and have never had a problem. I have a buddy thas has a 2006 yzf450 and took his screen out in 06 and runs the twinair filters w/o backfire prevention and hasn't had one problem. I suggest using the one that is made for no screen.

I guess what I'm trying to say is you just called everyone that takes out the screen a moron, use the right filter and no worries.