Sign in to follow this  

Just installed MCCT - Wierd Noise?

So I just finished installing my MCCT. I'm generally not that great with engines so I didn't pop the top and check for the combustion stroke instead I just what many people recommended and pushed it backwards in 5th gear till it stopped.

Anyway I installed it and COULD NOT hear the pinging noise going away. Finally after about 10 minutes of toying with it I realized the pinging would get louder at one point and then once I turned it past a certain point it'd be a little lower.

So I figured the bike was all good, but while riding it I can clearly hear the pinging noise still (the one which seems normal by most youtube videos etc) however it's much louder than I remember it. I didn't wanna tighten the MCCT too much out of fear of pushing on the chain too hard but it seemed like that noise wasn't going away.

Do you guys think I should tighten it more or am I just being paranoid and listening for this noise a lot more now?

I just happened to find this video: It sounds a lot like this ticking noise

Here's an Image of my MCCT:

p5080080z.jpg

Hopefully I didn't leave it too loose.

Thanks!

your being paranoid,,with the mcct it should not be completely quiet, re do it with bike running if you back it out until you hear a distict rattle, then in until rattle starts to go away, then stop. If you go in further it will get even quieter, do not do this, its too far. Just to where the original loud rattle goes away. mine actually makes noise when i start it cold, and as it warms the engine expands a little and it goes away..

How many miles was on your bike when you replaced it? Did you happen to notice if your ACCT was maxed out when you removed it?

How many miles was on your bike when you replaced it? Did you happen to notice if your ACCT was maxed out when you removed it?

ACCT was not maxed out. It was about half way when I removed it. Also, only 4100 miles on the bike.

Hopefully I'm just being paranoid. Thanks for the responses.

ACCT was not maxed out. It was about half way when I removed it. Also, only 4100 miles on the bike.

Hopefully I'm just being paranoid. Thanks for the responses.

you needed to replace the timing chain not the tensioner.

try it like i said,,4100 miles isnt very many on a chain,, but you never know i guess

you needed to replace the timing chain not the tensioner.

Why do you think I need to replace the timing chain? Although it's making an annoying rattle still it seems to have quite a bit of tension on the MCCT when I attempt to tighten it where it currently is and it's roughly sitting where the ACCT was.

Should I have expected all noises to go away when I placed the MCCT on?

I'd rather not replace my timing chain!:thumbsup:

i think he scared you now,, i doubt you need to replace your chain at 4100,,poeple throwin out all kinds of scary advice, scaring newbies,,just try redoing it, the way i explained, in post number 2, a little noise is ok. don't get yourself all worked up over this..its really not that hard to set right..

I'd agree, 4100 is low for a chain replacement, but you never know.

If the noise wasn't their with the ACCT, then i'd either suggest putting it back on, or going with what DVIRGIL suggested. If your bike is newer, which it sounds like it, then I wouldn't suggest an MCCT in the first place as the latest ACCT works fine and no one has been able to prove otherwise.

Edited by kcasner

i replace maxed out cam chain (result of the ACCT) in sub 5,000 mile drz regularly.

this isnt guessing. i build multiple drz motors per day. yes per day.

drinkbleach

readjust the MCCT as per the method listed here in the faq sub forum. as you ride over next 1000 miles listen for changes in the sound of the motor.

if you find you are having to adjust the MCCT constantly,your cam chain is worn out.

a cam chain in good health will not require any adjustment.

dont overthink the procedure.

I'd agree, 4100 is low for a chain replacement, but you never know.

If the noise wasn't their with the ACCT, then i'd either suggest putting it back on, or going with what DVIRGIL suggested. If your bike is newer, which it sounds like it, then I wouldn't suggest an MCCT in the first place as the latest ACCT works fine and no one has been able to prove otherwise.

My best mates 08 drz cam chain was cactus at 3000 kilometres. The cause: acct putting too much pressure on. It was maxed out. He switched to a mcct and has done another 10,000 k's trouble free. It's not an expenSive part compared to a chain replacement. Cheap insurance I say.

drinkbleach

readjust the MCCT as per the method listed here in the faq sub forum. as you ride over next 1000 miles listen for changes in the sound of the motor.

if you find you are having to adjust the MCCT constantly,your cam chain is worn out.

a cam chain in good health will not require any adjustment.

dont overthink the procedure.

Sounds good Eddie. I redid it and it seems okay but still a bit louder than I remember. As you said, I'll just ride it out of the next thousand or so miles. If I bring the MCCT in so it's only out about 3/4 an inch I think it'll be much quieter but I'm afraid tightening it any more than it is now will overly stretch or snap my chain.

Also, I read somewhere that the loud pinging noise all drz motors have is caused by the the auto decompression. Will hotcams without auto decomp fix this?

i replace maxed out cam chain (result of the ACCT) in sub 5,000 mile drz regularly.

this isnt guessing. i build multiple drz motors per day. yes per day.

haha, I asked you for that exact data and it was ignored, as you all got a kick watching me get flamed for asking... and now you share it. :confused:

Oh well, good to know. :thumbsup:

its been covered hundreds of times.

with my post approaching 65,000 dont you think i might just be slighty tired of repeating my self?

here is a tip. if you think you have some new info or angle on anything drz related,spend a evening searching first.

i search the drz forum all the time.

Sounds good Eddie. I redid it and it seems okay but still a bit louder than I remember. As you said, I'll just ride it out of the next thousand or so miles. If I bring the MCCT in so it's only out about 3/4 an inch I think it'll be much quieter but I'm afraid tightening it any more than it is now will overly stretch or snap my chain.

Also, I read somewhere that the loud pinging noise all drz motors have is caused by the the auto decompression. Will hotcams without auto decomp fix this?

Have faith in the instructions. You will be fine.

Here is a tip. When I go to set mine up...I have a very loud exhaust and it is difficult for me to hear when the chain is loose. However...turn the adjuster bolt of the MCCT with your hand...not a wrench...and you will feel the chain giving feed back against the adjuster bolt. Turn it in just till it gets smooth and the vibe is gone. Then lock it down.

If your concerned the damage is already done to your chain...loosen the lock bolt from time to time and see if it is neccesary to go in further to achieve the correct setting. If it does...your chain is worn and warranting replacment. If it always stays the same...then set it...and forget it. Once properly set with a healthy chain...it should remain set for the reasonable life expectancy of your motor.