Countershaft Seal

So I did my first bottom end rebuild on my YZ250 and everything went great (new crank, crank bearings, and crank seals). Since I had it apart I put in a new piston as well since I had 21 hours on my previous piston. The bike fired up on the second kick, and saw no leaks between the cases, etc.

I rode it up and down my street a few times to check that everything worked smoothly. When I got back I looked for leaks again and saw oil pouring out of the countershaft seal. I had replaced this seal as good measure, so obviously I did not install it correctly. I applied grease around the outside of the seal and pressed it in with my fingers and used a socket to lightly tap around its perimeter to seat the seal into the case.

Do I need to press the seal in further? It is flush with the outer case and that's how the old one was, but do I really need to pound this new one in? Any suggestions? Or do I just go ahead and buy a new seal?

Put another one in, dry this time, and check to see if your transmission vent is kinked or clogged. Generally, flush is correct. I never lube them up, I want them to grip the case. The sealing lips get moly grease.