Is transfering rims easy ?

$400 is pretty steep. You can do it yourself, and it's not hard, but it is tedious and time consuming. Do a search and you'll find some good instructions on lacing up wheels. I did a set myself a while back and it took me a pretty good amount of time.

$400 is pretty steep. You can do it yourself, and it's not hard, but it is tedious and time consuming. Do a search and you'll find some good instructions on lacing up wheels. I did a set myself a while back and it took me a pretty good amount of time.
so it was not to hard? i was thinking of doing a set for my xrl, but to true them is what m worried about the most. lacing them will be a pain in the butt im sure, but to true them without a fixture/jig, im not sure how one would do it?

ok you will need your bike and some big zippties. first lace the wheel and tension it. then put it on the bike (if its a back leave the chain off) put the zipties around the forks so the long end is toward the wheel. then cut it so it is close to but not quite touching the wheel. then spin the wheel and were ever the gap between the ziptie gets bigger or smaller you adjust the spokes accordingly.

id lace the wheels your self and bring them to the shop to be trued .. reason being is they will use a truing stand with a dial indicator and will be a better build at the end ... the key to this is getting it as true as you can the first time

id lace the wheels your self and bring them to the shop to be trued .. reason being is they will use a truing stand with a dial indicator and will be a better build at the end ... the key to this is getting it as true as you can the first time
thats what i was thinking:thumbsup:

another good tip is to zip tie all the spokes together where they cross before you unlace the wheel so they all stay in place. Makes it easier.

Here's a quick overview of how I did it:

1. remove all nipples and old rim

2. install new rim and thread all nipples a couple of turns only

3. Number all the spokes with a sharpie on the inside of the rim to keep track

4. tighten every 3rd nipple 1/2 turn until they are all tight (some will tighten up before others and that's ok)

For any spot that isn't true you will need to loosen a few spokes near the area that are pointing opposite the direction you want the rim to go and tighten a few spokes in the area that are pointing the opposite way. This will in effect pull the rim in line. This will take a little time to get it perfect.

Good luck

It's not hard, but if you're not patient you'll end up doing it again.

Take your time, tighten the spokes little by little and make sure it's even as you torque them.

Did it on my 525 about a year and a half ago after a crash. Saved a lot of $ doing it myself, but also spent about every evening through a week working on 'em.

thats what i was thinking:thumbsup:

+1...If you have the wheels mounted, sprocket/brake discs on, etc. they won't charge you very much to true them...

Im a bicycle mechanic ( mostly bmx) i build and true wheels every day how ever i still bring my dirtbike wheels to the shop .... your eye will never be as good as an indicator also help when the shop will do it for free like mine !

Lacing and truing can be very difficult if you do not know what you are doing and you must be very observant. Did that $400 shop price include all new spokes & nipples? My guess is it did.......otherwise look for another local shop.

Old wheels are a huge pain to do when there are frozen and stripped/rounded spoke nipples. My last set I spent over 6 hours "saving" the spokes........next time I will just cut and replace them with HD over sized Buchanan SS spokes.

I need to do my new to me YZF.....it has some frozen/loose spokes.

013.jpg