Hare Scramble = Crazy?

I have a 2009 xt250 w/no mods, yet. I got the bike to commute and explore/fish. Well, I have found that I am REALLY getting back into riding offroad. I know that the bike that I have is limited and am looking to get a strickly dirt machine(KDX220, maybe.) Don't get me wrong, I AM keeping the XT. I have taken it offroad and riden it to its full potential I am fairly sure. It IS quite capable, regardless of what some say.

Anyway..... I am thinking about entering into a Hare Scramble. Amatuer, of course. I think that the bike can make it, not sure about me, though. I overheard some folks talking about "Race what you brung, and have some fun." I have seen the DR machines with all the street stuff race them and a bunch of older bikes. Surely, the XT would be somewhat competetive in that company.

Any thoughts/advice?

Thanks

Enter the race and have fun. I guarantee the crowd will go nuts and cheer you and that bike on to the finish. And if you do finish there will be many riders wondering why they quit or didn't have the fortitude to make the bike last to the checkers.

I have a friend who races an XT 350 once in a blue moon, and spectators go crazy seeing the heavy beast chug through.

All the magazine tests, bike specs and egos disappear once the flag drops.

If you truly have the desire to race.......your bike will be just fine. If you are a good rider you will be ahead of many out there. A true hare scramble race is not like a trail ride though it is a serious test of endurance and rider skill, just be sure that you're ready physically and mentally. I started doing a few hare scrambles about five years ago on a vintage 84 xr500. The first one I couldn't finish......just had no idea what I was getting into. The old xr finished every one after that and ahead of many new machines. I always got a kick out of the crowd reactions, they loved seeing the old xr kicking butt. You'll have a blast......as long as you don't expect to win on the xt you'll be fine.

do yourself a favor and remove the $500 worth of lights. Two hours of nonstop off road riding makes you tired,weak,and thirsty. you will drop the bike and bang stuff up but it will be fun

You go guy!! I'm rootin for you. Wish I had the time aand balls to do the same.

Dang! Thanks for the cheers and such. I think that I am going to try to do a Fall race when the weather is a little cooler and try to pick a track/race that is not labeled "Fast." I am pretty sure I'm not going to win but I don't want to be drag racing with the other 250's. Don't mind loosing but don't want go get out right dusted. Also a Fall race will give me time to get in better shape and to practice up(sure would like to atleast be able to finish). I am fortunate to have a good place to practice right here around home. Not real sure what to expect, but I sure do appreciate the support. I am going in a week or so check a race out in Cowpens, SC. I have only been watching vids and such to check it out. Anyone else near that would like to meet up?

Thanks, again!!

Zeb

I have an unproven theory that those of us on old XRs, XTs, KDXs, KLRs, ITs, PEs and such, have way more fun than the guys on the new 250 2 strokes and 450-4s.

Beak's over, if You'll excuse me, I'm going back out and have some fun!

I second the motion to remove any lights that could easily get ripped off. Make sure you had a good set of handguards too. In Virginia wrap around handguards are a must. I can't imagine Carolina being much different.

I have an unproven theory that those of us on old XRs, XTs, KDXs, KLRs, ITs, PEs and such, have way more fun than the guys on the new 250 2 strokes and 450-4s.

Yes, definitely an unproven theory at best!

I have a 2009 xt250 w/no mods, yet. I got the bike to commute and explore/fish. Well, I have found that I am REALLY getting back into riding offroad. I know that the bike that I have is limited and am looking to get a strickly dirt machine(KDX220, maybe.) Don't get me wrong, I AM keeping the XT. I have taken it offroad and riden it to its full potential I am fairly sure. It IS quite capable, regardless of what some say.

Anyway..... I am thinking about entering into a Hare Scramble. Amatuer, of course. I think that the bike can make it, not sure about me, though. I overheard some folks talking about "Race what you brung, and have some fun." I have seen the DR machines with all the street stuff race them and a bunch of older bikes. Surely, the XT would be somewhat competetive in that company.

Any thoughts/advice?

Thanks

Go out and have fun! No one cares what bike you run. It's all about finishing

the race and having fun along the way!

I raced Ohio hare scrambles for years, and the races are 75% rider and 25% bike. A lightweight bike built for racing does make it a lot more fun, however.

I did a HS on my wifes TTR225 at the last minute because my YZ has some issues the day of the race. Sure I lost BIG time but the crowd was great and the look on some of the bigger race bikes riders faces as I passed them:p was priceless. Go for it!:smirk:

Thanks for the encouragement! I'll post how it goes:)