CR85 Big end bearing play tolerances...

Hi just picked up a 2005 CR85 and am going through the bike and wanted to check the tolerance play of the big end bearing of the crank arm.

Does anybody know how and what to look for??

Thanks in advance.

Do you mean the bearing on the right side of the case? The only way I would know how to do that without taking it apart would be to take the jug off and see if the rod pulls up and to the right.

I'm talking about the con rod play. It does have some side to side play but the up and down play is hard too measure by hand. I heard a dial indicator will do the job for the up and down(if it has any play at all) and feeler gauges for the side to side.

Does anyone know what the spec play of the con rod for the CR85?

up and down play is bad. there should not be any.

as for side to side i have no idea off of the top of my head but i think it should only be maybe .003''

Thanks i'll check it out.

up and down play is bad. there should not be any.

as for side to side i have no idea off of the top of my head but i think it should only be maybe .003''

I think it can be slightly more then that because I just bought a new one and it has a lot more play then that, I did not measure. make sure your crank is aligned right as well or else it will start to warp, making it move from side to side more.

If your bottom end bearing on the connecting rod has ANY up and down play, your crankshaft is on a very short lifespan. It should only have a small amount of side to side play but any up and down means kaboom in the near future if you try to run it.

K just got a hold of a Honda service tech and he read from the service manual that the play should be between .006" to .022"! (Wow pretty big). Now I was able to put a .019" feeler gauge in between the gap when pushed to one side. He also mentioned anything over .030" is too much and is time to replace.

And I found no radial (up and down) movement.

So I guess all is well down below!

Thanks everyone for your input.