Sign in to follow this  

Elsinore restoration project!!!

So I bought this 1980 Honda cr 80 Elsinore engine for 35$ and it supposedly ran. He threw in an old rusted 1980 frame. With all plastics and stuff minus back fender and a couple odds and ends. So I painted everything. Took the frame into a bodyshop, painted it all. Painted pegs, kickstart, brake lever, and pretty much everything minus the engine. I took an ignition coil from a 1987 cr 80 and hooked it up. Put the reeds and carb on. Fired it up without the exhaust or airbox. It runs!! So now all I'm lookin for is an airbox assembly and an exhaust. I only need a header. Any ideA where i could find a whole airbox-mudgaurd assembly? I have a filter.. Also any easy-sure-fire way to get the rust out of the gas tank? I will post pictures as soon as I figure out how too. CAme to my surprise that this bike feels alot bigger than my 1987 cr! Thanks and one more thing, if I used a carb from a 1987 cr80 that I mixed 32:1 and put it on this engine, will I need to rejet or anything? Or can I mix 32:1 on this air cooled elsinore? Thanks so much! Which site is best to get a pic URL?

Photo Bucket works well, Sounds like you have a good thing there. $35 Good deal look forward to pics...

Another vote for photbucket, you can even upload from your phone. Look forward to seeing pics. Sounds like a nice project.

ok i got the pics uploaded on photbucket. do i paste the img code in the box or what? sorry not into the computer stuff!! BTW, hooked up the brakes today. DOES ANYONE KNOW IF I CAN MIX THIS AIR COOLED CR 80 AT 32:1 AND IT NOT BURN THE PISTON IN HALF?! oh, i bought some honda 10w 40 for the tranny and i dont know how much oil needs to go in it. could it be 550 ccm or i think 1.27 pints? can you tell me how much in ounces? thanks alot and as soon as someone tells me how to post pics, theyll be up!!

Open the photobucket page in a separate tab or window of your browser. Then, in the edit window here, click on the yellow square with what looks like a mountain and a sun, and cut and paste the link from the "Direct link" box on the Photobucket page, then click OK. Then click Preview Message to make sure it shows. If you don't see a Preview Message button, you may have to click Go Advanced...

Will it be alright to run this engine at 32:1? I started it up today for about 45 sec at tops and it seems to idle and run fine. No air boot and only a rigged up fatty, I took the head off to look at the piston and it has no head gasket!? Does it make sensethat it runs good but has no head gasket?! Should I leave it? Or what! Should be done this weekend and I'll have all picks posted this week with project done or not! Sorry but I'm real busy with school and the bike and my job. Life in the fast lane.

Btw I'm runnin klutz super texhniplate and it's 20 percent castor and the rest synthetic. And a br8es NGK plug. I also put a new clutch and new rings in. Stay tuned for Sunday when all pics will be posted. Maybe even sooner if someone will answer my questions and give me advice!!!! Haha

Btw I'm runnin klutz super texhniplate and it's 20 percent castor and the rest synthetic. And a br8es NGK plug. I also put a new clutch and new rings in. Stay tuned for Sunday when all pics will be posted. Maybe even sooner if someone will answer my questions and give me advice!!!! Haha

Since you're confused just post links and i'll do it for you :thumbsup: