Sign in to follow this  

525 knocking after rebuild

Here's one for ya. I just replaced the stock piston for a wiseco 12.5 high compression piston. After firing it up for the first time, everything sounds good and responds well except for a loud knocking noise coming from the engine. I can't tell exactly where it comes from but it's pretty loud. At first I was worried that the piston was knocking against the valves but I'm positive that the timing is correct. My theorys are that it could be pre-firing due to the high compression ( I used premium gas 91) or possibly I didn't set the valves right. With a 12.5 compression, do I need to run race gas or octane boost? If I did set the timing wrong or slightly off I'm sure it would make a lot more noise than this. Just want to know what to check first before I start tearing it apart again.

I don't know, but did you make sure you have the right head gasket? Id could be piston hitting the gasket if you used a smaller hole 450 gasket.

I don't know, but did you make sure you have the right head gasket? Id could be piston hitting the gasket if you used a smaller hole 450 gasket.

Omg gravelfreak, I think you might be right. When I got home from work I checked the kit that I bought and it has a few different sized head gaskets. It sucks that I have to take it all apart again to check but it has to be done right. I don't know why I didn't check this first:banghead: Thanks man, I'll let you know if you were right, hopefully there is no damage.

Thanks my wise friend, you were right. Opened it up and sure enough the gasket is slightly smaller than the one I pulled out. I don't know why when I ordered the kit they would send me 3 different sizes, considering the one I just bought now was almost $50 bucks!!! Thanks again, I'm truely greatful:worthy: P.S. no damage except my ego

Haha, good to hear! But don't thank me, because I have not (yet) made that mistake myself, but the others who have done and told about it so we all would remember :thumbsup: