Sign in to follow this  

When should I start racing?

I just got my first dirt bike. It is a 2003 yz85. I have ridden it a couple times and i feel really good. I have ridden before but never had my own bike. I want to know when it could be possible to start racing? I'm also in florida and will probably ride at thundercross.

The best time to start racing is when you are about 5 years old. The next best time to start racing is this weekend. :thumbsup: Just find the appropriate class for yourself and go out there and have some fun. There is no magic to when you start.

PS - if you really only just got a bike and ridden it a few times it might be best for you to show up for a clinic or two. Go watch a race and see where you might fit in. Good luck.

thanks for the info. I think that i will ride a few more times before i get on the track for the first time. I think i will race like 85 beginner i guess.

I would say race this weekend.lol And if your place has an Intro. Beg. 85/150f class, do it, way easier for your first time. And from personal experience, PRACTICE YOUR STARTS ALOT!!! And just have fun. Also, I would watch the races before you for line selection.

My son raced 85 beginner last year on a YZ85, and he was like you--a true beginner. He had never been on a track before his first race. Starting out the season, he was easily the slowest bike on the track, and would have probably gotten beat by most of the 50's also. I was embarrassed for him, but he was having fun. By the end of the year he was competing in mid-pack.

The biggest issue we faced when he started was his fear when he had to practice with all the 85 and superminis. They were flying around him like he was standing still, and it was intimidating. He kept wanting to pull off the track when they came around. It took some time, but he finally got comfortable and now can run on the track with anybody, even though the fast kids still get by him.

My son raced 85 beginner last year on a YZ85, and he was like you--a true beginner. He had never been on a track before his first race. Starting out the season, he was easily the slowest bike on the track, and would have probably gotten beat by most of the 50's also. I was embarrassed for him, but he was having fun. By the end of the year he was competing in mid-pack.

The biggest issue we faced when he started was his fear when he had to practice with all the 85 and superminis. They were flying around him like he was standing still, and it was intimidating. He kept wanting to pull off the track when they came around. It took some time, but he finally got comfortable and now can run on the track with anybody, even though the fast kids still get by him.

^^^Excellent post :thumbsup: The point is to have fun. My daughter started racing when she was 10 only because she was hanging out at the tracks all day anyways because her older brother races. She started to meet the other kids that hung out and raced so she decided that she would as well. She had never been on a track before her first race. Her first 4 or 5 races she was getting lapped by the other kids - her goal was to just not be lapped. She has never been lapped again. Now her goal is to get the holeshot which she did twice last weekend. She's not going to win any races with some of the other fast kids running but she has a boatload of fun. :confused: I say go out to the race, sign up, hold your line and above all - have some fun. There will no doubt be some kids in your class that outright fly but, there will also be a bunch of kids that are just learning the ropes too. Good luck. :worthy:

Thanks for all the input guys, i'll see how it goes and when i can get out to the track. Might be going in a few weeks. Not a race but just a couple laps.