is this normal?

so today i went out riding. I was just cruising, went into the local abandoned track and got into this tight turn. went in second gear with almost no throttle and when trying to exit i tried gassing it hard and the bike bogged and died. tried blasting the throttle in first still bogged and died. then on the stand same. Normal or is my jetting off? Also bike has deceleration pops

bikes an 09 too

Anyone?

Normal if you have anything close to stock jetting. There are several threads on TT discussing this issue

You need to replace the main jet with a 172 or 175 depending on the temp and altitude. Stock they are usually fitted with a 188 which kills your top end pull. The leak jet needs to be changed out to a 45 or you can get the adjustable leak jet for around $100 and that takes the guess work out of the leak jet. That will stop that hell bog.

Thanks Charlie. I have the toughest problems with bog. I have a local mechanic out here that works on crf250r's with local amateur teams. Im going to ask him to change out all the jets while he adjusts my valves, hes also going to be working with me at the track so if the jettings wrong he can change it. Ya my dad said that bog was normal but i didnt think so, really made me mad though when in second in that turn barely going and tried getting out of there as fast as i could and the thing just bogged and died

Thanks Charlie. I have the toughest problems with bog. I have a local mechanic out here that works on crf250r's with local amateur teams. Im going to ask him to change out all the jets while he adjusts my valves, hes also going to be working with me at the track so if the jettings wrong he can change it. Ya my dad said that bog was normal but i didnt think so, really made me mad though when in second in that turn barely going and tried getting out of there as fast as i could and the thing just bogged and died

Not a problem dude. The 08/09 had pretty much the same issues. Be happy you're not dealing with the 06 bog issue! Takes quite a bit more to work that one out.

Let your dad know he's partially right, it is normal for just about every 08/09 to have a bog issue, but it should be far from normal. Easy fix my friend!

Not a problem dude. The 08/09 had pretty much the same issues. Be happy you're not dealing with the 06 bog issue! Takes quite a bit more to work that one out.

Let your dad know he's partially right, it is normal for just about every 08/09 to have a bog issue, but it should be far from normal. Easy fix my friend!

I will make sure he sees that! Ok I think we may try to jet it ourselves but i have a couple of questions. Is getting into the carb hard to do? To change the jets and everything? weve only changed the main jet. Second the altitude here is around 2000ft. and right now around 79-100 degrees. Honda recommend a 182 main jet, 2nd on the jet needle clip, 42 on the slow jet, and 1 turn on the pilot screw.

I will make sure he sees that! Ok I think we may try to jet it ourselves but i have a couple of questions. Is getting into the carb hard to do? To change the jets and everything? weve only changed the main jet. Second the altitude here is around 2000ft. and right now around 79-100 degrees. Honda recommend a 182 main jet, 2nd on the jet needle clip, 42 on the slow jet, and 1 turn on the pilot screw.

You can actually losen the clamp on the boot for the front of the carb and losen the clamp on the air boot to spin the carb to access the 17mm cap on the bottom of the float bowl. A 172 will be fine for your temp and altitude. To change the leak jet, you have to remove the float bowl. The leak jet is located in the float bowl itself and is going to fix 90-100% of your bog. It's about 1/4 the size of a main jet and it has a flat blade screwdriver slot. You can remove the float bowl without removing the carb, but it's pretty tricky.

Before making a bunch of changes, do the 2 things I'm telling you to do. Once you're on track, then the fine tuning can come into play. Changing the leak jet won't change the jetting at all. Changing the main you may have to adjust the needle, but run the bike first on the track and see how it feels. Get back to me after you do it and I'll walk you through the other part if you feel you need to fine tune it more.

you got it. I really appreciate it