Sign in to follow this  

dr650 sugar in gas tank

recently purchased a 99dr650 with a 2009 dr650 motor. I took the bike apart to wire the rear blinkers and noticed sloshing in the gas tank. I emptied the gas and found crystals around the rim of the tank after i emptied it. I also put a magnet in the tank to see if there was rust in there and the magnet came out covered in crystals as well. Being curious i tasted the crystals and sure enough they were sweet, definitely sugar. I rinsed the tank out several times with hot water to dissolve the sugar and then took the float bowl off the carb and it looked pretty clean.

I asked the guy i bought it from about the sugar and he said he had no idea and that sugar will dissolve in gas. Having a good knowledge of chemistry i know that sugar doesn't dissolve in gas and thats why people put it in your tank to mess everything up.

I am not sure as to what the sugar would do if it made it into the engine? or if since there wasn't any in the float bowl should i tear the engine apart?

Knothead, there was enough sugar crystals around the rim of the tank as well as on my magnet to where the sweetness far overwhelmed the foul taste of gasoline.

Having a good knowledge of chemistry i know that sugar doesn't dissolve in gas and thats why people put it in your tank to mess everything up.

And you still thought it would be a good idea to taste and unknown crystal substance found in gasoline?? Glad to see you are still on the green side of the dirt and able to discuss this with us.

Wojo, you ride a motorcycle, isn't that an additional risk that you choose to accept? I would think that riding your bike is riskier than tasting a drop of sugar/gasoline mixture.

I'm glad you're still on the green side too.

Flea

Even though the article and Montana say that sugar doesn't dissolve in gasoline, it can go into suspension and that way can get into your cylinder where high heat can melt it and mess things up.

Thorough cleaning of fuel system, and hope it runs okay.

Flea

Wojo, you ride a motorcycle, isn't that an additional risk that you choose to accept? I would think that riding your bike is riskier than tasting a drop of sugar/gasoline mixture.

Flea

Well said Flea!

Since I was a kid, I've probably swallowed more gas than whats in my lawn mower right now just from siphoning the stuff.

I hope it wasn't NutraSweet :busted: That shit will kill ya :confused:

A golf ball does a much better job than sugar. It turns into a gooey, stringy mess. :worthy:

Dont forget to clean the filter inside the fuel inlet of the carb. :thumbsup:

this. clean it out, and use it.

What is "this" supposed to mean?

Is it the new way of saying yes or I agree..... :thumbsup:

What is "this" supposed to mean?

Is it the new way of saying yes or I agree..... :thumbsup:

this:thumbsup::confused:

Flea

Apples and oranges my friend, but I'm not one for "internet arguments" so I'll respectfully bow out. See ya on the trails!

I had a costumer bring in a car in that wouldnt start. Found corn syrup in the injecters, pulled the tank, and there was about a gallon in there. I had to clean the tank, replace all injecters, fuel pump, and fuel filter then i just flushed all the lines with alot of water, blew out with air and reassembled. Vehicle then ran fine. So if your pissed off at your ex, buy corn syrup not sugar !