ims 3 gallon gas tank

has anyone installed the larger capacity 3 gallon tank on there TE 310 or 450?

was it a good upgrade? any issues with reliability?

I have one on my 2010 TE 310 and it's great. Had to use a breather with no valve though. It leaked at the fuel pump o-ring joint with a valve in the breather. Without it it works great and gives me 50% more. The sticker kit that comes optional is nice and hasn't come off in 6 months of wet conditions.

Mine's fine, on an 08 TE 250. There have been some fit problems but IMS stands behind them pretty well and I think the fit issues were with the earlier models. Price is a bit less than other choices ... You should be good for over 100 mi. with the 310..barely.

Have one on my '08 450 and I'm going to be looking elsewhere. Just doesn't have the capacity that I'm looking for if you really want to push it. Just barely breaking the 100 mile marker on the last 600+ mile Baja ride. Who else is making them?

For reference, On a carb'd and jetted '07 TE450 last week, we had the IMS 3.4gallon oversize tank on. On 2 rides in Moab we ran the tank dry. We got 132 miles with 60 miles of that pavement at 50-60mph. On the White Rim we got 118 miles on the tank, about 30 of that was pavement to that time (also bike crashed once, may have lost a bit of gas out the vent cap/carb overflow).

We only got about 3.2 gallons usable volume with the stock petcock and tipping the bike over to the left. Before the trip, at sea level, we measuered a mix of pavment and single track one day at 41mpg, same result for my '06 and '07 on same route. Both have the same tank and are essentially identical bikes. I refeuled him each time from my TE610 5 gallon tank using a empty water bottle filled from the petcock by gravity fill.

With a 3 gal tank, you might get less out of it also.

For reference, On a carb'd and jetted '07 TE450 last week, we had the IMS 3.4gallon oversize tank on. On 2 rides in Moab we ran the tank dry. We got 132 miles with 60 miles of that pavement at 50-60mph. On the White Rim we got 118 miles on the tank, about 30 of that was pavement to that time (also bike crashed once, may have lost a bit of gas out the vent cap/carb overflow).

Did the bike crash or the rider crash? :thumbsup:

Safari Tank makes one around 5 gal for desert type capacity.

They seem to have a good following if you need that much.

Did the bike crash or the rider crash? :thumbsup:

Good observation. It was a parallel activity. Rider going to fast, hit small rise, went airborne, see helmet disappear, then pop back up, then disappear. Rider located in one place, bike in another. Road turned left at bottom of rise. oops.

Bike could not deal with the well placed rocks. Rider could not deal with bucking bronc bike. Deep sand and said well placed rocks scattered in the path are the only objective witnesses.

I am thinking about adding the IMS tank to my new 10' te510. My only concern is the fit, but from what I can read it looks like that was only a problem with the first runs of them. Looks like they may have gotten that squared away. Most of the guys I ride with only have 2-3 gallon tanks, even in the desert we tend to stick to 100 miles or less loops. Add that to the fact that I think the Safari tank will make the bike to bulky in the wood trails we do. So for me the 3 gallon should fit my needs and be easier on the bank account. I would like to see some pics of guys with it already installed.

DSCF2061.jpg

Anyone familiar with the manufacturer of this tank? Not my bike.

DSCF2585.jpg

Here's a better shot of that tank taken from DirtAddict.com forum.

Both pics are of non fuel injected Huskys, so probably still IMS or safari.

I have the 3.0 IMS on an 08 husky 450 and don't like it. I'm on my second one, had to hack up the seat mold to get it to fit and it sits on the bike slightly crooked. I think it also looks terrible with out the side plastics. Many folks have commented on rides how my bike looks Terminatorish. Ive mounted the side plastics with the many ideas tossed around and didn't like any of them. So far fuel quanity still out weighs looks.

I do have to say though, when returning my leaking 1st to get the 2nd, IMS and justgastanks.com were terrific in expediting that. No issues at all.

Both pics are of non fuel injected Huskys, so probably still IMS or safari.

I have the 3.0 IMS on an 08 husky 450 and don't like it. I'm on my second one, had to hack up the seat mold to get it to fit and it sits on the bike slightly crooked. I think it also looks terrible with out the side plastics. Many folks have commented on rides how my bike looks Terminatorish. Ive mounted the side plastics with the many ideas tossed around and didn't like any of them. So far fuel quanity still out weighs looks.

I do have to say though, when returning my leaking 1st to get the 2nd, IMS and justgastanks.com were terrific in expediting that. No issues at all.

I ended up with a good 3rd tank on my 08 510. 1st one leaked at a seam the day after installation, 2nd had brass inserts that were oblong and wouldn't accept the pump bolts, 3rd was true blue and held up to my bashing, crashing and otherwise normal use.

On my 250, the 1st tank leaked around the pump mount due to warping between the inserts. Just Gas Tanks and IMS handled that transaction professionally and expediently under warranty(received new tank in 5 days). Replacement cost me nothing but my labor to swap components, and a short drive to UPS :thumbsup:

DSCF2061.jpg

Anyone familiar with the manufacturer of this tank? Not my bike.

IMS 3.4 gallon. I have one on my '06 TE450 and son's '07 TE450. Both are carbed. Work great., Got 118 and 132 miles to empty in Moab last month.

The 08+ bikes are FI and so must accomodate the FI pump inside, and clear the radiator fan. No fans on the '07 and earlier bikes. So the tanks are different.

No fans on the '07 and earlier bikes. So the tanks are different.

My 2007 TE510 has a factory installed fan. It was originally a "Euro-3" emissions bike.

First off a hello to all, new to the forum so will try not to embarass myself too much... currently being offered a 2008 te450 (with the fast six days graphics) and looking to extend the range of the bike for some rally raids I plan on doing, has anyone got pictures of their bike with the IMS 3 gallon tank?

was wondering if you can somehow adapt either the upper (red) or lower (black) radiator shrouds to it...

I have seen the Safari tank option, and while it looks great, it's just too much fuel for me... thanks!

http://gallery.me.com/glangston1#100438&view=null&bgcolor=black&sel=32 Towards the end of that group of pictures there are pics of the tank on the bike, both with the shrouds and without.

Most people just trim the lower shroud so it doesn't rub on the tank. The tank shrouds can be affixed by various methods, some more permanent than others. I attempted a velcro solution but wasn't really satisfied. Auto adhesive might work better (3M stuff that holds on auto badges etc). Others have used various glues and some worked pretty well. The shroud has to be trimmed of some parts but you'll see quickly where that is. I used a dremel for that. There are some tank decals (with holes) from Hall's cycles that duplicate the look of the shrouds. I ended up with a bare tank.

It is hard for me to believe that you only got 100 miles in baja on an IMS 3.4 gallon tank on a carbed TE 450. What gearing were you using and what type of trails were you riding on?

We ran 3.4's and 3.9 IMS tanks on our TC 450 and 510's, and got 100+ miles racing speed in Baja, running 15/46 gearing. Makes me wonder if maybe you have a leak somewhere in your tank.

http://gallery.me.com/glangston1#100438&view=null&bgcolor=black&sel=32 Towards the end of that group of pictures there are pics of the tank on the bike, both with the shrouds and without.

Appreciate the info & pics glangston, the 250 looks great... might just go with some kind of epoxy glue for the upper shrouds, although I am warming to the bare tank & lower shrouds look after seeing your album..

the pics of the bare tank on the IMS website made the bike look hideous